non Salem topic; Games we should be playing!

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: non Salem topic; Games we should be playing!

Postby Nephilim » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:58 pm

Strakknuva225 wrote:
Nephilim wrote:Best was Vanilla + TBC. After that was downhill. I still can't forget Muru and Sunwell.

Man, gotta love class stacking and rerolling to leatherworking for one boss.

Drums xD
Nephilim

Postby Argentis » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:39 am

saltmummy wrote:I never played WoW but I got dragged into a few other MMOs, most of them terrible. I think the only MMO games I ever touched and enjoyed were legacy Haven and Salem. Speaking of microsofts RTS games, Rise of Nations. That, was a good game. Get the terracotta army wonder up as quick as possible before the other pricks can get it and have yourself a constant trickle of free basic soldiers. Of course if they got AI before you did, then your wonder would be made completely redundant as they produced soldiers instantly to stomp all over your crap. It makes me think the game was developed with the idea that if you got to the point where you were getting the ultimate civ upgrades, then it was about time to stop prolonging the round.

Gat dam iron curtain stopping my nukes. On a note related to nukes, It is a well known fact that I will nuke myself as a defensive measure without blinking an eye, and nuke my allies armies by accident while carpet nuking the guy he is trying to invade in Rise of Nations and Civ5. I love me some nukes in Rise of Nations, that warm glow is good for you.

Rise of Nations was fun ;p. You should try Civ5 with the COmmunity Patch Mode. Amazing.
Argentis

Postby Dallane » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:41 am

Argentis wrote:
saltmummy wrote:I never played WoW but I got dragged into a few other MMOs, most of them terrible. I think the only MMO games I ever touched and enjoyed were legacy Haven and Salem. Speaking of microsofts RTS games, Rise of Nations. That, was a good game. Get the terracotta army wonder up as quick as possible before the other pricks can get it and have yourself a constant trickle of free basic soldiers. Of course if they got AI before you did, then your wonder would be made completely redundant as they produced soldiers instantly to stomp all over your crap. It makes me think the game was developed with the idea that if you got to the point where you were getting the ultimate civ upgrades, then it was about time to stop prolonging the round.

Gat dam iron curtain stopping my nukes. On a note related to nukes, It is a well known fact that I will nuke myself as a defensive measure without blinking an eye, and nuke my allies armies by accident while carpet nuking the guy he is trying to invade in Rise of Nations and Civ5. I love me some nukes in Rise of Nations, that warm glow is good for you.

Rise of Nations was fun ;p. You should try Civ5 with the COmmunity Patch Mode. Amazing.

Civ5 is a all around amazing game and get even better with patches. There are still a ton of excellent civ4 mods also.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Argentis » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:07 am

Dallane wrote:
Argentis wrote:

Civ5 is a all around amazing game and get even better with patches. There are still a ton of excellent civ4 mods also.

Personally I prefer Civ5 as I don't like stacking mechanics in tile-type games. Though obviously Civ4 with expansion is much better than Vanilla Civ 5. I wouldn't recommend buying Civ5 without the DLCs.

What about Thea: The Awakening. Have you played that one?
Argentis

Postby Dallane » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:08 am

Argentis wrote:Personally I prefer Civ5 as I don't like stacking mechanics in tile-type games. Though obviously Civ4 with expansion is much better than Vanilla Civ 5. I wouldn't recommend buying Civ5 without the DLCs.

Yea I like the new mechanics of not stacking. I wish I could remember the name of the mod that completely overhauls Civ4 to make it a big ass fantasy game with magic and extremely unique civs.

Colonization is also one of my favorite games ever. Right next to Master of Orion 1/2. I hear the new MOO game is awesome as a crappy early release deal. Look forward to seeing it completed.

Oh yea 100%. Civ games aren't good until there are a couple xpacks for them. I'm getting back into beyond earth again atm.

Never played Thea. I did get to play a bit of endless legend. That game was very different but still similar to civ. Enjoyed it a lot.

