Custom clients: Cheating and player retention

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: Custom clients: Cheating and player retention

Postby alloin » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:45 pm

Dallane wrote:and yes living in the darkness is abusing mechanics. wait till we find you and see if my abuse can counter the darkness. post those coords for beta testing plz

jwhitehorn wrote:Regardless, The Chief has tracked you hours west of the darkness border west of the "Crater Mountain" and does not wish to engage in the inevitable pissing match of if you were not summoned due to mercy or due to inability to do so.
jorb wrote:all I see is misplaced machismo and a lot of very cheap talk. ^^

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

Postby APXEOLOG » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:46 pm

fox wrote:Apxeolog, u are still not banned? ¦]

Why should i be?
You can call me 'arh'. No needs to distort my nickname :)
APXEOLOG

Postby Dallane » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:47 pm

alloin wrote:
Dallane wrote:and yes living in the darkness is abusing mechanics. wait till we find you and see if my abuse can counter the darkness. post those coords for beta testing plz

jwhitehorn wrote:Regardless, The Chief has tracked you hours west of the darkness border west of the "Crater Mountain" and does not wish to engage in the inevitable pissing match of if you were not summoned due to mercy or due to inability to do so.

about time
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby darnokpl » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:53 pm

L33LEE wrote:I just get the vibe from people like you jax and dallane, you only want a neich little community of 50 players and nothing ever more

Simple they got their pro club and nobody else is invited :lol:

L33LEE wrote:when new people come along with idears suggestions etc, they are instantly shot down, called "care bears" etc etc,

True, seen many times in I&I, they are only care about their play-style, because salem is only for them :lol:

L33LEE wrote:times change, things change, paradox etc should be listening to its "concerned growing new members" than sticking by old moto's. Times change, players bases change, and if salem wish's to grow and become a competitive mmo it needs to start changing also, and people like you jax seem like the people who want to keep it behind in the dark ages.

I am saying that since first beta :D
darnokpl

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:57 pm

Realak wrote:1. History repeats itself.

2. HnH custom clients went horribly wrong. Tons of people had secret clients with all sorts of farming scripts,mining scripts etc etc
(In b4 "hurr durrr all these clients are public now" - "My response is yes, after the game is dead they came out...lolol"

1. I quite agree

2. You think it was because lofar and jorb decided to make the code public. Unfortunately, it was going on before that, which was part of the decision. People before the summer/fall of 2010 (think that's when the HnH client was released for public modding) had bots, hacks,and cheats. If I recall right, it was admitted that Sodom, the largest faction at the time, already had one for several months. Without an open client, there's just going to be certain members of certain factions that get these extra little tools.

These things can be combated, but it takes manpower and money to do so. I don't think a game the size of Salem with a two man team can devote the amount of resources needed in a short amount of time to clean up the client issues.

If anyone doubts my statements, they can certainly read up on the history of it over on the HnH forums. There's a "Pre-emptively Asked Questions" link at the top with information about the client code as a link in there somewhere. I believe there's also an announcement thread linked inside the client information page for discussion of the decision.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Dallane » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:59 pm

darnokpl wrote:
L33LEE wrote:I just get the vibe from people like you jax and dallane, you only want a neich little community of 50 players and nothing ever more

L33LEE wrote:when new people come along with idears suggestions etc, they are instantly shot down, called "care bears" etc etc,

True, seen many times in I&I, they are only care about their play-style, because salem is only for them :lol:

L33LEE wrote:times change, things change, paradox etc should be listening to its "concerned growing new members" than sticking by old moto's. Times change, players bases change, and if salem wish's to grow and become a competitive mmo it needs to start changing also, and people like you jax seem like the people who want to keep it behind in the dark ages.

It's not hard to join a village =/

Of course things change but until paradox wants to make this like any other trash mmo then I'll move to the next best thing or back to hnh. The fact is this is for a small number of people and there is ZERO indication that this will change.

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby L33LEE » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:09 pm

Dallane wrote:
darnokpl wrote:

It's not hard to join a village =/

Of course things change but until paradox wants to make this like any other trash mmo then I'll move to the next best thing or back to hnh. The fact is this is for a small number of people and there is ZERO indication that this will change.

Some changes which should be made, like strict policies on serious modded clients being disallowed resulting in banning due to unfair advantages, and giving a good base client with a radar etc should not hurt and legitimate player and all the current "game play ability rule sets" are in place.

If a good / great base client is made there would be no need for modded clients, and such or proof should be a bannable offense. If you feel the "NEED" for having unfair advantages due to having coder experience you should not be playing games period, it is against the very fabric of online gaming. Unless you be a cheater and can only play from cheating ?

