Soul howl to Jorb&Loftar

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Soul howl to Jorb&Loftar

Postby Kakandaville » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:56 pm

Greetings Jorb, Loftar. Jorb, i've contacted you about half a year ago asking about Salem etc, maybe you remember me. This topic is nothing else but an opinion of not just a general player, but i hope it will convey the position of all for-idea gamers, who don't value graphics the most, etc, hope you got what i am talking about. So, a little bit oversized intro, but lets proceed to the core of the topic.

First of all i would like to mention, if smone is interested, that i was inspired to write this, it is not totally MY thought but rather 5%mine and the other 95% of others by whom i was inspired.

So the main idea is next. You probably already know, but i won't be lazy to mention it once again: Haven&Hearth was great. It is an example of real values. That's not graphic, that matters, nor its any kind of scenario etc. It's the idea. And the idea was great: new, authentic, engaging. Everyone who had enough skill to penetrate go-in barrier was captured by the game for months, even years. And the exprerience and the emotions. Oldfags said they found a new breath in this game, while other games are just the same candies in different covers. And your example shows: you don't need money to make something valuable, piece of a workmanship. You need an idea, and a couple of straight hands, and eagerness ofc. And you did it. I hope you were and still are inspired by themes like this, by great references, by your audience, which is the most skilled among gamers i dare say. And we all thank you and find your work brilliant, we are inspired by your game, example, we are very greateful for the experience! Ask anyone who played Haven for a month at least. But what is Salem?

Everybody needs to eat, everybody wants money. But when you get your money, expenses also rise, and you still find a lack of money in your pocket, that's how it seems to work. And we understand your needs, ofc, it was discussed and not once or twice, but many times. And we all wish you good luck, money, happiness(the most valuable point)((At least i do)). And the thing i want to convey is money not all you would wish in your life. You were given the talent and the opportunity to integrate something new, new approaches, new experiences, you are creators. So create! Salem is totally not the thing to be loved. I mean some people love Crysis 2, indeed, and you should love your work, the masterpiece you're creating, otherwise it won't work. I also understand that some people will like Salem, and won't like HnH. But from the point of a guy who played both games i can evaluate and say: Though Salem is kind of HnH in a different cover, even with new content it isn't half as great as HnH. How otherwise to explain that people are still playing HnH instead of moving to Salem?

So what do i want to convey is the idea that you should continue working on HnH. Just look on online! Haven having no advertisements attracted thrice as much people as are online in Salem now! Even with less content, with lags, 2,5-d graphics etc... That means you can do it. And Haven is worth of investing there your work. You did it in 2, why don't you take some more people and advance hnh? Ofc you may say how do we buy bread then having no income from HnH? That is to be discussed, and if you may, there will start a discussion, but it is too early to start it provided that you will abandon HnH in future.

So here is my humble opinion. I hope arguments are persuasive enough and there are not many grammar mistakes.
Best wishes as always.
Kakandaville.
Kakandaville

Re: Soul howl to Jorb&Loftar

Postby painhertz » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:10 pm

Good luck with this.
"since i am in my 30s and could probably throw you across the room"

"Porky" Darwoth: Confusing reality and video games since 2012.......
painhertz

Postby ElCapitan1701 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:33 pm

Couldn`t all those "the old days were better" threads been merged? Btw: I haven`t played H&H, but I know many players loving Salem.
ElCapitan1701

Postby FunForLife » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:19 pm

Kakandaville wrote:Though Salem is kind of HnH in a different cover, even with new content it isn't half as great as HnH.

I haven´t played HnH, but from my point of view this sounds hardly like, the new content is simply different and not fitting to you personally! But maybe its only in your opinion (+ few HnH fans) its not half as good!

Everything i heard from HnH made me never play it, but i really like Salem and i am looking forward to all the good things that can be done on a plattform like this!

In your whole post (its carefully worded and nice to read), there is not a single example what in HnH was better or in Salem is worse, so its hard to discuss anything on this base. Your post is just a personal feeling and point of view, nothing rational to discuss about. ;)
FunForLife

Postby Sevenless » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:21 pm

Haven is better than salem because haven has had more development time. That's pretty much it. Salem will blow haven out of the water purely because salem is getting funding and haven never will.

Want them to go back to haven? Anti up some cash then :P
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:40 pm

FunForLife wrote:Everything i heard from HnH made me never play it, but i really like Salem and i am looking forward to all the good things that can be done on a plattform like this!

Pretty much identical games at the core. The differences come in style and specific mechanics.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Kakandaville » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:32 pm

Guys, i appreciate your replies, but here is my position:

Considering the HnH experience: maybe you're right. If you haven't played HnH then you're free from that emotions and experience we had when we found it. Your experience started from Salem and your views were formed primarily by it, who knows, maybe it works like this.

Considering the time of development i don't agree. They were in two if the legend doesn't lie, now they are believed to have a team. And having a team and a sponsor/producer behind you putting deadlines should give its results. Negative or positive is to be seen, but the situation for now is clear.

Although, although, who knows what awaits us in future and what Salem will appear to be as a final product.

And at the end of the post a little philosophical phrase i heard:
Tomorrow will never be better than yesterday. Whether its true or not i don't dare say right now, but a grain of truth seems to be present there. You remember mostly good moments, forgetting bad.
And i want to mention once again: This was a houl soul, it was gathering in my brain for quite a long time and now it overflowed and i got filled with emotions and on emotional basis i wrote it etc, etc.

Cos i heard a video today where a guy tells about the development of gaming. At first all was based on ideas, it was just a hobby: to make games. Then larger audiences were attracted and managers came. And then technologies started to be applied. And now everything has come to play on your instincts in order to just take money from you, namely:
1)You pay for the feeling of self-valuability
2)Sex instincts
That's the obvious ones i can think of right now, but there are obviously more. And that makes me sad, not only me hopefully. Cos games are A.R.T. Just like paintings, music, books. And art shouldn't be commercialized in my opinion, cos it contaminates art. Under inspiration you will more probably do a masterpiece than under the motive of money, isn't it?

Join the discussion!
Kakandaville

Postby Sevenless » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:02 pm

I thought I'd played HnH... :| Maybe... not?
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Dallane » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:57 am

lol wtf this thread. hnh is dead until salem is done so wait it out
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:19 am

Kakandaville wrote: And art shouldn't be commercialized in my opinion, cos it contaminates art.

And yet some of the greatest works of art are commissioned pieces done for "commercial" purposes. Strange that, huh?
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Next

Return to City upon a Hill