Server architecture

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: Server architecture

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:05 pm

Procne wrote:I would see no sense in having multiple servers if travellin between them was free. New servers is great opportunity for new players to start away from big, established factions and players.

Also, criminals shouldn't be able to travel at all, as long as there are scents and evidence for them remaining

I don't see why not. EVE has "multiple servers" and travel between them is completely free. Truth be told, each shard in games like WoW is "multiple servers." It's just the way the world is configured. However, given the nature of the game, I think a modest silver fee for "travel taxes" isn't unreasonable. ;)

I have no objection against criminals traveling if there is a method to track them to another colony. Right now it's no big deal as you could, in theory, just try each colony to see if they were anywhere nearby. However, if the game gets large enough, this becomes impractical as more colonies are added.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Sevenless » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:41 pm

Dallane wrote:
Procne wrote:Also, criminals shouldn't be able to travel at all, as long as there are scents and evidence for them remaining

That would be a terrible idea and doesn't make sense nor would it stop any sort of griefing

Hold on for a minute and think. How are we going to handle scents? The scent system is utterly not designed for inter server interactions. Even if scents could be used on another server, you could just live an ass mile away from the "port in" and scents would never let you be found.

I definitely think travelling with active scents is a no. Otherwise it goes back to the inability to cause repercussions thing that the entire permadeath system is about. If you want to crime up a new server, I believe you should have to take the time to either find a well defended ally to let you "sleep over" or you should have to spend the time to make your own fortification.

Evidence though? Nah that's overkill.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Procne » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:41 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
Procne wrote:I would see no sense in having multiple servers if travellin between them was free. New servers is great opportunity for new players to start away from big, established factions and players.

Also, criminals shouldn't be able to travel at all, as long as there are scents and evidence for them remaining

I don't see why not. EVE has "multiple servers" and travel between them is completely free. Truth be told, each shard in games like WoW is "multiple servers." It's just the way the world is configured. However, given the nature of the game, I think a modest silver fee for "travel taxes" isn't unreasonable. ;)

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but you seem to be talking about physical machines, instead of "realms", in which case EVE has one realm, and WoW has multiple with no free way to travel between these.

Well, the question is whether the idea behind multi-server support was merely to spread world's load to multiple machines and new colonies are simply map expansions, or to create, at least semi-, separate worlds. I was hoping for the latter, since it would give people a possibility for a fresh start every time new colony opened.

I have no objection against criminals traveling if there is a method to track them to another colony. Right now it's no big deal as you could, in theory, just try each colony to see if they were anywhere nearby. However, if the game gets large enough, this becomes impractical as more colonies are added.

Well, it would be quite unfair if travelling was not free, since ranger has to travel at least twice (to track and then back). More if tracking doesn't tell him beforehand which colony did criminal run to.
Procne

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:06 pm

That's why I made a distinction between "shard" (world) and "server" (a machine/computer). If you want to get picky about it, EVE is divided into regions, each with it's own market and other core functions. There's only a handful of region gates you can use to pass through one region to another (usually 3-5), but hundreds of system gates for jumping between systems within a region. This effectively makes each region into its own shard of sorts although all the regions tie in together to make a whole instead of each one being a stand-alone world in which a limited number of players can join, which is the big distinction between EVE and pretty much every other MMO out there. (Something I'd like to see duplicated more instead of ignored.)

Blizzard charges $20 (if I recall) to transfer between realms and that I'm aware, bank and inventory goes with you (never messed with a Blizz realm transfer, so could be completely wrong, but did with EQ2, and SOE didn't let you take a thing that wasn't soulbound at the time... 7 years ago?). I suppose, since Salem is f2p, you could look at the "silver cost" as a sink to remove silver from the game world or as a way to get people to spend more money on the game, either way, it becomes a fee to transfer to another colony. To make a concrete example, if Seatribe/Paradox decide to charge 100 silver to go from Plymouth to Roanoke, then either 100s I made from selling hides/leather is taken out of the economy or I have to spend about $4 at the store to do so.

Yeah, there's a lot of questions about mechanics and such on this. It could easily end up completely open such as with EVE, but it could well land somewhere in the middle, too. I think it's all a matter of issues and solutions to some of the mechanics of the game (such as criminal activities)
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby sabinati » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:23 pm

Dallane wrote:
Procne wrote:Also, criminals shouldn't be able to travel at all, as long as there are scents and evidence for them remaining

That would be a terrible idea and doesn't make sense nor would it stop any sort of griefing

Why?
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby Sevenless » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:28 pm

I don't want to see people with the ability to grief a server without having to invest in self defense there. I'm not against raiders roaming servers, but I want them to have to pay their dues to have their fun.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Potjeh » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:46 pm

I think it'd be fine if they were banned from Boston Travel Agency but could still travel manually. Of course, the manual travel should be a lot like Oregon Trail (ie deadly).
Potjeh

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:30 pm

Potjeh wrote:I think it'd be fine if they were banned from Boston Travel Agency but could still travel manually. Of course, the manual travel should be a lot like Oregon Trail (ie deadly).

sounds like a good place for a mini-game to me. :D
MagicManICT

Postby Dallane » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:20 pm

Sevenless wrote:I don't want to see people with the ability to grief a server without having to invest in self defense there. I'm not against raiders roaming servers, but I want them to have to pay their dues to have their fun.

All someone has to do is make 5 walls in the darkness with a massive claim and you can't do anything to them. Their ability to switch servers wouldn't change anything. The criminal system is also being changed soon from what was said in the livestream. Maybe they are doing something to address the multiserver along with the current problems.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby darnokpl » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:25 pm

Dallane wrote:
Sevenless wrote:I don't want to see people with the ability to grief a server without having to invest in self defense there. I'm not against raiders roaming servers, but I want them to have to pay their dues to have their fun.

All someone has to do is make 5 walls in the darkness with a massive claim and you can't do anything to them. Their ability to switch servers wouldn't change anything. The criminal system is also being changed soon from what was said in the livestream. Maybe they are doing something to address the multiserver along with the current problems.

Haha, right coz if you can't assassinate him in 1-2h it is impossible to raid him :D
darnokpl

PreviousNext

Return to City upon a Hill