Or as i said, unless you only want this game to be your personal little hub of 50 players with no expansion, then go for it, i feel this game could and should be something huge, but if salem wish;s to go against the big boys and become a serious perma death mmo, with a big player base, modded clients need to be removed, a base client NEEDS to be introduced and using modded clients to give advantages like in any normal game should be a bannable offense.

If i was a shareholder of paradox or w/e i would be wanting to make changes like this for the game to expand in a good way to make better profits, and i for one, would like a x100 size player base just from some simple modification to rules and the client which would not effect any legit good player.

You 50 coders are unhappy you will lose your neich game were you can have endless modded clients for unfair advantage beyond advantage ? I say ***** off and good riddance move to the next game, so the new 50,000 players can come join.
Retribution ~ Death comes to those who wait.

Wishy for Mod - http://forum.salemthegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7783
L33LEE

Postby Dallane » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:15 pm

L33LEE wrote:Some changes which should be made, like strict policies on serious modded clients being disallowed resulting in banning due to unfair advantages, and giving a good base client with a radar etc should not hurt and legitimate player and all the current "game play ability rule sets" are in place.

If a good / great base client is made there would be no need for modded clients, and such or proof should be a bannable offense. If you feel the "NEED" for having unfair advantages due to having coder experience you should not be playing games period, it is against the very fabric of online gaming. Unless you be a cheater and can only play from cheating ?

Or as i said, unless you only want this game to be your personal little hub of 50 players with no expansion, then go for it, i feel this game could and should be something huge, but if salem wish;s to go against the big boys and become a serious perma death mmo, with a big player base, modded clients need to be removed, a base client NEEDS to be introduced and using modded clients to give advantages like in any normal game should be a bannable offense.

If i was a shareholder of paradox or w/e i would be wanting to make changes like this for the game to expand in a good way to make better profits, and i for one, would like a x100 size player base just from some simple modification to rules and the client which would not effect any legit good player.

You 50 coders are unhappy you will lose your neich game were you can have endless modded clients for unfair advantage beyond advantage ? I say ***** off and good riddance move to the next game, so the new 50,000 players can come join.

You know you can mod the clients just as easy right? I agree with the client problem but until they have the time to make one you might as well get all the advantage you can. I much rather have more content then burning out(like everyone is/will) and running hay bots and farming until something happens in game for me to turn them off and get on my main.

You know this is a really niche game right? Making this for 50k+ people would have to make it as wow like as possible. its not going to happen. Thank god you are not in any power at paradox to make a good game terrible.

Dallane

Postby L33LEE » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:19 pm

Dallane wrote:
L33LEE wrote:Some changes which should be made, like strict policies on serious modded clients being disallowed resulting in banning due to unfair advantages, and giving a good base client with a radar etc should not hurt and legitimate player and all the current "game play ability rule sets" are in place.

You know you can mod the clients just as easy right? I agree with the client problem but until they have the time to make one you might as well get all the advantage you can. I much rather have more content then burning out(like everyone is/will) and running hay bots and farming until something happens in game for me to turn them off and get on my main.

You know this is a really niche game right? Making this for 50k+ people would have to make it as wow like as possible. its not going to happen. Thank god you are not in any power at paradox to make a good game terrible.

Clearly you have no faith in the product your playing or the development team behind them.

That is clearly obvious now.

Perma-death will appeal to a lot of players new and old, if the game is advertised and changed in the correct ways it will grow, i have seen text based mmo's have x10 the size actives than salem has, for you to think 50k player base is beyond this games reach shows the confidence you have in this game, and its long term game play ability.
Retribution ~ Death comes to those who wait.

Wishy for Mod - http://forum.salemthegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7783
L33LEE

Postby Dallane » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:31 pm

L33LEE wrote:Clearly you have no faith in the product your playing or the development team behind them.

That is clearly obvious now.

Perma-death will appeal to a lot of players new and old, if the game is advertised and changed in the correct ways it will grow, i have seen text based mmo's have x10 the size actives than salem has, for you to think 50k player base is beyond this games reach shows the confidence you have in this game, and its long term game play ability.

I actually never said that. Permadeath does not appeal to most people at all. Look through HoB and the old forums and you will see droves of people crying because they lost everything. The only ideas I shut down hard are retarded things trying to remove permadeath. I was making that comment in reference to you saying how i shut down new ideas. Game could see that numbers but that will take awhile. Whats holding back people from playing and staying is a massive lack of content which jorbtar have acknowledged on multiple occasions.

Dallane

PreviousNext

Return to City upon a Hill