Which Salem RAID mechanics do you prefer ?

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Which Salem raid-mechanics do you prefer, if you had a choice ?

Salem anno 2012
14%
Salem pre-wipe (2014)
18%
Salem anno 2015 (pre-expeditions)
6%
Salem currently
62%

Total votes : 50

Which Salem RAID mechanics do you prefer ?

Postby Judaism » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:13 am

Which Salem raid-mechanics do you prefer if you had a choice ?

I am really curious how the playerbase looks back older raid versions of Salem, please do vote your preference.

Extra information (subjective):

Salem anno 2012, raiding was much quicker in general, only had stone walls and limited game mechanics compared to now. Raiding-wise everything was extremely easy compared to now. A 200 biled character would do up to 8% per tick, scents lasted much longer (murder was 90 days). In general it was much more common to die or get raided. Crits on defensive structures would not care about current BB, you would simply get knocked out on claim. There were no trail by fires, poopclaims, trail by combat or anything alike, repairing any damage was instant. There were no skills like arson or anything alike. There was no splash damage back then either, people would just stack up layers of walls. End-game was reached relatively quickly.

Salem pre-wipe (2014), raiding was slightly harder due to new plank walls, splash damage was also implemented. Most of the previous listed things were still simular.

Salem anno early 2015 (pre-expeditions), raiding was still easier than nowadays. The brick walls were added, brazier range got nerfed (braziers used to have torchpost ranges).The trail by fires were also implemented however no stockades, TBC's, poopclaims and mortars. Town claims/boundaries weren't destructible up till late 2015.

Salem today, raiding has to deal with new types of walls and new types of defenses, the drain on pclaims has gotten more and there are no ways to regen biles on crimes anymore. (Only was possible briefly with tea) Crits from defence structures are more common now, however they deal damage based on current blackbile and blood. Stockades are worse than start implemention, criminals now gain madness if they decide to dodge the stockades by forcing online. Scents duration got reduced between anno 2015 and now, they last between 1 and 2 weeks now. TBF's TBC's and poopclaims are mortarable now, requires more active defending or a larger investment now. Repairing is also extremely expensive now compared to back in the days.
Last edited by Judaism on Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:05 am, edited 6 times in total.
JohnCarver wrote:Mortal Moments Inc. is not here to cannibalize the community or piece out the code. We are not here because we wish to institute pay to win models or PvE servers. Quite the contrary.
Judaism
Customer

Re: Which Salem do you prefer ?

Postby Dallane » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:27 am

Why don't you word it to be with the different types of raiding we have had instead of salem years. I much prefer the current salem except for the extremely long but more importantly BORING AS ***** raiding.

Edit. Seems I was right. Only you and a few KKK that are online now voted the same lol.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Judaism » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:30 am

Dallane wrote:Why don't you word it to be with the different types of raiding we have had instead of salem years. I much prefer the current salem except for the extremely long but more importantly BORING AS ***** raiding.

Very few people still raid in general or have done so with previous mechanics and it would make most people to vote regardless of that. Thats why I have also tried to list some aspects of character development and such, some people might be looking for faster paste gameplay in general and such.
JohnCarver wrote:Mortal Moments Inc. is not here to cannibalize the community or piece out the code. We are not here because we wish to institute pay to win models or PvE servers. Quite the contrary.
Judaism
Customer

Postby Iracus » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:31 am

Didn't vote as I have no experience with any Salem except back in beta were I played for a week or two maybe.

But here is my view on how Salem is currently. At the current moment I enjoy most everything I have experienced in Salem. But I am fairly certain I will reach a point where I am just bored with no milestone to chase after. While I would like to get into raiding (solo), trying to raid anything more than a ****** abandoned claim seems more trouble than it is worth. And once I do my current goal of getting a darkness/witch alt and a pvp alt geared up. I am not sure what will be the point of playing this game. I can only do so much mining or collecting water for making leather before I loose my mind. Also with the seemingly low player base, trying to do any sort of major trading is just not really worth the effort.

If there was more options for creating bases, mainly on the decorative front, then I would be able to keep creating misc endgame goals. But basebuilding right now is fairly dull and has limited options for making things actually look nice rather than the oh so common 100x100 gem stone paved base.
Iracus

Postby Dallane » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:33 am

Judaism wrote:
Dallane wrote:Why don't you word it to be with the different types of raiding we have had instead of salem years. I much prefer the current salem except for the extremely long but more importantly BORING AS ***** raiding.

Very few people still raid in general or have done so with previous mechanics and it would make most people to vote regardless of that. Thats why I have also tried to list some aspects of character development and such, some people might be looking for faster paste gameplay in general and such.

The only thing faster pace compared to now is breaking down a wall. Literally every part of salem has gotten 200x better with the exception of pvp and raiding. You made a total fail poll which a vast majority are going to vote for the current build. They have zero reason to like earlier years because there wasn't as much in the game or they were not there for it.

