Trump's Policies

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Trump's Policies

Postby TotalyMeow » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:47 pm

Let's talk about them here instead of in the Inauguration thread or one of the Obama theads or whatever. I really liked the inauguration itself and his speech during it, but his policies so far are a bit of a mixed bag. We're just getting started, so there's not a lot happened yet but here are a few things I like or don't.

Good: The EO diminishing Obamacare with the aim of getting rid of it entirely. I've said a few times on the forum what a pile of crap I think Obamacare is and how it can't be gone soon enough. No need to rehash that here. It's not just good that he's trying to get rid of it, it's also good that he's fulfilling a promise he made to get rid of it. It's good to see a president promise to do something and then waste no time doing what he can to fulfill that promise. That goes for some of his other EOs as well. As far as I've seen, they're all good and all part of what he said he would do if elected.

Bad: Narcissism. I know I'm not the only one that's noticed how he constantly had to mention how big his businesses were during the campaign, and he's continuing in that vein still. The guy is the ***** leader of the USA, probably the most powerful country in the world, and he gets hung up on crowd sizes, trying to claim that his was the biggest ever because he can't stand to have anyone surpass him at anything. Well too ***** bad, Obama's crowd was much bigger than any other president's has ever been thanks to its historic significance, and Trumps was average. I can see getting a little miffed when people try to underestimate it and claim that that means something, but sending your press secretary out to berate the press on the issue, him trying to say that there's no good way to estimate and then trying to estimate thereby painting Conway into a corner so that she had to try to explain the whole stupid thing without actually being able to admit it was a whole stupid thing and therefore saying something idiotic herself, is behavior that just makes me want to bang my head on my desk. Plus, it calls into question what they might lie about next, and why? So Trump can inflate his ego a little more? Bah.

Meh: His proposed isolationist foreign policy: This one's kinda iffy. He said in his inauguration speech that he wants to stop meddling in other countries' politics, and for the most part that's a good thing. Reagan had the idea that we should not go out and try to force our views on the rest of the world, but rather we should do our best to be awesome and make other countries jealous of what we have so they'll try to be like us. Good policy, because if we manage to actually be awesome that's good for us, and it might change some minds. Whether it does or not, at least we're not starting wars all the time. However, Trump has also mentioned, as part of that, some notions that we should isolate ourselves tradewise, and that is a very bad idea. The world is far too interconnected to try to cut ourselves off from it and it will not result in economic recovery for us. Instead, he just needs to make the US a good place to do business again, especially a good place to START new business again. On the bright side, I hear he's announced plans to cut a lot of regulations so that's a step in the right direction.

Good: He calls the media out on their *****. The media loved Obama and so ignored it when he did bad things while magnifying his good side. They hate Trump and try to ignore it when he does good things while magnifying his bad side. Sometimes they make things up, like that thing about the MLK bust the other day. I think it's good that the press secretary then berated them for that behavior (though kinda sad that that was his first act in his new position), and it's a crying shame that at the same time he gave them fodder to redirect everyone's attention once again to Trump's inflated ego. One hopes that if their bad behavior gets pointed out often enough, they'll mend their ways and do their jobs of neutrally reporting the facts.

Bad: He's not a Republican. I'm not a Republican either, but I am a Libertarian, which is also a small government party. Trump doesn't seem to be about small government though. Many things he says seem to indicate that he is more of a Right-wing Populist, which is not a party we've had in the US, until now, and not a party I really agree with.

There's more, but I don't want to text wall.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Re: Trump's Policies

Postby saltmummy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:26 am

TotalyMeow wrote:There's more, but I don't want to text wall.

You could confine each point to spoilers creating a spoiler wall, or just lump each category into it's own spoiler to form handy and easy to expand/collapse text walls.

He is quiet the narcissist, and that's about all that seriously bugs me about him. The rest is either "oh that's good." or "oh, I couldn't care less about that." I don't like the guy, but at least he seems to be doing well so far.

TotalyMeow wrote:Good: He calls the media out on their *****. The media loved Obama and so ignored it when he did bad things while magnifying his good side. They hate Trump and try to ignore it when he does good things while magnifying his bad side. Sometimes they make things up, like that thing about the MLK bust the other day. I think it's good that the press secretary then berated them for that behavior (though kinda sad that that was his first act in his new position), and it's a crying shame that at the same time he gave them fodder to redirect everyone's attention once again to Trump's inflated ego. One hopes that if their bad behavior gets pointed out often enough, they'll mend their ways and do their jobs of neutrally reporting the facts.

