Salem Community and You

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: Salem Community and You

Postby Tonkyhonk » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:28 pm

what i hate the most about these forums is that i have to agree joco, damnit.

some ppl are so proud of their uber gamer skills that they have to believe they are only a few who can learn how to play themselves and all others have to be taught by teachers.

and since when this thread has turned into "newbs who dont play salem and you" instead?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby L33LEE » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:30 pm

Tonkyhonk wrote:what i hate the most about these forums is that i have to agree joco, damnit.

some ppl are so proud of their uber gamer skills that they have to believe they are only a few who can learn how to play themselves and all others have to be taught by teachers.

and since when this thread has turned into "newbs who dont play salem and you" instead?

there is a difference between forceful education and an optional tutorial.

Get with the program please.

I personally taught myself how to play salem, with a few newb questions here and there, and many others are the same as me, however not "everyone" like this kind of introduction to a game, were they vend for themselves, and thus education / tutorial appeals to them to give them a taste of what this game could offer in 10/50/100/500+ hours of gameplay will keep them here to stay, were as if they are just dumped in boston, in hopes the community "may" help them, they will leave. If you say "the game is not for them then" i disagree, because with correct education of what salem has to offer, they might have stayed.
Retribution ~ Death comes to those who wait.

Wishy for Mod - http://forum.salemthegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7783
L33LEE

Postby darnokpl » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:56 pm

colesie wrote:When I first played minecraft it had 0 instruction yet I leaned into the wiki the second I built my first shelter and Youtube was also a good way to learn. I may post some tutorials on there now that I think about it. I just started a new job so I'll invest in a better mic and all that. But as I said, if people want to learn they will so long as the link is provided to them. If they're too lazy to read (young kids usually) then they derp through the game and can still enjoy it they just never make it to the higher levels of the game.

Yes you are right, but minecraft is single player and imho is easy if you compare it to Salem.
In single player game time doesn't matter, you can play and try to learn cool new things as long as you want to
and in minecraft you have access to most game feature in minutes, depends on your luck and spawn spot.

In Salem when you want to settle somewhere you need to find right location, it take hours for pros to find right spot, it take hours for newbies to find any spot!!!
And when you settle you need to build fast basic defences and that is problem with newbies,
they just don't think in that way and they are trying to learn what is fun for them, what is not and what is so unique with game they have, so they should stay there.

You said you searched wiki, would you done that if minecraft would had build-in wiki or informations what you can craft or basic tutorial
with only messages like "night is comming... you need to hide from green d**** :)"?

Some basic trainings in games is helpful at start and imho is a must in games when time do matters.
Later people will look for guides wiki, I am sure they will, but they are lazy and they won't do it if game won't be fun for them,
but that is ok some every one got his own taste and he must try something to know if it is good for him or not.
From my knowledge for new people at start running all over forests or from boston to forest and back isn't fun,
but they have no idea what this game (or hnh) is!

After guides and wiki is time for those "newbies" to join community and they will find forums trade and recruitation threads.
In time they will see it is better to play in group and they will try to search for friendly community too.
But until then game have to be interesting for them (I am assuming they are fans of crafting mmos, just new in Salem).
darnokpl

Postby colesie » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:05 pm

L33LEE wrote:
Tonkyhonk wrote:what i hate the most about these forums is that i have to agree joco, damnit.

there is a difference between forceful education and an optional tutorial.

Get with the program please.

I personally taught myself how to play salem, with a few newb questions here and there, and many others are the same as me, however not "everyone" like this kind of introduction to a game, were they vend for themselves, and thus education / tutorial appeals to them to give them a taste of what this game could offer in 10/50/100/500+ hours of gameplay will keep them here to stay, were as if they are just dumped in boston, in hopes the community "may" help them, they will leave. If you say "the game is not for them then" i disagree, because with correct education of what salem has to offer, they might have stayed.

When Salem was first introduced there was far less information available to players than there is now and there are still people playing from the very first beta key releases so saying that they will leave isn't exactly true. I agree some people don't like thinking but it's sort of a requirement in this game.

;)
Beep Boop Bop
My builds (Under Occupation)
Have you given haven a try? ◕‿◕
colesie

Postby darnokpl » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:27 pm

colesie wrote:When Salem was first introduced there was far less information available to players than there is now and there are still people playing from the very first beta key releases so saying that they will leave isn't exactly true. I agree some people don't like thinking but it's sort of a requirement in this game.

And this is reason number one why we need tutorials and more user friendly UI and community :D

Beta keys were send to people that where interested in Salem long before closed beta started!!!

They were aware what it is or their friends invited them, and showed how to play, but in open beta there will be some random, bored other games and alone people...
just curious about another crafting mmo.
darnokpl

Postby sabinati » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:31 pm

you guys are acting like Salem is a finished product.
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby L33LEE » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:34 pm

sabinati wrote:you guys are acting like Salem is a finished product.

We are not, we are trying to help them develop the game for when it is released, so on thus release it will get as big of a launch as possible, and get people to "STAY" for the long run, and not just leave because of how "shabby" OP above mentioned the ingame direction + hub/interface is.
Retribution ~ Death comes to those who wait.

Wishy for Mod - http://forum.salemthegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7783
L33LEE

Postby Dallane » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:48 pm

L33LEE wrote:

We are not, we are trying to help them develop the game for when it is released, so on thus release it will get as big of a launch as possible, and get people to "STAY" for the long run, and not just leave because of how "shabby" OP above mentioned the ingame direction + hub/interface is.

Its been said over and over again devs have a direction they are going with the game. Its not in the direction you want. please shut up
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby darnokpl » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:49 pm

I know that Salem needs more back-end stuff now, but imho Devs should be aware that their logic making game rules hardcore
and their ideas about game play are awesome, but making game rules, UI and in-game-learning hardcore is not so awesome as they think it is :)
darnokpl

Postby sabinati » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:52 pm

OK. You're suggesting things that are already planned OR will never happen.
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

PreviousNext

Return to City upon a Hill