Salem Community and You

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Salem Community and You

Postby colesie » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:12 pm

After reading this post on my Halloween topic I've decided to make my response into its own topic so as not to ruin the fun that was shared at the actual event for anyone wanting to look back and re-live it later on down the road.
This is the post.
Makestro wrote:
colesie wrote:Or you could have y'know, left it where it was for anyone to use instead of making pointless screenshots and wasting 10 metal bars.

Was more fun to watch a bunch of people get stuck in the church carrying skeletons and not able to drop or port because they had no where to drop them(until my retarded ass was laughing so hard I let one get out), then steal and break the cauldron. At least it was for me, I couldn't care about how much fun you had.

I keep hearing talk about changing the community and how that will fix the game but you mouth-breathers seem to have a problem letting that happen.

Three major examples I can give:
-the recent halloween/cauldron smashing event and the general trolling/trying to keep people from entering/exiting the buildings and moving/stealing ****.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1601&start=40#p18588

-In haven we decided to make a "peace grid" along with a trading hub called "Apples for Oranges" which was within that grid. The idea was simple, no fighting/criminal activity within the grid in an effort to have the people who enjoy the crafting end of the game to play in peace along with providing a safe location (like Boston) for players to meet/talk/trade. In the end it was ruined by opposing factions (factions who themselves USED the trade center and were not harassed by their enemies who were running it.
Trade Centre Topic:
http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/vie ... es+oranges

Peace Grid Topic:
http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/vie ... 31&t=26316

-My third example is also tied into the last two. Every day for a set amount of time the gates would be opened to the trade hub and guards from the village of Dis would guard the stalls and vendors but before that would happen there was usually a 20 minute wait period where people were bored outside the walls waiting. I decided to make a fight arena for people to spar on as they wait and even went so far as to make a fight tournament. This tournament was forced to be cancelled close to its end because a group of butt-pirates decided to start ganking people in the area. No one felt safe anymore and therefore the trade hub and arena died. They even paved over my gold paving which I put down specifically for the community to enjoy. This was a full group effort. People from all sides of the community helped out by donating chairs, paving, etc. Ruined.
Link to the tournament thread:
http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/vie ... tournament

Link to the building of the spar arena:
http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/vie ... spar+arena

So you see, I have very little faith left in any of you. Most of the players involved in ***** up these charitable causes are also involved in Salem now. So you see, I've tried. I've tried 3 times on a larger scale. I was one of the two enforcers and rangers for the peace grid, I was one of the daily trade centre guards, I made the spar arena and organized the prizes/fights, and now I've attempted to host a Halloween party for you Salem players. You've ***** up all of those attempts. I am not a carebear by any means. I'm a core member of the biggest raiding faction in Haven, but really people, learn to appreciate a good thing or people will stop trying. Shameful displays all up in this bizz.
Last edited by colesie on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beep Boop Bop
My builds (Under Occupation)
Have you given haven a try? ◕‿◕
colesie

Re: Salem Community and You

Postby Dallane » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:26 pm

great post man i agree 100%

I have brought this up tons of times in the ideas forum but people are 2 scared of getting killed to do anything.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Makestro » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:31 pm

Lol, the tears be a flowing!
Makestro

Postby colesie » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:37 pm

Makestro wrote:Lol, the tears be a flowing!

Not exactly. More like disappointment.
Beep Boop Bop
colesie

Postby L33LEE » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:44 pm

The way i look at it is like this, You guys have a definitive way of wanting to play this game, imho being toxic etc, and your play style will not change.

However salem is very small at this moment in time, and toxicity at this stage is bad for the games development and could cause the game to crash and burn into nothing.

How about stop with the shenanigans for 6-12 months, Let the community grow and even help it grow into something huge, then start your trolling campaign and when the game is in a bigger player base state, it would be almost impossible to destroy it no matter how much you trolled and trolled and trolled in game players / events etc etc.

Or is that what you are worried about ? the game becoming so big, that the community as a whole would never allow such things to happen, and thus would stop your "fun" totally ?

EDIT: Yes i did roleplay as a tax collector for 2 weeks, and noticed how dead the game was and how little the game has become and stopped, and we even have plans in the pipework to help liven up the community with some in game events run by us etc.
Last edited by L33LEE on Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retribution ~ Death comes to those who wait.

Wishy for Mod - http://forum.salemthegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7783
L33LEE

Postby Potjeh » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:45 pm

I'm pretty sure these guys *want* the game to die.
Potjeh

Postby colesie » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:48 pm

At least Haven started with a good base and then degenerated into a gank-fest. Salem just seemed to skip the first bit. Boston is a great idea and needs to be kept around imo. If there's any hope for peaceful interaction it needs to be in a place where peace isn't an option.
Beep Boop Bop
colesie

Postby L33LEE » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:50 pm

Potjeh wrote:I'm pretty sure these guys *want* the game to die.

That is clear and obvious, yet nothing is done to stop it imho.

Devs game, devs way.
Retribution ~ Death comes to those who wait.

Wishy for Mod - http://forum.salemthegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7783
L33LEE

Postby Oddity » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:00 pm

Randian Supermen!
Let me know when it's H&H World 7.
Oddity

Postby Dallane » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:02 pm

Potjeh wrote:I'm pretty sure these guys *want* the game to die.

DOWN WITH SALEM!!!
KILL ALL NOOBS!
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Next

Return to City upon a Hill