Which Salem RAID mechanics do you prefer ?

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Which Salem raid-mechanics do you prefer, if you had a choice ?

Salem anno 2012
14%
Salem pre-wipe (2014)
18%
Salem anno 2015 (pre-expeditions)
6%
Salem currently
62%

Total votes : 50

Re: Which Salem do you prefer ?

Postby TotalyMeow » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:32 am

Reviresco wrote:Not going to vote because I joined in mid-2015, but I have an obliquely related question: how did Salem retain players when raiding was so much more common? It seems like in present day that a significant portion of people who lose their main holdings/characters quit.

There were several differences between this Salem and the older version.

First, Salem of 4-5 years ago had much less to do, so if you lost your character or your base, you hadn't lost nearly as much time and investment as you do today. If you managed to save one of the two, you could get the other back with a few weeks of work, for the most part. And with it being easier to get back to 'full strength' it was also easier to get revenge, so a lot more players on losing their bases tended to do like The Claw and run away yelling "I'll get you next time, Gadget, next time!" Back then, a main character max had like 80 to each humor which increased to around 250 for big raiders after a raiding change, and it wasn't common to raise a proficiency above about 100, maybe 250 for Stocks & Cults, so you can see how different it is now.

Second, there was the Tribe, Candy Gang, and some other larger factions that tended to form alliances and protect smaller players while fighting more among themselves so it was easier for a lot of people to be neutralish or protected or otherwise avoid being raided through other means than just a lot of big defenses.

So, we added a lot of new content and entire new mechanics, made it possible to easily get higher humors and proficiencies, created reasons to do so, more than doubled the animals for hunting, doubled the skills you can get, and pretty much made it so that your base and your character are much, much more valuable than they used to be, even the raiders. Of course, this created a problem that we needed to make it easier to survive and keep these massively more valuable characters and bases, which made it necessary to redo raiding and make it much more defensive until we can balance it back down to a fair level, and why we added such things as the TBC and the mortars and the stocks. But that's really a different thread.

Personally, I'd vote for current Salem over the other available options. Not just because I helped make it the way it is, but because in order to get back the older, more care-free system we'd have to lose so much of the other new stuff we all love or we'd end up driving off everyone who doesn't raid and end up with a situations similar to what happened just before MM bought Salem. Raiding might not be as fun as you want it to be right now, but it's so much better than just reinstating the old system. What we aspire to do is make raiding fun while keeping it difficult, to prevent those who get raided from falling to despair and quitting.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby Judaism » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:55 am

Darwoth wrote:
it also makes me laugh my ass off to sit here through yet another thread where the kzerg wistfully reminisces about the "good ol days" of raiding that they never even ***** took part in anyway and under ALL of the many iterations of mechanics over the years never hit anything other than newbs with **** defense because they sucked three and five years ago to. seriously give it a rest clownass, you didnt raid **** on roanoke either, your biggest "raid" was claeyts piece of total **** base that he let you practice on because the ***** server was ending in a week :lol: :lol: :lol:

I actually was active myself in 2012, I can't deny that I still was a noob back then, however I was raiding with a a few people in 2012 and begin 2013 after they quit I found a Russian guy whom I was raiding actively with, I had scents out at any time while you were still whining about the summon mechanics over the walls, I already was summoned while online before and knew those mechanics. When I moved towards Roanoke I already had various encounters with the Tribe and engaged in PvP and had enough raiding experience to know most of the mechanics.

On Roanoke I actually raided a few times with Alloin and destroyed ''good'' bases back then, not hardcore either but I sure as hell do know those mechanics aswell. I also have raided multiple bases alone and here I also have bursted through plenty of bases to get to know the mechanics up untill the wipe.

I am not stating anything about the others from my group, most of the time I actually was alone and an actual enemy with Lallaith (and Willy). I think most of them only started late 2013. But of the current database, I most certainly have experience with almost all systems, I am not stating that I ever have been a hardcore raider either. It truely is about what feels right, hell maybe I shoud've added an option to make it even harder, which some people might like.

So please take your personal grudges away and keep it limited to your opinion about raiding alone for once.
JohnCarver wrote:Mortal Moments Inc. is not here to cannibalize the community or piece out the code. We are not here because we wish to institute pay to win models or PvE servers. Quite the contrary.
Judaism
Customer

Re: Which Salem RAID mechanics do you prefer ?

Postby Darwoth » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:03 am

waste of time, everything i said as always is 100% on point. ***** about something you actually have any right to ***** about, something you were not even a part of does not qualify.

***** about claim drain? fine

***** about tea? fine

***** about increased wall times? fine

but the rest? you really need to just shut the ***** up.
Darwoth

Postby Heffernan » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:11 am

"I suck at Raiding, please make it easier" - every KKK always-
Heffernan

Postby Jennyferi » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:01 pm

Darwoth wrote:i voted for the current build. raiding needs a few minor tweaks to get the balance back in line to how it was before the murkton morons got it ***** up by doing a bunch of stupid **** right as the devs came back and were still out of the loop, thats about it.

Enlighten me a bit before you start trashtalking and blaming?
Jennyferi
Customer

Postby Darwoth » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:36 pm

Jennyferi wrote:
Enlighten me a bit before you start trashtalking

gee i dont know, i suppose the same **** i went over with you before.

but since you want to play the uppity cuntitude game and argue about ancient history i will humor you with a few gems out of the lengthy list.

to begin:

as you well know i surveyed (after being asked) your town when the kzerg sieged it.

