Has anyone else read this SA forums thread about Salem?

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: Has anyone else read this SA forums thread about Salem?

Postby jorb » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:56 pm

Well, I'm not going to try to be defensive, but...

loftar has never developed a web server for any of our projects. He has developed one for his own personal amusement, however, which I believe he also uses for all of his hosting needs. :)

I can assure you that *we* have a very clear idea of what it is we are doing. :)
jorb

Postby baronbowden » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:22 pm

hopefully part of that is a redesign of the cash shop so we can have good reason to support a game we enjoy?;)
baronbowden

Postby jorb » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:25 pm

Redesign is a strong word, but there are definitely very active plans for providing more value in it. :)
jorb

Postby marvi » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:40 am

Did Koya steal Jorb account or...?
marvi

Postby ArvinJA » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:05 pm

I'm trying to clear up some of the confusion on SA, let's see if it works.

EDIT: Not going too well, mostly being ridiculed.
ArvinJA

Postby _Gunnar » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:14 pm

Is it just me or do they not seem to understand the H&H combat system *at all*? Seems like all they learnt to do was flex-punch???

Even without the abusive 0-def-while-moving in Haven multiple weaker characters was far stronger than 1 god character.

to clarify; the sqrt system for both the effectiveness of combat stats and their increasing costs (roughly stat^2) makes it favourable to create several less effective combat chars [EVEN BEFORE you think about awesome moves like evil eye / opp knocks /no pain no gain...].

Since there is the same system for effectiveness and cost of combat stats in Salem, the same should be true here.

However you need to pass a certain minimum stats to do things like break armour in H&H, and bash walls in both games. But if they are objecting to that, it seems like they don't want to put any effort in *at all*...
ImageImageImage
Darwoth wrote:tradewinds is gunnar
Brego wrote:***** STUPID GUNNAR!

great minds
_Gunnar

Postby ArvinJA » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:35 pm

_Gunnar wrote:Is it just me or do they not seem to understand the H&H combat system *at all*? Seems like all they learnt to do was flex-punch???

Even without the abusive 0-def-while-moving in Haven multiple weaker characters was far stronger than 1 god character.

to clarify; the sqrt system for both the effectiveness of combat stats and their increasing costs (roughly stat^2) makes it favourable to create several less effective combat chars [EVEN BEFORE you think about awesome moves like evil eye / opp knocks /no pain no gain...].

Since there is the same system for effectiveness and cost of combat stats in Salem, the same should be true here.

However you need to pass a certain minimum stats to do things like break armour in H&H, and bash walls in both games. But if they are objecting to that, it seems like they don't want to put any effort in *at all*...

Sadly, a lot of their critique comes from a place of ignorance, and frankly I don't know what to do about that other than try to enlighten them. I was not in many real fights in H&H but understanding that the system favored swarms was not that hard to grok. I don't know how to continue the discussio on SA tbh, it seems like sure, they have some valid points about Salem being grindy, but it seems like they are misinterpreting the game-play philosophy of Jorb and Loftar.
ArvinJA

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:45 pm

ArvinJA wrote:I was not in many real fights in H&H but understanding that the system favored swarms was not that hard to grok.

You'd think they'd fully grasp that concept from EVE.... Maybe it's been too many years since they were the Swarm.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby _Gunnar » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:08 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
ArvinJA wrote:I was not in many real fights in H&H but understanding that the system favored swarms was not that hard to grok.

You'd think they'd fully grasp that concept from EVE.... Maybe it's been too many years since they were the Swarm.

The way I was reading it, they want to be able to be the Swarm in salem, but for some reason they don't grasp that the game is set up perfectly for that...

tbh i think it is mainly a classic herd mentality.
ImageImageImage
Darwoth wrote:tradewinds is gunnar
Brego wrote:***** STUPID GUNNAR!

great minds
_Gunnar

Postby marvi » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:44 pm

Yep. Problem is definitely in them.
marvi

PreviousNext

Return to City upon a Hill