Trump's Policies

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: Trump's Policies

Postby TotalyMeow » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:33 pm

Darwoth wrote:also i suspect the real way mexico will pick up the tab will be through the renegotiated trade deals. since the US has all the power in that discussion it will be easy to leverage mexico into favorable terms.

I always figured it would be something like this. Obviously when Trump says Mexico is going to pay for the wall, Mexico is not going to just agree to cut a check or whatever and outright pay for it.

He's also already working on the second part, which might be more important, removing illegal immigrants. And he doesn't even have to change any laws to do it, the laws are already there. He gave a speech telling law enforcement agencies that he wants them to enforce the laws and that he will support them in their efforts, and authorizing a the hiring of more ICE agents. He's going to negotiate for Mexico to stop refusing to extradite criminals when we catch them. And he's already signed an EO declaring that federal funding will be withdrawn (excluding that needed for security) from any area that continues to refuse to enforce the laws we already have.

This is having an additional interesting effect of forcing Democrats to speak out against a powerful federal government and in favor of power to the local and state governments, something that Republicans want and have been fighting Democrats over for a long time, Democrats wanting a bigger federal government.

Which leads to an interesting theory I heard yesterday, that a good bit of Trump's egotistical posturing might be mostly him trolling and distracting the media, making them run around doing a lot of extra fact checking to prove that Trump's crowd wasn't the biggest or he doesn't have a 112% approval rating while he just rolls along getting **** done. He certainly does seem to be working hard to do all the things he said he would, making him truthful where it really counts, so I don't know, maybe? If so, he's a mad genius and I look forward to seeing what happens next.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby Dallane » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:10 pm

TotalyMeow wrote:Which leads to an interesting theory I heard yesterday, that a good bit of Trump's egotistical posturing might be mostly him trolling and distracting the media, making them run around doing a lot of extra fact checking to prove that Trump's crowd wasn't the biggest or he doesn't have a 112% approval rating while he just rolls along getting **** done. He certainly does seem to be working hard to do all the things he said he would, making him truthful where it really counts, so I don't know, maybe? If so, he's a mad genius and I look forward to seeing what happens next.

It's only been 5 days since this mad man took office and he has done most of what he promised! WTF is he going to do for the next 8 years?
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Forungi » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Dallane wrote:
It's only been 5 days since this mad man took office and he has done most of what he promised! WTF is he going to do for the next 8 years?

It's simple.

Donald Trump will make America great again.
Forungi

Postby TotalyMeow » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:28 pm

Forungi wrote:
Dallane wrote:

It's simple.

Donald Trump will make America great again.

Exactly, you beat me to it. :lol:

TotalyMeow

Postby Claeyt » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:21 pm

Of course none of it is either funded or legal so far. :roll:

1. Trump can say he wants to spend 14 billion on a wall all he wants but congress won't pay for it and it's meaningless anyways because it still would just be a steel wall out in the desert unless you triple the size of the border security for billions more.

2. Trump can say he wants a 20% tax on all Mexican imports to pay for the wall or to tax money going back to Mexico but both of those end NAFTA and would be met with Mexico doing the same and lead to an economic trade war.

3. Trump can say he won't let in people from those 7 Muslim countries but that doesn't make it legal as it's based on discrimination based on religion also it would require congress to change immigration law.

4. Trump can threaten to hold billions from sanctuary cities but the only Fed to local funding is stuff like headstart as most goes through states and on top of that it's unconstitutional to withhold grants and federal funding from specific cities like that and the fact is that it'll never pass in federal courts.

5. Trump can say he's bringing back torture but it's illegal by congressional law as of 2013 so saying that he will is not only illegal but stupid.

6. All the rest (opening the pipelines), silencing all scientific research and departments is just plain not going to happen. The pipelines are done by the army corp of engineers and not changed by executive order. The silencing of global climate change science is dumb also as it's open to Freedom of information act law.

7. All of these are just him saying "I want this to happen" they hold no force of law and are not funded or passed.
Claeyt

Postby AcidSpiral » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:38 pm

I can't believe Claeyt voted for Trump.
AcidSpiral
Customer

Postby Dallane » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:31 am

clay listed a bunch of **** he has no idea about lol

Peso is tumbling and they are going to get a 20% tax on imports

The winning never stops!!!!!!!!!!

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Thursday that Congress was moving ahead with a plan to build a wall on the southern border of the US. He estimated the cost to be between $12 to $15 billion.

