Fort Lauderdale Airport Shooting

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: Fort Lauderdale Airport Shooting

Postby saffgee » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:32 am

Not that I want to defend Claeyt in any way (also because this part of the argument is moot to a degree), but International airports are different.

From wikipedia:
For international arrivals, the baggage reclaim area is a restricted area, after immigration control and before clearing customs, so that all baggage can be inspected by customs agents,[2] but the passenger does not have to handle heavy baggage while moving through the passport booth. In the United States and Canada, and also in some airports in Asia, all arriving international passengers' baggage is claimed here and can be re-surrendered to the airline for connecting flights on the other side of customs (for connection from international to domestic flights in most countries, all passengers must claim their baggage). In most other countries passengers transferring to an onward flight do not need to collect their bags unless their airline does not offer to check their bags to their final destination. This is required in American and some Canadian airports because international terminals are not enclosed (the only exit being through customs) and often serve domestic flights. The same rule applies in the case of airports that have U.S. border preclearance facilities. This means that passengers continuing onto the U.S. from other cities must retrieve their checked baggage first, then re-check them after clearing U.S. Customs.
Depending on the airport, the domestic baggage reclaim area may be located next to or shared with the international reclaim area, or sometimes located in the public part of the airport alongside car rental desks and airport exits, and only passengers at their final destination claim their bags here. In most large airports in the United States and in some small ones as well, the domestic baggage reclaim is located on a different floor than the ticket counter, usually lower.

In other words, its generally US and Canadian airports that are the only ones that have open baggage areas at international airports as well (due to the domestic flights), but international arrivals will always reclaim in a restricted area before exiting. The rest of the world will likely have restricted baggage areas as a rule and in my experience always do.
saffgee
Customer

Postby AcidSpiral » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:47 am

saffgee wrote:
Not that I want to defend Claeyt in any way (also because this part of the argument is moot to a degree), but International airports are different.

From wikipedia:
For international arrivals, the baggage reclaim area is a restricted area, after immigration control and before clearing customs, so that all baggage can be inspected by customs agents,[2] but the passenger does not have to handle heavy baggage while moving through the passport booth. In the United States and Canada, and also in some airports in Asia, all arriving international passengers' baggage is claimed here and can be re-surrendered to the airline for connecting flights on the other side of customs (for connection from international to domestic flights in most countries, all passengers must claim their baggage). In most other countries passengers transferring to an onward flight do not need to collect their bags unless their airline does not offer to check their bags to their final destination. This is required in American and some Canadian airports because international terminals are not enclosed (the only exit being through customs) and often serve domestic flights. The same rule applies in the case of airports that have U.S. border preclearance facilities. This means that passengers continuing onto the U.S. from other cities must retrieve their checked baggage first, then re-check them after clearing U.S. Customs.
Depending on the airport, the domestic baggage reclaim area may be located next to or shared with the international reclaim area, or sometimes located in the public part of the airport alongside car rental desks and airport exits, and only passengers at their final destination claim their bags here. In most large airports in the United States and in some small ones as well, the domestic baggage reclaim is located on a different floor than the ticket counter, usually lower.

In other words, its generally US and Canadian airports that are the only ones that have open baggage areas at international airports as well (due to the domestic flights), but international arrivals will always reclaim in a restricted area before exiting. The rest of the world will likely have restricted baggage areas as a rule and in my experience always do.

1) You're quoting Wikipedia...

2) This applies only to luggage that has to pass through customs. Claeyt's argument was about airports not having baggage claim areas where anyone can walk in off the street, which is simply not true. The three international airports (Charlotte-Douglas, Orlando and Houston) I've personally flown out of country at all had open baggage claim areas with minimal, if any, security. Yes we had to claim our luggage at customs for international flights but all domestic luggage was in an open area with taxi solicitors, buses, people's rides etc. sitting right outside the door... My ride usually meets me at baggage claim to help me carry my luggage to the car no matter which airport I'm flying into.
AcidSpiral
Customer

Postby Dallane » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:33 am

saffgee wrote:Not that I want to defend Claeyt in any way (also because this part of the argument is moot to a degree), but International airports are different.

From wikipedia:

You are just a big a retard as cleaty for quoting or getting any information from wikipedia for a argument.

Also San Antonio's baggage claim is right next to the exit. Atlanta is also. I remember all too well since I got stuck there overnight due to bad weather.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby saffgee » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:30 am

My point was not to support Claeyt, but to refute the both of you who said:

Dallane wrote:
AcidSpiral wrote:Every airport I have ever been in has open access to baggage claim. Most of those international airports. I could write a big long winded post but honestly the only thing that needs to be said...