1> you had borderstones outside, which i pointed out.

2> you had no pclaim defense, which i pointed out.

3> i told you that if you were not able to defend yourselves just stay inside because they had no chance getting in (as long as you ficed the borderstones), would waste their time and go away looking stupid.

4> i specifically told grand boss and another about lassos so you could utilize them defensively, and to not get caught in front of their siege bell

in response your group did the following:

a> leave all of the vulnerable borderstones unchanged resulting in it taking exactly 3 seconds after the siege activated to destroy your entire defense.

b> since no changes were made to the pclaim issue they were then able to drop their own over your wall claiming your wall :lol:

c> several of you went derping around outside getting killed repeatedly giving your siege the false status of "actively defended", mouser even decided to gather water during the middle of the siege to go plant pots or some **** getting her main killed.

4> grand boss decided to go wave his **** around and talk **** 2 tiles in front of their gate promptly dirtnapping when he was yanked inside, thus giving the enemy yet more bragging rights and if i recall the #1 kill slot/exe axe in addition to losing your only 1k+ fighter.

once these amazingly stupid things occured i was asked to just drop what i was doing to come help and was given a survey to port in an emergency fighter i had just wasted 40 minutes of my time skilling up since you were against the ropes, but alas the map was marked under the radius of the TBF since your all stupid thus blocking the port in. i washed my hands of the situation not being in the mood to be caught between the inherent lethality of your continuous ***** on one side and an undetermined number of zerglings on the other. i then got ***** at for "not helping us" since you know, it is my fault you do not follow instructions and apparently i am on the salem police force tax roll and owe you something anyway.

by now you had lost the siege and i advised to destroy or evacuate all items of value (which was also suggested prior to the siege even activating) "oh, yeah we did" (eerily similar to, "ah yeah will definitely fix that" with the borderstones) but alas apparently not as they walked out with a shed of pocketwatches and who knows what else.

right about this time the developers returned from a many months long hiatus and as they are catching up on as the salem turns, see a "big" and "well defended" town of "active defenders" get utterly **** on in an hour along with the standard tirade of heffernan make believe about nonexistent exploits, bugs and outright lies about long a given activity took along with a hefty assortment of "we did do this" and "we didn't do that" to further muddy the waters.

the end result was the disasterous holiday season pvp changes that killed much of the game, as the person who spent numerous conversations over the course of a week on the phone arguing about the changes and trying to seek a compromise i can absolutely assure you that you ***** retards were a major factor in what transpired, a paraphrased quote on the matter was "well yeah but wtf, you shouldnt be able to lose a town like that that fast"

which i would agree with 100% for normal people, but that was not the scenario.

unfortunately the sheer magnitude of your groups retardation and heffernans lies were not as well known then as now.

hopefully that clears it up for you (like the last time we went over it)
Darwoth

Postby Jennyferi » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:05 pm

Ahh you're talking about Hunka. Yes, i do know that was a ***** up event. But there was a lot more than that. Bad group effort, information were not shared with everyone (or even it was nobody give ***** about, like GB who said "its not my town, i dont work here"), bad timing (christmas time), people quit and stuff and at the end there were only 2 people actually defending whole place. If you were sharing your advices with Mouser, she never let rest of us know about them (shes the one who made you that map aswell). Well i don't wanna start accusing anyone anymore about **** that happened long ago, but i do know we ***** up that one.
Last edited by Jennyferi on Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jennyferi
Customer

Postby Dallane » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:34 pm

Heffernan wrote:"I suck at Raiding, please make it easier" - every KKK always-

Yet you pour tears any time talk of improving raiding happens.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Nsuidara » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:34 pm

I don't like one think...

Current i build my pclaim start 2016-10-01 and not END build yet.
I don't like one think, this think is i spend many time for build my pclaim/ptown and raiders can down this pclaim in few hours ?
(This is just a thought, i don't know how work about old raid or current raid, because i never test about how long need for...)
\(*o*)\ Praying in the Marp Church may reduce the time for update /(*o*)/
Nsuidara
Customer

Postby Binks » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:13 pm

Darwoth wrote:it also makes me laugh my ass off to sit here through yet another thread where the kzerg wistfully reminisces about the "good ol days" of raiding that they never even ***** took part in anyway and under ALL of the many iterations of mechanics over the years never hit anything other than newbs with **** defense because they sucked three and five years ago to. seriously give it a rest clownass, you didnt raid **** on roanoke either, your biggest "raid" was claeyts piece of total **** base that he let you practice on because the ***** server was ending in a week :lol: :lol: :lol:

They never raided **** on Roanoke because they were constantly being destroyed by me :lol:

Judaism wrote:On Roanoke I actually raided a few times with Alloin and destroyed ''good'' bases back then, not hardcore either but I sure as hell do know those mechanics aswell. I also have raided multiple bases alone and here I also have bursted through plenty of bases to get to know the mechanics up untill the wipe.

You guys raided one base filled with noobs. You only raided it because I gave you permission to do it and it was because you basically were paying Alloin with some sort of beta key. So yeah, Alloin raided a base and you basically got to watch.
Last edited by Binks on Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Binks

PreviousNext

Return to City upon a Hill