I understand what you are trying to do but I'm telling you that you need to reword it. Make this about what you are really talking about which is raiding mechanics instead of being vague as ***** hinting to pvp.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Lallaith » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:52 am

I really love the new content and all but yeah, i'd rather play an earlier version because raiding.

Let us all hope the devs manage to fulfill their intentions to fix it.
Lallaith

Postby Reviresco » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:04 am

Not going to vote because I joined in mid-2015, but I have an obliquely related question: how did Salem retain players when raiding was so much more common? It seems like in present day that a significant portion of people who lose their main holdings/characters quit.
Reviresco

Postby saltmummy » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:08 am

Iracus wrote:Didn't vote as I have no experience with any Salem except back in beta were I played for a week or two maybe.

About the same for me, played a few month in the beta, never got into raiding, and never touched it again because of how convoluted I thought everything was. I guess I would rather play what we have right now because of all the quality of life improvements compared to what I experienced way back then. Since this is apparently about raid mechanics, I guess I will also have to abstain from this vote as I have no clue what raiding was like prior to my return.
Darwoth wrote:you know, cause they were obviously fascist white supremacist burrito nazis.

I had a great dream where I was a handsome skeleton in a tower.
saltmummy

Postby Judaism » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:11 am

I changed the poll somewhat, related to raiding only now. If people can think of more differences, please feel free to list them and change your vote accordingly. I surely have missed things due to the quick write.

Reviresco wrote:Not going to vote because I joined in mid-2015, but I have an obliquely related question: how did Salem retain players when raiding was so much more common? It seems like in present day that a significant portion of people who lose their main holdings/characters quit.

It didn't really, a vast majority left. Just take a look at the large forum posters (Colesie, stax, procne, Potjeh etc)
Back in the days characters were less valuable (very few high skills), people still invested into stocks etc but there was also a different skill systems in play. The bases were much weaker on average and more larger towns due to larger groups present. Much different slot system aswell, easier in comparison. So a character loss was less relevant mostly back then, regardless of that many people still quit after losing their bases or just due to burned out.
Judaism
Customer

Postby Darwoth » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:23 am

i voted for the current build. raiding needs a few minor tweaks to get the balance back in line to how it was before the murkton morons got it ***** up by doing a bunch of stupid **** right as the devs came back and were still out of the loop, thats about it.

it also makes me laugh my ass off to sit here through yet another thread where the kzerg wistfully reminisces about the "good ol days" of raiding that they never even ***** took part in anyway and under ALL of the many iterations of mechanics over the years never hit anything other than newbs with **** defense because they sucked three and five years ago to. seriously give it a rest clownass, you didnt raid **** on roanoke either, your biggest "raid" was claeyts piece of total **** base that he let you practice on because the ***** server was ending in a week :lol: :lol: :lol:

ammaboss, goodman and methuzelah never raided anything on jamestown, the other half of that era being you and lailaith never did a ***** thing on roanoke either and were still asking ME newbie questions about that aspect of the game at the time, it was not until the wipe was announced where you ran around making stupid ***** videos of "raiding" 3 or 4 total ***** like claeyts town that you had permission from the owner to "raid"

you were ***** about how impossible raiding was even back then once jorb and loftar increased brazier damage and added crits.

for the entire year previous to the latest round of changes last year you ALSO ***** about the same **** and how "raiding was impossible" yet i destroyed over a dozen heavily defended and fortified towns with active defense along with several of your factions allies and vaults in that period solo, even now with the MOST unfriendly version there has been to date towns still fall every week.

you just suck at the game and want everything handed to you, your faction is largely **** like yourself so you find an echo chamber to piss and moan in. as such you want the game revamped to 2012 status where it was balanced around 80 stat characters to allow a swarm of a dozen morons like you to barf all over their keyboard and take out some carebears 6 month - 1 year town in an afternoon. from all of my many discussions about pvp that is never going to happen, i have been told numerous times by JV that "raiding is not meant for ****** players unwilling to invest the time and resources". you did not man up and assume the risk so you missed the boat for the 2012 - 2014 era (which had many of its own issues you would not know about, such as endless braziers and walls repaired to full with a few rocks in 5 seconds), while myself and others on all three servers were hitting towns you were ***** about something from the sideline just like you are now.

the most curious thing to me of course is what fantasy land do you live in where the server is rolled back to 2012 raiding standards where YOU do not get wiped off of it in a week? you could not even cut it on the expedition which is far easier than 2012 mechanics any half dedicated 250 stat newb would wipe you out in a weekend under the parameters you endlessly say you want so that you can pretend to be "hardcore"

the whole thing is beyond retarded by now, it is seriously like listening to a guy that does not know the difference between a pawn and a bishop endlessly wail about how he wishes he was playing tournament chess games on a short timer.
Last edited by Darwoth on Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darwoth

Next

Return to City upon a Hill