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby saltmummy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:42 am

I never really liked how you could just stack stuff on/around your towns and make them almost untouchable in civ4. I had a package of a bunch of modded in civs for civ5. I was pretty excited when they finally fixed the multiplayer. Haven't played it in a long time though.

I also remember warlock, which was a paradox published civ clone with a fantasy setting. The very best bit about warlock to me was that I had the DLC, and even though my friend was hosting the game, I still had access to the DLC content and he did not. ;D I had DLC elves and spells going against them for the glory my undead empire, and the salt from the host was more than real because he could never have elves or any other DLC stuff under his control in the game he was hosting. Every couple turns over the mic, we would all hear, "this is ***** *****." in his usually fairly casual Italian accent.
Darwoth wrote:you know, cause they were obviously fascist white supremacist burrito nazis.

I had a great dream where I was a handsome skeleton in a tower.
saltmummy

Postby Argentis » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:58 am

Dallane wrote:
Argentis wrote:Personally I prefer Civ5 as I don't like stacking mechanics in tile-type games. Though obviously Civ4 with expansion is much better than Vanilla Civ 5. I wouldn't recommend buying Civ5 without the DLCs.

Yea I like the new mechanics of not stacking. I wish I could remember the name of the mod that completely overhauls Civ4 to make it a big ass fantasy game with magic and extremely unique civs.

Colonization is also one of my favorite games ever. Right next to Master of Orion 1/2. I hear the new MOO game is awesome as a crappy early release deal. Look forward to seeing it completed.

Oh yea 100%. Civ games aren't good until there are a couple xpacks for them. I'm getting back into beyond earth again atm.

Never played Thea. I did get to play a bit of endless legend. That game was very different but still similar to civ. Enjoyed it a lot.

Those style of games are 4X Games. Check the websites Explorminate and Spacesector if you want suggestions on 4X games as well as reviews, giveaways, etc.
Argentis

Postby Ajvar » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:06 am

I played Europa Universalis 4 alot.
Ajvar

Postby Dallane » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:19 am

Argentis wrote:Those style of games are 4X Games. Check the websites Explorminate and Spacesector if you want suggestions on 4X games as well as reviews, giveaways, etc.

Yup by far my fav type of game to play. I always try and snag them up as they come out and see how they are. NOTHING has ever measured up to master of orion 2

Dallane

Postby Argentis » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:03 am

Dallane wrote:
Argentis wrote:Those style of games are 4X Games. Check the websites Explorminate and Spacesector if you want suggestions on 4X games as well as reviews, giveaways, etc.

Yup by far my fav type of game to play. I always try and snag them up as they come out and see how they are. NOTHING has ever measured up to master of orion 2

Well I like Star Drive II. Best ship design system though quite buggy and the dev is a tad of a slacker.
There is Distant Worlds which is very weird to play (took me a long time to learn it), a lot of automation. Not really my style of play but it might interest you.
I liked GalCiv2 and GalCiv3 though GalCiv3 is very easy imo.
Fallen Enchantress and Sorcerer King are pretty good though FE has pretty outdated graphics.
Thea is amazing though there is no expand part really. You start with one village and that's it. It's a mix between 4X games and rogue-like RPG.
StarRuler 2 is pretty good though it never managed to really hold my interest (the combat is a tad boring imo).
Recently Polaris Sector was released, not half bad, but the spying is boring, it's quite easy and on the grind-fest colonization side.
Pandora: First Contact is imo better than Civ: Beyond Earth. Same retake on Alpha Centauri though.
Endless Space is good. People don't like the combat system (cinematic with a rock paper scissors system somewhat) but I like it.
Endless Legends is quite good though I don't like the combat system. Lacks of balance imo and nation units are completely eclipsed by some Neutral units (those friggin ogres).
At the limit of being called a 4X game is Sins of Solar Empire. Lot of mods though, somewhat close to a 4X game with a faster pace.

Hopefully you haven't played a few of those ;p.

If you see Horizon or Legends of Pegasus though, run away. They were terrible at release, never looked back.
Argentis

PreviousNext

Return to City upon a Hill