The New and Improved UI

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: The New and Improved UI

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:51 pm

You know, I'm glad I've waited (read "been too lazy") to do those screenshots with pointers and explanations of UI elements for my little guide. :P
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Shealladh » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:07 am

staxjax wrote:Good job on the new UI but...

IT IS WAY TO DAMN BIG!!!!!

I play on 1440x900 and I have sympathy for anybody that is on a lower resolution. Atleast add a UI scaling option.

Agreed, it's like I have the screen magnifier on. I am hoping APXEOLOG includes a slider to resize the elements in his plans for rehashing his BD client!
So unless APXEOLOG does a GUI update, I won't be playing as the vanilla client is useless and enders' crashes and locks up far too much. If this continues for too long, I guess I'll be leaving.

I do not like the new gluttony screen either, so clumsy and cumbersome!
Shealladh

Postby loftar » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:39 am

Everyone wrote:The UI is too large

Jorb and I discussed that point at some length with the graphics guys, but they insisted that they wanted to make the icons and such things 40x40, and in the end, we just didn't mind it that much. It's probably not how Jorb and I would have done it on our own, but it's also a trade-off that I certainly don't hate with all the intensity of ten thousand suns (in return for the larger size, some icons are arguably nicer and more readable); and since they were supposed to draw the stuff anyway, it seemed reasonable to give them the last word on the issue.

L33LEE wrote:Scaling is a must.

Scaling is not really an option at all to begin with, unless you want us to go underground again for a couple of months to implement it. I think we can all agree there are far more important things to do. :)
A scalable UI is not a small project.

Also, I think it is reasonable to say that y'all are probably, at least to some degree, just not used to it yet. :)
loftar

Postby staxjax » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:53 am

lol, I totally forgot to post screen shot on 1024x600 resolution.

But yeah, I'm used to it...it still doesnt mean that it isn't oversized. I'm sure Ender or APXEOLOG can do something about it eventually anyways, especially since the most annoying thing are thot hotbars that span the entire length or width of the screen.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby Jalpha » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:06 am

There doesn't seem to be a way of minimizing, or hiding those toolbars either, an option to do so would go a long way.
Professor Gu Zhongmao wrote:These projects are beautiful to scientists, but nightmarish to engineers
Jalpha

Postby Un1ted » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:17 am

The new icons only seem large because the original ones were so incredibly tiny, especially on big monitors. The new large icons are really nice! UI scaling would be great but if its that hard to implement then other things should probably come first.
Un1ted

Postby Steve » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:30 am

Here's how it looks on 1152x864:

Steve

Postby Vibe » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:31 am

ouch
Vibe

Postby L33LEE » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:54 am

I have actually come to appreciate the large scale interface.

It just means i need to be "more zoomed out than normal" from my character ingame for it to not look stupid.
Retribution ~ Death comes to those who wait.

Wishy for Mod - http://forum.salemthegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7783
L33LEE

Postby anox » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:47 am

The large scale interface is nice: it's easier to read and it's easier to navigate. The icons are prettier. Plus they give a more coherent look and feel to the entire game, which is pretty exciting.
Still, a button here and there to minimize and maximize some of the larger windows would be good (the skills window seems to only have a minimize option at this time).
anox

PreviousNext

Return to City upon a Hill