Thoughts on Salem (possibly the worst game i ever played)

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: Thoughts on Salem (possibly the worst game i ever played

Postby Dallane » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:21 pm

Qukatt wrote:OP doesn't seem to have discovered purity lockets yet.

There is alot he hasn't discovered lol
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby darnokpl » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:54 pm

Imho OP should first get all skills, build every structure there is, craft all inspirationals and cook every food.
After that we can come back here and talk about Salem again, what do you think?
darnokpl

Postby sabinati » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:27 pm

OP is already gone, who gives a **** what we think
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby darnokpl » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:46 pm

sabinati wrote:OP is already gone, who gives a **** what we think

2000 new people registered in last few days?
darnokpl

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:09 pm

darnokpl wrote:
sabinati wrote:OP is already gone, who gives a **** what we think

2000 new people registered in last few days?

In that case, I should bury this where none of the new players can see it... wouldn't want them coming away with the wrong impression! ¦] (I'm joking!! Any criticism can be put to good if there is some truth in it and the person being criticized can get past how it is stated.)
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby femputer » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:27 pm

More thoughts:

The moment i stopped playing exactly is when i learnt agriculture and found i needed a 'deed' to set up a farm. Buying seeds from the sellers in boston makes perfect sense, but a 150s deed for land in a 'new world' scenario 'shattered any delusions' i had about the game. This is colonial america, there are no deeds! Perhaps if you want to have your town recognised a paperwork requirement is fair enough, but not farms. Couldnt take salem seriously any more at this point, as it was just another lazy attempt at taking my money. Charge as much as you want for seeds, but a 'deed'? You want my money? Be more creative. 

Ok, so maybe the devs don't want farms sprouting up everywhere and saturing the in game economy, well i have an idea. How about farming require indian arrow heads in the recipe? This would represent conflicts of the time, and be a much more realistic interpretation of colonial america than sending players off to hunt dozens of crickets in order to raise money for a deed. 

Also, i watched the developers livestream and thought it was funny the developers couldnt be bothered walking across their own map, one of them teleported (cheated) to find flint/maple leaves.

These are some suggestions and complaints for the eyes of anyone working on salem. Anyone here to insult me, i would appreciate you not hijack this thread, i know you will be hurt and upset at some of the things i have said. BTW thank you magicmanict for your open minded response.

Edit - I forgot to mention the graphics, the character models are quite good, and remind me of animal crossing, the map however looks quite barren, it would be nice if the landscape matched this aesthetic and stylized icons were used for for items found on the map.
femputer

Postby Dallane » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:36 pm

femputer wrote:More thoughts:

The moment i stopped playing exactly is when i learnt agriculture and found i needed a 'deed' to set up a farm. Buying seeds from the sellers in boston makes perfect sense, but a 150s deed for land in a 'new world' scenario 'shattered any delusions' i had about the game. This is colonial america, there are no deeds! Perhaps if you want to have your town recognised a paperwork requirement is fair enough, but not farms. Couldnt take salem seriously any more at this point, as it was just another lazy attempt at taking my money. Charge as much as you want for seeds, but a 'deed'? You want my money? Be more creative. 

You don't need to have a deed to farm. The only thing you actually NEED silver for is the seeds. You might even get them for free if you ask in IRC or on here nice enough. The deed is there to protect you land from someone stealing and when they are able to steal its there to give you scents to kill them, steal back you stuff, or get a ranger. People did mark out their land btw.

femputer wrote:Ok, so maybe the devs don't want farms sprouting up everywhere and saturing the in game economy, well i have an idea. How about farming require indian arrow heads in the recipe? This would represent conflicts of the time, and be a much more realistic interpretation of colonial america than sending players off to hunt dozens of crickets in order to raise money for a deed. 

Why would you need arrow heads to farm? again you don't need a deed

femputer wrote:Also, i watched the developers livestream and thought it was funny the developers couldnt be bothered walking across their own map, one of them teleported (cheated) to find flint/maple leaves.

You obviously didn't listen to what he said. They wanted to have a quick start video for the new people joining so they could get to our questions faster and show us some new stuff.

femputer wrote:These are some suggestions and complaints for the eyes of anyone working on salem. Anyone here to insult me, i would appreciate you not hijack this thread, i know you will be hurt and upset at some of the things i have said. BTW thank you magicmanict for your open minded response.

The fact you were on IRC the other night saying you will be trolling this game until it is dead from you complaints won't get you many nice responses. The game is def not for everyone. By now everyone knows how you feel about it. Move on to something you like and give it another try down the line when more things are in and the game has improved.

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby femputer » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:46 pm

Dallane wrote:
The fact you were on IRC the other night saying you will be trolling this game until it is dead from you complaints won't get you many nice responses. The game is def not for everyone. By now everyone knows how you feel about it. Move on to something you like and give it another try down the line when more things are in and the game has improved.

This is a lie. Check the logs. I did not say i would 'troll the game until it died' or anything similiar. I invested in the game buy using the in game store, and feel i have a right to comment. My intentions are benevolent, i want the devs to make a better game.
femputer

Postby Dallane » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:50 pm

femputer wrote:
Dallane wrote:

This is a lie. Check the logs. I did not say i would 'troll the game until it died' or anything similiar. I invested in the game buy using the in game store, and feel i have a right to comment. My intentions are benevolent, i want the devs to make a better game.

you also bought a beta key that didn't go to them.

Dallane

Postby Procne » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:50 pm

femputer wrote:More thoughts:

The moment i stopped playing exactly is when i learnt agriculture and found i needed a 'deed' to set up a farm.

You don't need a deed / claim
Buying seeds from the sellers in boston makes perfect sense, but a 150s deed for land in a 'new world' scenario 'shattered any delusions' i had about the game. This is colonial america, there are no deeds!

Exactly. This is colonial America, almost wild west. If you don't claim your place then anyone is free to take / destroy anything.
Perhaps if you want to have your town recognised a paperwork requirement is fair enough, but not farms. Couldnt take salem seriously any more at this point, as it was just another lazy attempt at taking my money. Charge as much as you want for seeds, but a 'deed'? You want my money? Be more creative. 
I repeat - you don't need claim for anything. As long as you don't mind griefers, thieves and raiders ransacking your place
Ok, so maybe the devs don't want farms sprouting up everywhere and saturing the in game economy, well i have an idea. How about farming require indian arrow heads in the recipe? This would represent conflicts of the time, and be a much more realistic interpretation of colonial america than sending players off to hunt dozens of crickets in order to raise money for a deed. 
I got lost here
These are some suggestions and complaints for the eyes of anyone working on salem. Anyone here to insult me, i would appreciate you not hijack this thread, i know you will be hurt and upset at some of the things i have said. BTW thank you magicmanict for your open minded response.

Seriously, quit it. Those camo implications that anyone responding to you is a "fanboy" are really annoying. Behave like a human being, and not a douchebag.

You want open-minded responses? Be open minded yourself.
Procne

PreviousNext

Return to City upon a Hill