Claeyt you're a ***** idiot.

Just further proves that cleaty has never actually seen the world outside of his window.

The world is very different to the US and clearly neither of you get out much. I know the shooting was in the US, but you act as though the thought a baggage area might be restricted was utter nonsense - it's not, the majority of the world says differently, even if most US airports don't.

As an aside, wikipedia is obviously correct most of the time on fairly generic topics, so why not use it ?
saffgee
Customer

Postby TotalyMeow » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:55 am

saffgee wrote:The world is very different to the US and clearly neither of you get out much. I know the shooting was in the US, but you act as though the thought a baggage area might be restricted was utter nonsense - it's not, the majority of the world says differently, even if most US airports don't.

As an aside, wikipedia is obviously correct most of the time on fairly generic topics, so why not use it ?

Yes, other countries will have different setups for their airports, maybe. But the entire context of this thread is US airports and how easy it is to get a gun into the baggage claim. That baggage claim being the domestic one, not customs. You add caveats just so you can try to look smart but it doesn't really work.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby Dallane » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:52 am

saffgee wrote:My point was not to support Claeyt, but to refute the both of you who said:

Dallane wrote:
AcidSpiral wrote:Every airport I have ever been in has open access to baggage claim. Most of those international airports. I could write a big long winded post but honestly the only thing that needs to be said...

Just further proves that cleaty has never actually seen the world outside of his window.

The world is very different to the US and clearly neither of you get out much. I know the shooting was in the US, but you act as though the thought a baggage area might be restricted was utter nonsense - it's not, the majority of the world says differently, even if most US airports don't.

Why would I want to see anything other than the greatest country god put on this earth?

Why are you talking about places outside of the US when it has been very clear from the get go that we are talking about US gun RIGHTS and US airports. We aren't talking about whatever Orwellian eurotrash airports you are referring to.

Wikipedia is quite obviously not a accredited or reputable source.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby saffgee » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:10 pm

TotalyMeow wrote:
saffgee wrote:The world is very different to the US and clearly neither of you get out much. I know the shooting was in the US, but you act as though the thought a baggage area might be restricted was utter nonsense - it's not, the majority of the world says differently, even if most US airports don't.

Yes, other countries will have different setups for their airports, maybe. But the entire context of this thread is US airports and how easy it is to get a gun into the baggage claim. That baggage claim being the domestic one, not customs. You add caveats just so you can try to look smart but it doesn't really work.

Nope, Claeyt started on about international airports and was then told that he is an idiot (I'll reserve judgement on that) because ALL international airports have open baggage claims - a statement which is simply untrue (even just talking US btw). You and the others then did try and caveat that by saying the ones you/they had personally visited and even rattled off lists. I, like you, add caveats because they are needed to provide clarifying context, but that's a style critique I can live with.

However if you want to go back to talking solely about US airports and domestic arrivals as this is where it happened, that's fine and I'll crawl back in my hole. I did after all state in my opening line that the point was moot, but as a "walk-in to baggage claim unhindered" style killing spree is clearly only possible in the US and Canada as per the extremely unreliable but weirdly in this case true wikipedia entry I posted, it seemed a point worth making. Whatever.
saffgee
Customer

Postby AcidSpiral » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:40 pm

saffgee wrote:
TotalyMeow wrote:

Nope, Claeyt started on about international airports and was then told that he is an idiot (I'll reserve judgement on that) because ALL international airports have open baggage claims - a statement which is simply untrue (even just talking US btw). You and the others then did try and caveat that by saying the ones you/they had personally visited and even rattled off lists. I, like you, add caveats because they are needed to provide clarifying context, but that's a style critique I can live with.

However if you want to go back to talking solely about US airports and domestic arrivals as this is where it happened, that's fine and I'll crawl back in my hole. I did after all state in my opening line that the point was moot, but as a "walk-in to baggage claim unhindered" style killing spree is clearly only possible in the US and Canada as per the extremely unreliable but weirdly in this case true wikipedia entry I posted, it seemed a point worth making. Whatever.

International airports in this context was referring to US airports with international travel. Not foreign airports.

As for you saying that anyone said ALL international airports have open baggage claims, please go back and read. Don't try to get involved if you can't even get the facts about what has been said in this thread right.

AcidSpiral
Customer

Previous

Return to City upon a Hill