Some Salem History

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: Some Salem History

Postby Lazun123 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:06 am

well i was under the understanding that some of the players of salem bought the rights to Salem, is that true?

If they did, then who were they in game?
WWJCD
Lazun123

Postby TotalyMeow » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:19 am

Lazun123 wrote:well i was under the understanding that some of the players of salem bought the rights to Salem, is that true?

If they did, then who were they in game?

You are correct, but we've never said.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby Lazun123 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:31 am

so let me ask you this, do you still play? I mean for fun as oppose to just work? Lets say for example i saw a little person just walking around, and then murdered them, is there a chance it could be use just casual playing the game in an identity you kept a secret??:)

When you guys decided to take on the role of developers and owners, was it a group effort or just JC? Im sorry i just find this very interesting.
WWJCD
Lazun123

Postby TotalyMeow » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:49 am

Lazun123 wrote:so let me ask you this, do you still play? I mean for fun as oppose to just work? Lets say for example i saw a little person just walking around, and then murdered them, is there a chance it could be use just casual playing the game in an identity you kept a secret??:)

When you guys decided to take on the role of developers and owners, was it a group effort or just JC? Im sorry i just find this very interesting.

I do still play as a hermit. Not as much as I used to since one of the main things I used to do was mapping, and that's not such a thing anymore. But yeah, I do like to send out newbie characters into the wild foraging and I have encountered other players once in awhile, so you could theoretically murder me randomly in the wild.

I remember some months before we played Salem, John and I were talking about a game we had been playing at the time and how inadequate it was and what he thought his perfect game would be. He had a dream of a completely open pvp, character persistent (you log off but your body stays), factioned sort of game, and he had plans to make this game since it seemed like no one else was making anything like it. Then he found Salem and it was a great game with a solid base that already had almost everything he wanted. So, when he learned that Jorb and Loftar really wanted to get back to concentrating on H&H, he offered to buy Salem instead of starting from scratch. As a group, we all decided to help with monetary investments and becoming part of the development team so several people from Salem were hired to work specifically on Salem in addition to the people he already had. There's an ancient thread or two here somewhere with this stuff already but yeah, you might have a hard time digging it up.

TotalyMeow

Postby honeymilk » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:56 am

honeymilk
Customer

Postby TotalyMeow » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:32 am

Yes, that is indeed the thread I was thinking of.

TotalyMeow

Postby Nephilim » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:29 am

Mighty Midgets as far as I remember.
Nephilim

Postby Dallane » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:37 pm

Nephilim wrote:Mighty Midgets as far as I remember.

Merciless midgets
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby lachlaan » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:04 pm

I brought it back because I was being nostalgic and telling a newer player about what kept the forums colorful back in the day. The elaborate derpy posts tribe used to make was one of the main things. The whole thread on the claegue at provi start was another of the more engaging posts i remember. Regardless of how much conflict there is, or how much interaction, it's a bit sad to see the normal tendency of creating custom lines for any sort of interaction in game rather than thought out communication.

The thought that comes to mind is a mix between other MMOs trading systems where chat is flooded with "WTB> WTS< WTT<><><>" or whatever the typical language is like, and haven's more recent PvP conquest boast posts consisting of 3 pictures, an intro of "we fought X..." and a conclusion of "and they got rekt!!1".

All i can say is that hopefully popham has been instructive enough for JC and the next expedition will be even closer to what Meow just described. Persistant characters would make proper defenses more of a thing.
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby DarkNacht » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:58 pm

DarkNacht

PreviousNext

Return to City upon a Hill