Soul howl to Jorb&Loftar

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: Soul howl to Jorb&Loftar

Postby Steve » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:26 pm

Coffeemania wrote:There is a reason why they are making closed beta for a free game--- its not complete ...

I would completely agree with you if this beta would really be a closed beta. But it's not. Keys are readily available, there's no wipe planned before "launch" and you can buy in-game currency with real money - for all intents and purposes this game is almost "released" already, only missing some marketing and advertising. But then, almost everybody frequenting the usual MMORPG forums knows about the game and probably has had a beta access key by now.

The character(s) you build now are the character(s) you'll play at release (unless you get them killed), the claims and settlements you build now are the ones you'll have at release. And in that I see a problem. Only speaking from my personal preference, it looks like I will have a character with all skills and reasonable humours (50+) before the game even officially releases - what's left to do for me after launch? Making alt after alt? Certainly not my thing. Running around slaughtering everybody I see? Not my thing too.

So, what's left to do after "launch"?
Steve

Postby Superiodity » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:29 pm

You should probably just read this thread Steve
http://forum.salemgame.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1061
Superiodity

Postby Un1ted » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:40 pm

Just because access to keys are "reasonably" easy to get doesn't mean the game is near completion, it's just in a later stage of testing. Believe me, the vast majority have never even heard of mmorpg.com - a few more know about tentonhammer, but still this is a small minority of players who've had access to keys. While it seems like the core mechanics of the game are mostly in place, there is a lot more coming from my understanding. I do agree that this is probably somewhere in between a CB and an OB but there is a lot of room for shades of gray between those definitions and varies a lot between different games from different developers. Just because one certain definition "fits" for one game doesn't mean it fits them all.

I would define this as something like a "Live Test" rather than "Open or Closed" where it is helpful to get an idea of how basic systems will function once the game goes officially Live.
Un1ted

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:09 am

The fact of what "phase" of beta it's in doesn't really matter. Beta is never a complete game, anyway. Some companies just like to hide the incompleteness behind level caps and limited areas to explore.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby ErdTod » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:01 am

HnH is way more challenging. Thats why I like it more than Salem. Yes, probably it's because Salem is raw yet. But it is really sad to realize that HnH is dead now. If you have no futher plans of developing HnH - why don't you gather a team of enthusiasts that will develop the game under your supervision? I bet there will be some. At least it is better than abandoning the Masterpiece.
ErdTod

Postby Vibe » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:28 am

Is it only me that really dislikes the graphics? I thought 2d isometric from Haven & Hearth were wonderful. This 3D is just bad, textures, models, everything... not saying it's outdated, just bad (imo).
Vibe

Postby Slayblaze » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:21 pm

I really like the graphics actually, especially with shadows and FXAA enabled. There is a lot more detail than you'd expect if you really examine things, although some things are better than others. The animation of the Stamp Mill is really really nice, for example, or zoom in and just watch a Cricket move around for a while. There is a lot more attention to detail than first meets the eye.

I was a tiny bit turned off by the graphics at first but the more time I've spent in Salem the more I like what I see. There are a few rough spots graphically, such as no water animation (so it looks like your moving in a glass surface instead of water) but I think the modeling itself is great. Most wood, stone, and metal textures are good and stand up to close scrutinization.

The 3D graphics in Salem have really grown on me, I don't see how anyone could think 2D is better unless they're half-blind or something. Seriously, make sure shadows are turned on because it does more than just add shadows it also adds an extra "gloss" layer or something like that, which makes a big improvement.
______
Slayblaze

Postby ErdTod » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:37 pm

Dang, logged in to check out the graphics with shadows and appeared to be on a snake who killed me = (
ErdTod

Previous

Return to City upon a Hill