Qualms with Salem

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: Qualms with Salem

Postby Superiodity » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:38 pm

Having not played HnH how did it work out in that game?
Did most people just use custom clients or did the original client equal/surpass the custom clients and people reverted to using that?
Did everyone constantly complain for him to improve the original client or did most people not really mind?
Superiodity

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:54 pm

Here, the default client is actually usable (if you can get used to the camera). In HnH, the default client was so underdesigned it just wasn't usable. Players were hacking it from day 1 and when the source code was made available, nearly everyone jumped onto one of the third party clients. There's a few notable exceptions and stories done using JUST the default client.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby zeph2 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:39 am

MagicManICT wrote:Here, the default client is actually usable (if you can get used to the camera). In HnH, the default client was so underdesigned it just wasn't usable. Players were hacking it from day 1 and when the source code was made available, nearly everyone jumped onto one of the third party clients. There's a few notable exceptions and stories done using JUST the default client.

Yes I agree.. Honestly I couldn't get into HnH with its default client, I tried for a few weeks but gave in eventually figuring I would check back time for time to see if they made improvements to the client, and lag.. However, I really liked the concept of the game.. I said to myself back then why 2d? This game would look way so much better in 3d!! Honestly I'm kinda Happy there's Salem now and in 3d..

For me I think the client, and UI is the gateway the window to the game world... If the client is no good then the game world will reflect in the same fashion not cuz its not good just its not being viewed properly.. Its kinda like trying to drive an automobile with no mirrors, and where all the windows are painted over in black with little scratch view peep holes allowing you to partially see through, and the fuel light, and gauges do not work..

I understand we are not even released yet, and I am ok with this for now.... I do hope the client will be worked on eventually, and improved...
zeph2

Postby Dallane » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:48 am

zeph2 wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:Here, the default client is actually usable (if you can get used to the camera). In HnH, the default client was so underdesigned it just wasn't usable. Players were hacking it from day 1 and when the source code was made available, nearly everyone jumped onto one of the third party clients. There's a few notable exceptions and stories done using JUST the default client.

Yes I agree.. Honestly I couldn't get into HnH with its default client, I tried for a few weeks but gave in eventually figuring I would check back time for time to see if they made improvements to the client, and lag.. However, I really liked the concept of the game.. I said to myself back then why 2d? This game would look way so much better in 3d!! Honestly I'm kinda Happy there's Salem now and in 3d..

For me I think the client, and UI is the gateway the window to the game world... If the client is no good then the game world will reflect in the same fashion not cuz its not good just its not being viewed properly.. Its kinda like trying to drive an automobile with no mirrors, and where all the windows are painted over in black with little scratch view peep holes allowing you to partially see through, and the fuel light, and gauges do not work..

I understand we are not even released yet, and I am ok with this for now.... I do hope the client will be worked on eventually, and improved...

We have been told they are going to keep improving it
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Oddity » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:19 pm

Superiodity wrote:Having not played HnH how did it work out in that game?
Did most people just use custom clients or did the original client equal/surpass the custom clients and people reverted to using that?

H&H's default client is frozen in time. Using 3rd party clients has been the standard for everyone since at least mid-2010.
Let me know when it's H&H World 7.
Oddity

Postby Tonkyhonk » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:32 pm

http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/vie ... re+default
a thread like this getting popular might tell you the situation.
i dont remember seeing anyone complain though, people would use custom ones anyways.

btw, its not just loftar who gets to decide what he works on as his priority.
there are some pressures coming from the forums, irc chats, pms and all, and from paradox.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby FunForLife » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:55 pm

Tonkyhonk wrote:btw, its not just loftar who gets to decide what he works on as his priority.
there are some pressures coming from the forums, irc chats, pms and all, and from paradox.

All these Groups maybe told him to do a patch on the Camera of the Default-Client first, cuz noone uses it. Dont implement Content before the Cam is changed! :evil: Surely! ¦]
FunForLife

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:24 pm

Tonkyhonk wrote:btw, its not just loftar who gets to decide what he works on as his priority.
there are some pressures coming... from paradox.

That, there, is the important one. This is a lot of reason why some companies have always self-published. Down side to that is financing. Building games ain't cheap, especially if you need to hire outside talent. You also spend a ton of time running a game company instead of designing/building games, which is why so many would-be indie giants become a part of a larger publisher.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Steve » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:01 am

Superiodity wrote:Having not played HnH how did it work out in that game?
Did everyone constantly complain for him to improve the original client or did most people not really mind?

To use the default client in H&H would be akin to suicide. Beasts would aggro you before you could even see them, players would shoot arrows at you before you even knew that there was another player around. Night in H&H was so dark that you couldn't see a tree 2 meters in front of you and in the custom client is was daylight all night long and aggressive mobs had huge red warning cirles moving with the mobs.

You either used a 3rd party client (i.e. Enders when I played H&H) or you experienced permadeath.
Steve

Postby jorb » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:11 pm

It was en experiment. It's not as if it took him actual time to c0de a simple change to the zoom function. :)
jorb

PreviousNext

Return to City upon a Hill