non Salem topic; Games we should be playing!

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: non Salem topic; Games we should be playing!

Postby Dallane » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:08 pm

Argentis wrote:
Dallane wrote:
Argentis wrote:Those style of games are 4X Games. Check the websites Explorminate and Spacesector if you want suggestions on 4X games as well as reviews, giveaways, etc.

Yup by far my fav type of game to play. I always try and snag them up as they come out and see how they are. NOTHING has ever measured up to master of orion 2

Well I like Star Drive II. Best ship design system though quite buggy and the dev is a tad of a slacker.
There is Distant Worlds which is very weird to play (took me a long time to learn it), a lot of automation. Not really my style of play but it might interest you.
I liked GalCiv2 and GalCiv3 though GalCiv3 is very easy imo.
Fallen Enchantress and Sorcerer King are pretty good though FE has pretty outdated graphics.
Thea is amazing though there is no expand part really. You start with one village and that's it. It's a mix between 4X games and rogue-like RPG.
StarRuler 2 is pretty good though it never managed to really hold my interest (the combat is a tad boring imo).
Recently Polaris Sector was released, not half bad, but the spying is boring, it's quite easy and on the grind-fest colonization side.
Pandora: First Contact is imo better than Civ: Beyond Earth. Same retake on Alpha Centauri though.
Endless Space is good. People don't like the combat system (cinematic with a rock paper scissors system somewhat) but I like it.
Endless Legends is quite good though I don't like the combat system. Lacks of balance imo and nation units are completely eclipsed by some Neutral units (those friggin ogres).
At the limit of being called a 4X game is Sins of Solar Empire. Lot of mods though, somewhat close to a 4X game with a faster pace.

Hopefully you haven't played a few of those ;p.

If you see Horizon or Legends of Pegasus though, run away. They were terrible at release, never looked back.

I've played a few of those but watched streams of lets play for the others I wasn't dead set on buying.

I really love the endless games and sins. Sins multiplayer was fun as all hell.

I will have to check out pandora. AC was my fav game in the civ series. I enjoy BE but its not nearly the same.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Inotdead » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:46 pm

Speaking of 4x - Sword of the stars was quite good.
The second game is said to be buggy, but the first was pretty solid.
It's more of a militaristic game though as far as "foreign relations" go. Still I found it quite satisfying.

Also there is Aurora 4x - but that game is basically tables only, no graphics.
However as far as the depth goes it slowly grows to rival Dwarf Fortress.
Claeyt wrote: I'm not saying it's right or justified that they steal or sell drugs or murder cops I'm saying that that's exactly what you would do if you were poor and desperate and Black.
Inotdead

Postby lumplore » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:30 pm

Domions 4 for mythology 4x. Dark-Wind as mmo post apocalyptic Car Wars. Infinity Wars with trading cards like Magic. Diplomacy being classic as chess. X-Com 2 for turn based close combat. Salem obviously. All top pick faves for 2016.
"I cannot walk on water, yet I can tread it."
lumplore

Postby Argentis » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:48 pm

lumplore wrote:Domions 4 for mythology 4x. Dark-Wind as mmo post apocalyptic Car Wars. Infinity Wars with trading cards like Magic. Diplomacy being classic as chess. X-Com 2 for turn based close combat. Salem obviously. All top pick faves for 2016.

Never played Dominions 4 ,must have missed it. Can you say a bit more about it?
Argentis

Postby lumplore » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:56 pm

Hello again, responding to Argentis' request for details/info on Dominions 4. You are a pretender god (with a disciple or not) up against others to become the new one true god. In the beginning all start with adjustable variables. I like starting with one province and fortress with default settings. Recruit magic using officers and your nation's unique troops. Build temples and spread your dominion as the most important way to win. Tons of micro managing. Program your army's orders then sit back and watch the battle fly, nothing you can control from start to finish, it takes care of itself. Units can become demoralized and flee or eventually route as the end. Units route to adjacent provinces or die when nowhere to escape. Research several paths of magic, find and farm magic gem sites, forge all manners of magic items. Fog of war a factor. Player and AI generated events. Cat and mouse movement, not so easy to strike target, left attacking an empty province for example or hitting a nasty surprise. Independent neutrals need defeating for initial province take over. Gold income with upkeep, generalized resources limit recruitment, generalized supplies needed where large armies sit. Dominion is a measure of how much influence your pretender god has on anyone's province. That's the meaty stuff, more diverse richness involved.
lumplore

Postby Dallane » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:06 pm

lumplore wrote:Hello again, responding to Argentis' request for details/info on Dominions 4. You are a pretender god (with a disciple or not) up against others to become the new one true god. In the beginning all start with adjustable variables. I like starting with one province and fortress with default settings. Recruit magic using officers and your nation's unique troops. Build temples and spread your dominion as the most important way to win. Tons of micro managing. Program your army's orders then sit back and watch the battle fly, nothing you can control from start to finish, it takes care of itself. Units can become demoralized and flee or eventually route as the end. Units route to adjacent provinces or die when nowhere to escape. Research several paths of magic, find and farm magic gem sites, forge all manners of magic items. Fog of war a factor. Player and AI generated events. Cat and mouse movement, not so easy to strike target, left attacking an empty province for example or hitting a nasty surprise. Independent neutrals need defeating for initial province take over. Gold income with upkeep, generalized resources limit recruitment, generalized supplies needed where large armies sit. Dominion is a measure of how much influence your pretender god has on anyone's province. That's the meaty stuff, more diverse richness involved.

I always heard this game was amazing.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Argentis » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:11 pm

lumplore wrote:Hello again, responding to Argentis' request for details/info on Dominions 4. You are a pretender god (with a disciple or not) up against others to become the new one true god. In the beginning all start with adjustable variables. I like starting with one province and fortress with default settings. Recruit magic using officers and your nation's unique troops. Build temples and spread your dominion as the most important way to win. Tons of micro managing. Program your army's orders then sit back and watch the battle fly, nothing you can control from start to finish, it takes care of itself. Units can become demoralized and flee or eventually route as the end. Units route to adjacent provinces or die when nowhere to escape. Research several paths of magic, find and farm magic gem sites, forge all manners of magic items. Fog of war a factor. Player and AI generated events. Cat and mouse movement, not so easy to strike target, left attacking an empty province for example or hitting a nasty surprise. Independent neutrals need defeating for initial province take over. Gold income with upkeep, generalized resources limit recruitment, generalized supplies needed where large armies sit. Dominion is a measure of how much influence your pretender god has on anyone's province. That's the meaty stuff, more diverse richness involved.

Well I'm gonna try it out to see if I buy it or not.
Argentis

Postby lumplore » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:59 am

FYI if playing Dominions 4, this is a must have link:

http://larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/
lumplore

Postby Argentis » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:31 pm

I played Dominions 4 a bit and can't say I like it much. I might put too much emphasis on the graphics but boy is it ugly. I can play MoO2 without the graphics being an issue but I guess it's a matter of nostalgia.
Argentis

Postby Strakknuva225 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:34 pm

Well, I've been playing Need for Speed Underground.
imo, it hasn't aged well.
Professional Beaver Clubber
"Knife to meet you."
Strakknuva225

PreviousNext

Return to City upon a Hill