Custom clients: Cheating and player retention

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: Custom clients: Cheating and player retention

Postby TotalyMoo » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:56 pm

alloin wrote:What about mods saying stuff like this ? I'm sure a publisher from a commercial-live game loves mods who make statements like that :D
(not that i believe anything he says though, he has proven that himself many times)

Although the methods may be unorthodox in some peoples eyes, they are testing and reporting bugs in a beta-stage game.

Once again, the moderators job on the forum has nothing whatsoever to do with them in-game.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby alloin » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:09 pm

TotalyMoo wrote:
alloin wrote:What about mods saying stuff like this ? I'm sure a publisher from a commercial-live game loves mods who make statements like that :D
(not that i believe anything he says though, he has proven that himself many times)

Although the methods may be unorthodox in some peoples eyes, they are testing and reporting bugs in a commercial beta-stage game, destroying people's claims using those exploits where some have might payed real money for...

Once again, the moderators job on the forum has nothing whatsoever to do with them in-game.

I changed that bit for you !

While I understand the meaning of beta, there is a difference with a commercial-beta.
Using exploits to gain advantage or e-peen ingame, just for that purpose, seems wrong to me and many others.
Statements like this may strongly affect the playerbase, especially if its coming from moderators.
jorb wrote:all I see is misplaced machismo and a lot of very cheap talk. ^^

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

Postby TotalyMoo » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:13 pm

alloin wrote:
TotalyMoo wrote:

Although the methods may be unorthodox in some peoples eyes, they are testing and reporting bugs in a commercial beta-stage game, destroying people's claims using those exploits where some have might payed real money for...

I changed that bit for you !

While I understand the meaning of beta, there is a difference with a commercial-beta.
Using exploits to gain advantage or e-peen ingame, just for that purpose, seems wrong to me and many others.
Statements like this may strongly affect the playerbase, especially if its coming from moderators.

I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby Dallane » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:16 pm

alloin wrote:
TotalyMoo wrote:

odd you changing that when you have your own thread where you destroy settlements
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Dallane » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:16 pm

but you still haven't posted your coords........

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby darnokpl » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:37 pm

Dallane wrote:

but you still haven't posted your coords........

And staxjax still haven't posted his town screens even those from last world :lol:

alloin wrote:

Unfortunately this is true.

If we are talking about custom clients then I think it will be nice to make client that will help educate newbies :)
Display huge window with guides would be nice for start... I am talking about guides not only like "find smoothstone",
but more like "be aware of chief", "don't trust anyone", "avoid large towns", "before you leave Boston find large group of friendly people and stick with them",
"do you know salem forum? No, here is link...".

Imho that would save many players from getting murdered just for stupid, in permadeath game, but common in any other game, behavior.
darnokpl

Postby Dallane » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:41 pm

darnokpl wrote:And staxjax still haven't posted his town screens even those from last world :lol:

why does his town last world matter at all?

Dallane

Postby darnokpl » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:55 pm

Dallane wrote:
darnokpl wrote:And staxjax still haven't posted his town screens even those from last world :lol:

why does his town last world matter at all?

Any proof of his pro architecture skills matters to me :)
darnokpl

Postby Tonkyhonk » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:22 pm

fyi, stax is not a mod in IRC. and IRC mods hardly moderates trolling or name calling.
his statements in IRC weighs as much or little as yours or any others.

if you find stax or any of his mates actually exploiting, you should report so.
as far as i see though, alloin, arent you the one exploiting the current advantage of the darkness feature as you often brag in IRC?
btw, reporting bugs, abuses, exploits does NOT require you to be a mod in case you didnt know.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby Ass_Kraken » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:47 pm

darnokpl wrote:
Dallane wrote:but you still haven't posted your coords........

And staxjax still haven't posted his town screens even those from last world :lol:

Who the ***** cares, no one needs to see his town and just because you drool over his ***** all the time dosen't mean he owes you anything.
Ass_Kraken

PreviousNext

Return to City upon a Hill