Server architecture

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Server architecture

Postby mastoid30 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:43 am

Hi, I was just wondering, is there one instance of the game that everyone plays on or are players separated in different instances of the game?
mastoid30

Re: Server architecture

Postby sabinati » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:17 am

there are 3 servers
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:17 am

It's an MMO. Everyone plays together. Of course, if you're in another colony than someone else, you can't run into that person unless there is some way to move over there (which, if plans go through, there should eventually be).
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby TotalyMoo » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:45 pm

To clarify further: there are three servers. Right now travel between them doesn't exist but the plan is to open this up in the future. Of course the travel won't be free but most likely some kind of silver fee you pay in Boston/Roanoke/Jamestown to go by boat or carriage to the other places.

We have no instancing mechanics on the actual servers so everyone plays in the same place.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby mastoid30 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:15 pm

Thanks for clarifying, I'm a big fan of letting everyone play with anyone. I really hope travel to other colonies is not restricted by micro-transactions. I know you have to make money but i'm really against limiting the freedom to move between servers.
mastoid30

Postby Dallane » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:28 pm

mastoid30 wrote:Thanks for clarifying, I'm a big fan of letting everyone play with anyone. I really hope travel to other colonies is not restricted by micro-transactions. I know you have to make money but i'm really against limiting the freedom to move between servers.

Silver is very easy to make.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby TotalyMoo » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:36 pm

Dallane wrote:
mastoid30 wrote:Thanks for clarifying, I'm a big fan of letting everyone play with anyone. I really hope travel to other colonies is not restricted by micro-transactions. I know you have to make money but i'm really against limiting the freedom to move between servers.

Silver is very easy to make.

And as jorb said yesterday: It's actually going to be easy to make when silver mines are implemented.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby Potjeh » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:40 pm

IMO silver should be the easy way to travel between colonies, but not feasible for transport of bulk goods. For that we should sail ships and run wagon caravans. And if you want to save some silver and got a couple of hours to kill, you could also use this method to skip paying to the Boston travel agent for personal transportation.
Potjeh

Postby Procne » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:56 pm

I would see no sense in having multiple servers if travellin between them was free. New servers is great opportunity for new players to start away from big, established factions and players.

Also, criminals shouldn't be able to travel at all, as long as there are scents and evidence for them remaining
Procne

Postby Dallane » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:06 pm

Procne wrote:Also, criminals shouldn't be able to travel at all, as long as there are scents and evidence for them remaining

That would be a terrible idea and doesn't make sense nor would it stop any sort of griefing
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Next

Return to City upon a Hill