God I would hate the live the life of clay. clay is proved wrong with every second America is winning.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Irving » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:21 am

Dallane wrote:clay listed a bunch of **** he has no idea about lol

Peso is tumbling and they are going to get a 20% tax on imports

The winning never stops!!!!!!!!!!

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Thursday that Congress was moving ahead with a plan to build a wall on the southern border of the US. He estimated the cost to be between $12 to $15 billion.

God I would hate the live the life of clay. clay is proved wrong with every second America is winning.

I get that you are happy that Trump is doing his work but why celebrate that mexican peso is crumbling down?
IM BACK!
Irving

Postby TotalyMeow » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:40 am

Claeyt wrote:Of course none of it is either funded or legal so far. :roll:
1. Trump can say he wants to spend 14 billion on a wall all he wants but congress won't pay for it and it's meaningless anyways because it still would just be a steel wall out in the desert unless you triple the size of the border security for billions more.

2. Trump can say he wants a 20% tax on all Mexican imports to pay for the wall or to tax money going back to Mexico but both of those end NAFTA and would be met with Mexico doing the same and lead to an economic trade war.

3. Trump can say he won't let in people from those 7 Muslim countries but that doesn't make it legal as it's based on discrimination based on religion also it would require congress to change immigration law.

4. Trump can threaten to hold billions from sanctuary cities but the only Fed to local funding is stuff like headstart as most goes through states and on top of that it's unconstitutional to withhold grants and federal funding from specific cities like that and the fact is that it'll never pass in federal courts.

5. Trump can say he's bringing back torture but it's illegal by congressional law as of 2013 so saying that he will is not only illegal but stupid.

6. All the rest (opening the pipelines), silencing all scientific research and departments is just plain not going to happen. The pipelines are done by the army corp of engineers and not changed by executive order. The silencing of global climate change science is dumb also as it's open to Freedom of information act law.

7. All of these are just him saying "I want this to happen" they hold no force of law and are not funded or passed.

It is indeed being done in a legal way.

Most of these things are things he can do, actually. Some of them are just him saying "I want this to happen", but he is the president, and he was voted into office because he said he wanted to do these things. Representatives who want to keep their seats will do well to listen to what people want, the things Trump is trying to do, and fund his programs.

14 billion on a wall isn't much compared to the total budget, and I know I don't mind if some of my taxes go to paying for it. Even if no money ever comes from any part of a trade deal with Mexico, I'd much rather pay for a wall than for the incarceration of someone who shouldn't even be here or the welfare of a woman who came here illegally and managed to have a baby here. And it's not likely going to be a big steel wall, this isn't ancient China. The 'wall' might not even be visible as a wall, or might have just a token chain link, but it can still be very effective if it can only tell the border patrol WHEN and WHERE someone crosses it. Seismic sensors, tiny cameras, electromagnetic field sensors, vibration sensors, motion sensors, there's a long list of options that need no actual fence but will still let us stop illegal border crossings.

The 7 countries thing is not illegal at all, actually. Most of those people aren't coming here under immigration laws but under a refugee quotient ordered by the executive branch which President Trump only needs to reduce back to historic levels. And they aren't being discriminated against by religion, but by nationality, which is a different thing entirely as these are nations which are hostile to us. In fact our immigration laws already quota by country so he isn't changing anything.

There's already been an EO signed on the matter of 'sanctuary' cities. It states that funding will be removed for everything except those funds needed for security, and it doesn't mention individual cities but rather states and districts. The funny thing is, I'm pretty sure the funding itself is mostly unconstitutional since the Federal government is only supposed to be administering and funding those things that are necessary for the nation as a whole. States are supposed to handle statewide issues and the cities themselves are meant to handle citywide issues, but the pork has piled on over the years.

There have also been EOs regarding those pipelines which are really only reversing EOs that Obama created to stop them. And since the environmental impact of the pipelines had already been judged minimal and they had been approved to go ahead and Obama blocked them purely for the hype, he was the one in the wrong. In fact, those pipes are much safer and economical than the alternative, which is transporting the oil by train.

I'm not sure what you mean about silencing research departments. If you mean departments of the executive branch, I'm pretty sure Trump has the authority to tell them what to do.

TotalyMeow

Postby core1984 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:49 am

TotalyMeow wrote:14 billion on a wall isn't much compared to the total budget, and I know I don't mind if some of my taxes go to paying for it.

I read on reddit that under the obama adminitration the US debt has risen by 40bil every 12 days, so spending this 14b for the wall seems nothing compeared to the debt obama administration has made
core1984

PreviousNext

Return to City upon a Hill