I may be back

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: I may be back

Postby ramuller » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:15 pm

jwhitehorn wrote:
ramuller wrote:That looks right, thanks.


How much silver bounty are you paying if I bring this person to justice?

Chief PeePooKaKa
MM Tribe


I doubt I have any silver left at all after my body was looted and am not planning to come back in game for several months (at best I had about 100 silver after building my house the day before I died).
Swordmage
Image
User avatar
ramuller
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:40 am
Location: Central New Jersey, USA

Re: I may be back

Postby colesie » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:06 pm

How would criminal acts work if there was a non-pvp server? If you remove them completely people could exploit it to no end to grief others. If you leave it, the whole system of retribution would need to be changed and imo, it wouldn't be nearly as satisfying. The thrill of the build imo is the survival aspect. Why make a massive village if there's literally nothing to oppose you? Why make walls aside from maybe the odd animal roaming around, and even then, they couldn't kill you or do any lasting damage. The idea of a carebear server is just not a good one.
Beep Boop Bop
My builds (Under Occupation)
Image
Have you given haven a try? ◕‿◕
User avatar
colesie
 
Posts: 4748
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:20 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: I may be back

Postby sabinati » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:55 am

if you want a non-pvp or non-permadeath version of salem then you better learn to program because it won't be made by Seatribe

We specialize in permadeath and forum drama. :-)
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
User avatar
sabinati
Moderator
 
Posts: 1135
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:48 am

Re: I may be back

Postby darnokpl » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:45 am

sabinati wrote:if you want a non-pvp or non-permadeath version of salem then you better learn to program because it won't be made by Seatribe

We specialize in permadeath and forum drama. :-)


Yea forum drama with 30 actors and users 63 chars 65 online :)


colesie wrote:How would criminal acts work if there was a non-pvp server? If you remove them completely people could exploit it to no end to grief others. If you leave it, the whole system of retribution would need to be changed and imo, it wouldn't be nearly as satisfying. The thrill of the build imo is the survival aspect. Why make a massive village if there's literally nothing to oppose you? Why make walls aside from maybe the odd animal roaming around, and even then, they couldn't kill you or do any lasting damage. The idea of a carebear server is just not a good one.


Some people would build town coz they want to play with friends, some people could try to grief, but without waste and murder there will be little options for them.
Yes they could cheat in Boston, but they are doing it now and you can't stop them.
Yes they could try to KO and rob people around boston, but it is possible now and you can't stop it.
Yes newbies camps without wall or with opened gates would be griefers target number one, but it is same as now and you can't stop it (difference on non-pvp newbies won't loose characters).

So please tell me how non-pvp server would be more griefers paradise than it is now?

EDIT: Btw I had some different ideas to educate newbies, but thx to this forum drama I see they won't work.
Image
User avatar
darnokpl
 
Posts: 2019
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:10 am

Re: I may be back

Postby Ass_Kraken » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:53 pm

darnokpl wrote:So please tell me how non-pvp server would be more griefers paradise than it is now?

Because if you can't kill the griefers, what are you supposed to do? Hire someone to smash the smelters they only used to make lockets for waste? Smash their walls so people can walk around on their claim and have a circle-jerk? KO them and take their (Useless) clothing and their sword (Assuming they don't vault everything on an alt when they sleep)?
Image
User avatar
Ass_Kraken
 
Posts: 1277
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:19 pm

Re: I may be back

Postby darnokpl » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:19 pm

Ass_Kraken wrote:
darnokpl wrote:So please tell me how non-pvp server would be more griefers paradise than it is now?

Because if you can't kill the griefers, what are you supposed to do? Hire someone to smash the smelters they only used to make lockets for waste? Smash their walls so people can walk around on their claim and have a circle-jerk? KO them and take their (Useless) clothing and their sword (Assuming they don't vault everything on an alt when they sleep)?


Wait, but Chief was killed... twice? Did that stopped him?

Imho there is no way to protect yourself (as newbie) from griefers, you can only go to forum and write about your death... if you know there is a forum!
Most newbies doesn't know even that. Next someone will track and kill griefer, but it is punishment not prevention.

To prevent we need to educate newbies and that is possible if:
- we build huge town full of newbies and every day will teach them and show how to do this or that in proper way,
- Devs will implement safe zone near Boston,
- Devs will create non-pvp server,

Second and third idea depends on Devs good will, first depends on large factions good will and in HnH does not worked well.
If anyone else got any better idea please share it.
Image
User avatar
darnokpl
 
Posts: 2019
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:10 am

Re: I may be back

Postby Ass_Kraken » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:16 pm

darnokpl wrote:Wait, but Chief was killed... twice? Did that stopped him?

But to stop something, you must first do something.

darnokpl wrote:Imho there is no way to protect yourself (as newbie) from griefers, you can only go to forum and write about your death...if you know there is a forum!
Most newbies doesn't know even that.

What. You have to create an account at this site to log in and there is a button right on the beta-key sign-up screen saying "Forum". I would assume they choose to not read the forum because it is all just people ***** at each other.
Image
User avatar
Ass_Kraken
 
Posts: 1277
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:19 pm

Re: I may be back

Postby darnokpl » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:45 pm

Ass_Kraken wrote:
darnokpl wrote:Imho there is no way to protect yourself (as newbie) from griefers, you can only go to forum and write about your death...if you know there is a forum!
Most newbies doesn't know even that.

What. You have to create an account at this site to log in and there is a button right on the beta-key sign-up screen saying "Forum". I would assume they choose to not read the forum because it is all just people ***** at each other.


Wrong, they don't read forum because in any other game it is now required to play and "win" :D
Image
User avatar
darnokpl
 
Posts: 2019
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:10 am

Re: I may be back

Postby colesie » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:19 pm

I don't think you grasped what I said because what you're talking about makes no sense
Beep Boop Bop
My builds (Under Occupation)
Image
Have you given haven a try? ◕‿◕
User avatar
colesie
 
Posts: 4748
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:20 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: I may be back

Postby darnokpl » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:42 pm

colesie wrote:I don't think you grasped what I said because what you're talking about makes no sense


Saying that this game is different than any other and new players got no idea how to play makes no sense?
Image
User avatar
darnokpl
 
Posts: 2019
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:10 am

PreviousNext

Return to City upon a Hill

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests