Why is there so few people playing the game? - Moved

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: Why is there so few people playing the game? - Moved

Postby TotalyMoo » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:34 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Did I say anywhere in my post that Paradox isn't a company in business to make a profit? They have clearly canceled games that lack vision, excessively over budget, or for other reasons. They have also published and keep publishing some games that other companies wouldn't touch because the profit margins are so small. There's a big difference between "we don't care if we make money" and "we don't care if we don't become millionaires on this next title".

Compare that to EA, Activision-Blizzard, etc. I'm not going to say I've done a thorough research of these companies, but can anyone really say that a one of them has published a game that had less than a 5-10 million development budget? Some of the new games have 80-100 million dollar budgets (think that's the number I heard for both Halo 4 and the new Call of Duty). Again, I haven't done the research and someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like some of Paradox's games are getting out the door for relatively cheap in comparison.

We like money.

Paradox has a beautiful balance of "sure to make cash" hit games, many of these being the PDS games like the EU series or CK II, along with our "let's see if this works" projects. Of course we make very conscious decisions when it comes to which games we actually develop but there's a genuine love for gaming at this company. Our CEO is also one of our most dedicated players.

We're also in an extreme growing spurt right now, almost doubling in size over about a year. The goal is to keep giving games like Salem a spot in the market along with supporting our older franchises that kind of create the backbone of the company. As mentioned it's hard to do projects like this if we don't have the monies so it has to be balanced.

This is kind of off-topic though, so let's get back on track ;)
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Re: Why is there so few people playing the game? - Moved

Postby Sevenless » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:44 pm

Honestly of the recent keys given out, the retention has been pretty good. We went from 50 players to 300-500 online at any given time with 2k accounts created.

I think everyone knows Salem isn't a full game yet, and the 2 months of no updates killed the playerbase.

Case closed really.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Previous

Return to City upon a Hill