Qualms with Salem

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: Qualms with Salem

Postby Superiodity » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:42 pm

On topic with the client (I think that was the original topic?)
I used it for 2-3 days and then found out about enders client and honestly I'd never be able to play the game without it since it's just so much better, my friend even said he wouldn't be playing the game if it wasn't for the ender client.

I see no reason why they should try to copy/beat the custom clients as if they are in competition with the creators, as long as people are playing this game with them and anyone can use them then what's the harm?
Superiodity

Postby FunForLife » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:46 pm

Superiodity wrote:I see no reason why they should try to copy/beat the custom clients as if they are in competition with the creators, as long as people are playing this game with them and anyone can use them then what's the harm?

True words! So he shouldn´t waste time in making his unplayable client little less suckin. Cuz we all have the tools to play his content, just missing more content.
FunForLife

Postby staxjax » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:14 pm

Because, believe it or not, people do use the default client. It is loftar's own client so why would he not want to make it better in his own vision? Honestly, I think the custom clients are a bit shoddy in the way they present the game. Loftar's client is better put together like a game should be...if it wasn't for the rotating camera I would probably use it, since I never leave my base and could live without a 'radar'.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby Shoi » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:56 pm

FunForLife wrote:
Superiodity wrote:I see no reason why they should try to copy/beat the custom clients as if they are in competition with the creators, as long as people are playing this game with them and anyone can use them then what's the harm?

True words! So he shouldn´t waste time in making his unplayable client little less suckin. Cuz we all have the tools to play his content, just missing more content.

You don't really get the fact that Loftar is doing this alone for one. And also, all the 'custom' clients are based off his coding and they still have many many issues themselves were Loftar's actually has less issues but is still under development. It's like many other games, the custom clients are not made from scratch, they themselves depend on the original coding with a few tid bits added. So if Loftar copied on of their's. It would be stealing first off, and the coding would change to were he'd have to deal with their bugs and tech issues rather then fixing the ones with the original and moving on to other parts of the game.

And as for your 'more' content. It's a sandbox game. It's ment for you to find and forge some of your own content, coming up with ideas and expressing them in the game. Sand box games generally don't have alot of end game save for PvP oriented things, which is probably on the way. I mean the ideas are countless, you could make you own fighting arena in the game, a trading post, or even a guild of bandits, heros, or noob protectors. People are doing these things and that's taking the game to a new level.

If you're standing around grinding, you need to sit back and think about what you're doing and maybe stop looking at Salem as a MMORPG like WoW, or GW and look at it as a creative MMORPG were you can do thing you could never do in the other MMORPG's. Get you're village to be like a city, a realistic community that relays on something, have them forge relations and have guards and maybe battle the village next door. Growing your area to be warmongering even. Or Peaceful which ever you choose.
Shoi

Postby Shedy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:23 pm

Shoi wrote:
FunForLife wrote:

You don't really get the fact that Loftar is doing this alone for one. And also, all the 'custom' clients are based off his coding and they still have many many issues themselves were Loftar's actually has less issues but is still under development. It's like many other games, the custom clients are not made from scratch, they themselves depend on the original coding with a few tid bits added. So if Loftar copied on of their's. It would be stealing first off, and the coding would change to were he'd have to deal with their bugs and tech issues rather then fixing the ones with the original and moving on to other parts of the game.

And as for your 'more' content. It's a sandbox game. It's ment for you to find and forge some of your own content, coming up with ideas and expressing them in the game. Sand box games generally don't have alot of end game save for PvP oriented things, which is probably on the way. I mean the ideas are countless, you could make you own fighting arena in the game, a trading post, or even a guild of bandits, heros, or noob protectors. People are doing these things and that's taking the game to a new level.

If you're standing around grinding, you need to sit back and think about what you're doing and maybe stop looking at Salem as a MMORPG like WoW, or GW and look at it as a creative MMORPG were you can do thing you could never do in the other MMORPG's. Get you're village to be like a city, a realistic community that relays on something, have them forge relations and have guards and maybe battle the village next door. Growing your area to be warmongering even. Or Peaceful which ever you choose.

Why don't we code the Game for our self if we have to make all the Work and think we are Indians or Cowboys? Those are just some few Guys that like this Rpg **** and those Guys won't let the Cash flow into this Game.
Permadeath is already a Rare Setup and its hard enough to get enough peoples to support this Game.
Shedy

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:33 pm

Shedy wrote:Permadeath is already a Rare Setup and its hard enough to get enough peoples to support this Game.

But it is going to become more and more common. Heck, even CCP is picking up on it with their new "World of Darkness" MMO coming out (date still TBA... like CCP ever does anything remotely close to a schedule, anyway)
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Shoi » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:17 pm

Shedy wrote:Why don't we code the Game for our self if we have to make all the Work and think we are Indians or Cowboys? Those are just some few Guys that like this Rpg **** and those Guys won't let the Cash flow into this Game.
Permadeath is already a Rare Setup and its hard enough to get enough peoples to support this Game.

I don't think you read my post very clearly. And Perma Death is becoming more common in many games. Even Minecraft has a setting for it now.
Shoi

Postby TeckXKnight » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:17 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
Shedy wrote:Permadeath is already a Rare Setup and its hard enough to get enough peoples to support this Game.

But it is going to become more and more common. Heck, even CCP is picking up on it with their new "World of Darkness" MMO coming out (date still TBA... like CCP ever does anything remotely close to a schedule, anyway)

It's still a difficult model to pull off well and most game developers aren't going to want to push into such unfamiliar territory. Even the WoD mmo is playing it as conservatively as they can by sticking purely to V:tM.
TeckXKnight

Postby FunForLife » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:39 pm

Shoi wrote:And as for your 'more' content. It's a sandbox game. It's ment for you to find and forge some of your own content, coming up with ideas and expressing them in the game. Sand box games generally don't have alot of end game save for PvP oriented things, which is probably on the way. I mean the ideas are countless, you could make you own fighting arena in the game, a trading post, or even a guild of bandits, heros, or noob protectors. People are doing these things and that's taking the game to a new level.

Oh, u didn´t get the point so far. I dont want him to make Quests for us or such ****. I just need around 100 more Buildings, 200 more Items, Purity on anything u can think of and so on... Make it possible to combine anything with anything and you have a real sandbox game. Thats what i call new Content!
Last edited by FunForLife on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FunForLife

Postby Superiodity » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:42 pm

I'd call that possible future content.
Superiodity

PreviousNext

Return to City upon a Hill