Remember when the news was the news and not a 24 hour, 7 days a week, opinion piece? It was before my time, if anyone has any idea what it was like then I'd really like to know.
Darwoth wrote:you know, cause they were obviously fascist white supremacist burrito nazis.

I had a great dream where I was a handsome skeleton in a tower.
saltmummy

Postby Irving » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:58 am

One thing i have seen that should bother americans is the people he picked for certain jobs. Like the lady that will be in charge of the educational money... I was seeing a bit of her interviews and damn she sounds like she doesnt know **** about her new job. Just got to that place thanks to money and connections.
IM BACK!
Irving

Postby MarpTarpton » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:09 pm

Procne wrote: Devs have again proven that they dont give a crap about untalented and lazy players.
MarpTarpton
Site Admin

Postby TotalyMeow » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:13 pm

Irving wrote:One thing i have seen that should bother americans is the people he picked for certain jobs. Like the lady that will be in charge of the educational money... I was seeing a bit of her interviews and damn she sounds like she doesnt know **** about her new job. Just got to that place thanks to money and connections.

She seems okay to me. One thing not even everyone in the US understands is that the Federal government actually isn't supposed to have any oversite of our education system at all. It is supposed to be entirely in the hands of state and local government. The federal government has been slowly, over the years, trying to put more and more of their fingers into the education pie and frankly the best thing she could do would be to try to eliminate the need for her own position.

MarpTarpton wrote:Image

I don't get it...

TotalyMeow

Postby Dallane » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:20 am

TotalyMeow wrote:
MarpTarpton wrote:Image

I don't get it...

They posted incorrect information and aren't following the presidents order to stop social media posting.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby TotalyMeow » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:10 am

Dallane wrote:They posted incorrect information and aren't following the presidents order to stop social media posting.

Yeah, I'm told they posted some sort of horrible thing about what happened to Japanese Americans during WWII, which is just awful, trying to stir up hate like that.

Edit: It looks like the whitehouse.gov section with memoranda and executive orders has been updated fully now.

TotalyMeow

Postby MarpTarpton » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:17 pm

Wall payment policy:

PRESIDENT TRUMP: Correct.

DAVID MUIR: Are you going to direct U.S. funds to pay for this wall? Will American taxpayers pay for the wall?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: Ultimately it'll come out of what's happening with Mexico. We're gonna be starting those negotiations relatively soon. And we will be in a form reimbursed by Mexico which I will say ...

DAVID MUIR: So, they'll pay us back?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: Yeah, absolutely, 100 percent.

DAVID MUIR: So, the American taxpayer will pay for the wall at first?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: All it is, is we'll be reimbursed at a later date from whatever transaction we make from Mexico. Now, I could wait a year and I could hold off the wall. But I wanna build the wall. We have to build the wall. We have to stop drugs from pouring in. We have to stop people from just pouring into our country. We have no idea where they're from. And I campaigned on the wall. And it's very important. But that wall will cost us nothing.

DAVID MUIR: But you talked -- often about Mexico paying for the wall. And you, again, say they'll pay us back. Mexico's president said in recent days that Mexico absolutely will not pay, adding that, "It goes against our dignity as a country and our dignity as Mexicans." He says ...

(OVERTALK)

PRESIDENT TRUMP: David, he has to say that. He has to say that. But I'm just telling you there will be a payment. It will be in a form, perhaps a complicated form. And you have to understand what I'm doing is good for the United States. It's also going to be good for Mexico.

Source: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/transcri ... d=45047602

In other words,

President Trump wrote: Don't worry everyone, the check is in the mail.
Procne wrote: Devs have again proven that they dont give a crap about untalented and lazy players.
MarpTarpton
Site Admin

Postby Dallane » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:34 pm

LOL LOVE IT!

Who cares if "we" pay the wall. We already pay for retarded **** like crazy as it is. Hopefully he defunds these rogue departments so we can buy a bigger wall.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Darwoth » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:54 pm

yeah i have never cared who paid for the wall and would gladly see tax money go to it, i would even donate personal funds to it if needed.

at the end of the day however regardless of any political chest puffing on either side or agreements made he is 100% correct, mexico will absolutely pay for the wall. the second largest income stream for mexico right behind their state owned oil company is money sent back by the illegals, money that leaves our economy and goes to theirs. money that will remain here if even a portion of the illegals are reduced.
Darwoth

Next

Return to City upon a Hill