Hardcore MMOs in development

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: Hardcore MMOs in development

Postby DarkNacht » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:24 pm

Hahaha, Trials of Ascension does not look all that good. They think giving everyone 100 lives, letting you respawn with in 300 meters of your body after a whole 1 min, and preventing repeated KOs is hardcore perma-death. Also yet another full loot, except unlootable items system. And it has use based skill progression and some things can only be discovered by one person per server so expect people to bot the **** out of this game.
DarkNacht

Postby Inotdead » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:00 pm

DarkNacht wrote:Hahaha, Trials of Ascension does not look all that good. They think giving everyone 100 lives, letting you respawn with in 300 meters of your body after a whole 1 min, and preventing repeated KOs is hardcore perma-death. Also yet another full loot, except unlootable items system. And it has use based skill progression and some things can only be discovered by one person per server so expect people to bot the **** out of this game.

Eh, I didn't read much about that game, guess that summary I quoted here is somewhat misleading :oops:

It's funny how many sandbox games are in development these days, and yet none of them feature at least a real full loot system.
At least none that I know of.
Claeyt wrote: I'm not saying it's right or justified that they steal or sell drugs or murder cops I'm saying that that's exactly what you would do if you were poor and desperate and Black.
Inotdead

Postby NightBreed » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:09 am

Inotdead wrote:It's funny how many sandbox games are in development these days, and yet none of them feature at least a real full loot system.

That's it. A lot of games in development these days declare to be "hardcore-full-loot-sandbox-free-building-everything-you-ever-wanted-just-like-Ultima" - because it looks like more gamers are tired of WoW-like grinding crap and need hardcore again. These games come to Kick Starter and recieve a lot of bucks.

But when it comes to alpha/beta stage, we find out that it will be "not such hardcore" and some stupid rules ruin all concept.

There was another game with such features, but looks like it's stuck:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fo ... -prototype

Development team was changed, and looks like site is down.
NightBreed

Postby darnokpl » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:49 am

Inotdead wrote:It's funny how many sandbox games are in development these days, and yet none of them feature at least a real full loot system.

You should try Gloria Victis, they have interesting way to solve loot problem without people crying about loss too much :)
darnokpl

Postby NightBreed » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:01 am

darnokpl wrote:You should try Gloria Victis, they have interesting way to solve loot problem without people crying about loss too much :)

Can you share more details, please?

I just checked their "Features" section, but still found nothing about it.

Edit: Nevermind, found it in FAQ.
Last edited by NightBreed on Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
NightBreed

Postby Inotdead » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:27 am

darnokpl wrote:You should try Gloria Victis, they have interesting way to solve loot problem without people crying about loss too much :)

AFAIK it's the same limited loot system, is it not?
I won't mind if it has some good solutions, I simply hate it when the death of the character feels meaningless.
Claeyt wrote: I'm not saying it's right or justified that they steal or sell drugs or murder cops I'm saying that that's exactly what you would do if you were poor and desperate and Black.
Inotdead

Postby NightBreed » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:47 am

In this system, player won't have the time to loot everything of a fallen opponent and will need to choose what is worth looting, because the time needed to loot everything will be much longer than the time to respawn.

Okay...

Even the victim itself will be able to limit the looting, by using appropriate blessings, improvements or marking of items.

WTF?

A player character can only be looted by the person who finished off or rendered the character unconscious. If the character was finished off by a different player than the one who made them unconscious, only the player who finished off can loot the body. (It can be added, so it is impossible to loot a character that was killed by a mob. Then players won't be able to lure the mobs on someone and loot their body.)

Nothing to see here, move on.
NightBreed

Postby darnokpl » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:16 am

NightBreed wrote:
A player character can only be looted by the person who finished off or rendered the character unconscious. If the character was finished off by a different player than the one who made them unconscious, only the player who finished off can loot the body. (It can be added, so it is impossible to loot a character that was killed by a mob. Then players won't be able to lure the mobs on someone and loot their body.)

Nothing to see here, move on.

And why do you think this is wrong in any way?
It is against griefers, and after group vs group combat you should be able to pick items only from people you killed not your friends or random guys :)
darnokpl

Postby NightBreed » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:42 am

darnokpl wrote:And why do you think this is wrong in any way?
It is against griefers, and after group vs group combat you should be able to pick items only from people you killed not your friends or random guys :)

Just becase i see the main goal of hardcore gameplay in making game more realistic. And when i see such rules - i just don't want to play by them.

Yes, i understand, that many players want gameplay to be more comfortable: no grief, no troll, no backstab, no such occasions when you're looting dungeon, getting hit by some mob - and in this moment some lucky n00b approaches, finish you by one hit and takes all your stuff and loot. Your reaction:

But this is it - real life hard luck.

I was such lucky n00b once - found a body of skilled guy, who was unlucky with a wolf pack.
NightBreed

Postby darnokpl » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:19 pm

True this is not realistic, but from what I've seen people are not complaining about that :)
darnokpl

PreviousNext

Return to City upon a Hill