Why does the advantage always need to go to the Raider?

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: Why does the advantage always need to go to the Raider?

Postby darnokpl » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:39 am

Darwoth wrote:as an aside the only thing that needs to change in order to "fix" darkness vaults is to make it so that characters with high enough stats do not take drain when they have the criminal debuff the way they normally wouldn't, as it stands the criminal debuff will make you take drain two feet in even if your rocking 150 humors. fix that, do not make a kneejerk change like making darkness claims not give a debuff or some other similar thing that will make darkness targets EASIER to hit than normal ones.

Why people are crying over darkness debuff while it is not problem?
Btw right now I haven't seen any raid and siege only some assassinations with less than 1-2h.
Raids or sieges should take 8+h imho and darkness only stops noob single assassins and will not stop real raid party 5+ people.

Procne wrote:... in 3 hours in deep darkness...

Please show me screen from 3h deep darkness then talk about it.
darnokpl

Postby Procne » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:08 am

darnokpl wrote:Please show me screen from 3h deep darkness then talk about it.

I'm not sure what you mean. I prposed thast lean-to would decay within 3h while in deep darkness
Procne

Postby darnokpl » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:10 am

Procne wrote:
darnokpl wrote:Please show me screen from 3h deep darkness then talk about it.

I'm not sure what you mean. I prposed thast lean-to would decay within 3h while in deep darkness

I mean you haven't been in darkness.
If you want to stop criminals building towns in darkness it would be better to do it like:

Every criminal leanto decay in any deep darkness or any criminal char suffers more darkness drain and cant teleport to boston from darkness.
darnokpl

Postby Procne » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:16 am

darnokpl wrote:I mean you haven't been in darkness.
If you want to stop criminals building towns in darkness it would be better to do it like:

Every criminal leanto decay in any deep darkness or any criminal char suffers more darkness drain and cant teleport to boston from darkness.

General idea was about stopping people from building HVs, not only criminals, as well as stopping them from using darkness as protection from raiding / breaking in
Procne

Postby TotalyMoo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:23 am

A decent idea is to add some kind of "raid camp" building, to add additionally on the whole siege mechanic thing.

Let raiders set up camp in the darkness where they can go and prevent drain, like a house/tent.

This would make for some interesting attack/counter attack mechanics as the defenders would want to take the camp out.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby Odekva » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:29 am

Procne wrote:General idea was about stopping people from building HVs, not only criminals, as well as stopping them from using darkness as protection from raiding / breaking in

But why? Can't get it.
I do think that 1-2 hours of Raiding should not be enough to destroy 1-2 months of work. In light or in darkness. Have a lot of examples where people where frustrated and left the game after such things. I myself lost once a 2-3 weeks char just becouse someone was walking by in a bad(or good?) mood.

Darkness does give a protection, but its not a 100% protection, it could be raided, it would just take more efforts(wich I find a reasonable payback). And it's no easy living in there actually.

So I, personally, consider it more balanced as it is then any of your's suggestions here.

But in any case I do hope that if Multiserver thing is finally at its end, we'll get a lot of new things and changes and rebalancing.

glhf.
The Dwarven Rose shop
Please visit, have quite a bunch of things including food. ;)
Odekva

Postby Procne » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:53 am

Odekva, if you check some of my previous posts you will see that I hate the fact that so much work can be spoilt so fast.
But see, darkness practically protects only those who raid, because they are the ones who are willing to settle and build HV there. Because they don't have to live there, they just need safe spot for their lean-to. As Darnokpl said, they can simply have town in the light and HV in darkness.

And it is my impression that devs wanted it to be a dangerous place, not somewhere you can live, but a place to which you travel to hunt and look for rare items.
Settling there should start with removing darkness, for example by building church. And that would be fine. But building town and keeping it in darkness intentionally isn't what devs have planned I think.
Procne

Postby Realak » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:00 pm

Procne wrote:But see, darkness practically protects only those who raid, because they are the ones who are willing to settle and build HV there.

I'm sorry but your completely wrong. What about building a village out here to take advatange of upcoming patches? You don't think you will be make some good food from a hidebehind etc etc?

What about if crop purity was easier in darkness ( because the risk) etc etc

That isn't the only reason, stop reaching. There is plenty reasons...what about preparing for witchcraft? get a clue.
Oops. I Dropped My Doritos. ¦]
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲
Realak

Postby Procne » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:24 pm

I was talking about protection offered by darkness and it being most useful to people who raid. What does crop purity, witchcraft and other potential, unconfirmed benefits have to do with security bonuses?

Why are you trying to imply that I said there should be no benefits from darkness?

All the benefits you listed can still be supported if reducing darkness locally (for exmample by church in 30 tiles radius) is practically required for settling.
Procne

Postby Gacrux » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:00 pm

Realak wrote:What about if crop purity was easier in darkness ( because the risk) etc etc

I dont see the practicality of growing in dark, maybe some crops that are darkness grow-able maybe?

Realak wrote:What about building a village out here to take advantage of upcoming patches?

I strongly believe that the darkness will eventually become a non "camp-able region" simply because as the player base increases the darkness will be the safe haven and frankly wheres the fun in that?

It will boil down to the content that isn't raider direction'd, and the whole attack vs defense balance because atm its sadly lacking, not because it is imbalance but because of the steps to defend, in my opinion aren't practical brazier/torches and 5 stone hedges just seems a bit excessive I'd rather go back to the old hnh way of siege and patrol.
Gacrux

Previous

Return to City upon a Hill