A Tremendous Dissapointment, or why I quit playing Salem

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: A Tremendous Dissapointment, or why I quit playing Salem

Postby staxjax » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:25 am

lol, the is no pathfinding. How can you even say it sucks if it doesn't exist?
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby JinxDevona » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:17 am

:lol: Hardcore players only? No, not really. I'm not "hardcore" by far and I love Salem. Also, if the devs original game is any indication... this game will do great. Also you can't judge this game by other Paradox games, different game, different concept, different devs. Not to mention, IMHO, anyone who plays a few days and quits has no idea what the game entails.
Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't. ~Margaret Thatcher
JinxDevona

Postby Shiala » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:24 am

scypheroth wrote:Right now its only attracted the hardcore assholes of the gaming world.

Funny, I'm not a hardcore ******* and I love this game.
Shiala

Postby Oddity » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:43 am

Potjeh wrote:Enforcing specialization with game mechanics only serves to promote alts. It should be players that specialize rather than their characters, and the benefits should be increased efficiency due to higher player skill in a specific industry and removal of task-switching overhead.

How can a player specialize?
Let me know when it's H&H World 7.
Oddity

Postby ramuller » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:19 pm

Oddity wrote:
Potjeh wrote:Enforcing specialization with game mechanics only serves to promote alts. It should be players that specialize rather than their characters, and the benefits should be increased efficiency due to higher player skill in a specific industry and removal of task-switching overhead.

By choosing which skills to learn, what activities in the game to pursue, what structures to add to ones compound, and which proficiencies to raise to very high levels (eventually they will all give small bonuses to specific activities). Generally a player who specializes in portions of the game plays the game as part of a town that also has people specializing in other things (you might have agriculturists, miner/smiths, and fighter characters as well as lower level types who simply gather the simpler resources).
Swordmage
ramuller

Postby Sevenless » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:30 pm

Oddity wrote:

Enforcing specialization doesn't have to though. Making penalties against other activities to specialize does. Giving nothing but bonuses that reward time input does not terribly encourage the use of alts because you have to put the time in on someone.

This is a little different from haven due to PP gain being mostly an active grind. There's one reason, but it's not one 90% of players will notice I'd bet. I'm dead certain allowing specialization will encourage more trading than is currently done.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Previous

Return to City upon a Hill