Love is in the Air

A forum for Store-based announcements.

Re: Love is in the Air

Postby Lusewing » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:13 pm

I would love a few more skirts in the game - and a bunch of flowers as a hand held item (while also in inspratnal) would also be great ^.^

This was a lot of fun to make, and i plan on trying a few more Salem sculpts in the future. Maybe one day Mortal Moments will give us Salem bobble heads, or plushies. I think it would be a lot of fun to have a plushy Darwoth that when squeezed would call me a 'noob' or say 'Don't hug me you carebear' :lol:
Do not argue with idiots, for they will pull you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Lusewing

Postby Kandarim » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:41 pm

Working on my piece now - it won't be the 3d art I pictured originally, but i should be able to finish this one before the deadline :)
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby JohnCarver » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:48 pm

We can probably get more skirts in the game similar to highlanders kilts. I will investigate.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Kandarim » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:56 pm

Please don't investigate skirts too closely.
Or get Marp to take pictures.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby Lusewing » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:24 pm

Kandarim wrote:Please don't investigate skirts too closely.
Or get Marp to take pictures.

I have never wanted a 'thumbs up' option for a post so much :lol:
Do not argue with idiots, for they will pull you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Lusewing

Postby Darwoth » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:40 pm

Lusewing wrote: I think it would be a lot of fun to have a plushy Darwoth that when squeezed would call me a 'noob' or say 'Don't hug me you carebear' :lol:

yes please
Darwoth

Postby Icon » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:41 pm

I want a Belgear bobblehead with a hole where the mouth is... you know, so I can blow hits into it. yeah thats it, blow hits in it
Icon

Postby Dallane » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:46 pm

I want a life size your tears mug.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Kandarim » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:48 pm

Writing is not my forte, but it was all I could find time/motivation for.
Too bad it's not quite the level of Marp's fanfic, but hey. I tried.
Warning: long build-up. Not the end you are expecting. Valentine salem-style.

1. Shelter
Well, ****.

I suppose that you are familiar with the moment of absolute clarity when you figure out the inescapable truth of exactly how bad you have screwed things up.
Accompanying this realization is the utter certainty that you should have seen it coming but did not.
That everyone else did, and just neglected to tell you.
Waiting just around the corner to laugh at your mistakes.
To take advantage of them.

The hunting had been particularily nice the last couple of days.
I was grateful it had been: a storm had interrupted the prolonged hunting trip I had planned in order to stock up for the coming cold snap.
I was able to shoot a deer and two beavers before being forced to take shelter in an underground cave for several days.
The freezing cold chilled me to my core, but at least it had stopped my meat from spoiling: I had hardly been able to cure the meat in the downpour.

The thunder that reached me in the dark spoke of a monumental battle dance between the lightning and the maple trees.
At one time I was sure that the entrance to my cave had been closed off, such a racket bouldered down the corridor.
Thankfully, when I scampered up frantically to check my only possible escape, it was clear.
A quick glimpse outside showed me a maple blazing tree, blasted asunder by the impact of God's finger.
As if it had somehow managed to specifically capture the Lord's eye with its arrogant pose on the top of the hill.
A shudder went through me as I considered that my fate was hardly to be better if I managed to get His attention.

2. Homecoming
After what seemed like more than a forthnight, but must actually have been a single night, the storm abated.
I ventured a look outside, and was rewarded with the blessed feeling of a tentative ray of sunlight on my face.
So I set out again, pulling the sled with my haul behind me.

As I crested the final hill, my hermitage came into view.
The storm had not spared it either: my lock had obviously become lose, as the wooden gate clattered against the stone hedge I had built to discourage trespassers.
I would have to replace it, I supposed, but then there was like to be a lot of work around my place after such a deluge.
Closing the gate behind me, I couldn't notice any damage to the lock, or anything to explain why it may have gotten loose.
Weird.

At least it seemed that my cart had, miraculously, survived the storm well.
Delighted, I went down to make sure of the knots tying it.
Something nagged at the edge of my consciousness, though, and I must admit that it took me rather too long to notice that it was not mine.
The make was all wrong, and the planks were of a type of wood that I did not recognise.
The gate lock had not been broken after all!
Someone had unlocked it and simply been too negligent to close it.

All the while cursing myself, I hurried to check the braziers I had built for such a scenario.
Two seasons ago I had spent several fortnights building braziers wherever they would fit.
Aside from the obvious defensive capabilities, the braziers also provided a nice comfortable warmth.

And then it hit me.
In a particularily pleasant mood with the prospect of the hunting trip, I had lighted all my braziers the night before I left.
And I had stupidly forgot to put them out.

So.

3. Trespasser
Noone has ever ventured to call me brave.
But the thought of a stranger trespassing my property was more than adequate to kindle my rage.
The careless absence of the concern for a closed gate hardly boded well for my guest.
What kind of monster leaves a gate wide open like that?
I cursed myself for not buying a set of those new springs that were on sale during my last trip to Providence.
Well, no helping that - I should focus on the matter at hand.

I made sure to check that my gunpowder horn had remained dry during the storm, and thankfully it had.
After finishing to load my rifle, I called out loud and clear.

"I was given these lands by the grace of His Majesty. Come out now and I will not kill you, as is my lawful right to do!"

"Don't shoot, don't shoot!" an out-of-place voice cried out.
I had painted a mental picture of a rough beaver-poacher taking shelter in my home.
As far as I was concerned, I would have shot him anyhow.
It's a tough world, and all that.
Yet that was MY home.

"I'm coming out. Please don't kill me!", it rang.
The woman that shuffled out with her arms raised over her head gave me pause.
This was hardly the cutthroat raider I had imagined.
How could I ever have thought to hurt her?
Yet she HAD been squatting in my hovel.

"Who are you, and why are you here?"

"My name is Lizzie. I am sorry, but I was travelling south on the lake when the storm hit.
This was the only shelter I could see for miles around," she clarified.

Recognition dawned.
"Lizzie? Lisbeth Maudney? Is that you?"

"How do you know that name?"
My naming her had obviously put her on edge.

"Do you not remember me?
My name is Tarpolomeus.
My parents lived next door yours!"

"Tarpy Marpy? My, you have grown!
Am I glad to see you!
You will allow me to stay here a bit, won't you?"

"Of course! You must tell me why you have left Providence, though."

There is a difference between looking and seeing.
It was perhaps a testament to my own state of mind that it took me that long to notice her clothing.
"What happened to your clothes?"

"What about my clothes?" she asked curiously.
It seemed that she only noticed the tattered state of her dress because I pointed it out to her.

"It looks like they were thrown of the Providence cliffs!" I jested.

"Why would anyone do that?"

I was at a loss of words with the matter-of-factness that accompanied those words, but I put it down to the shock of the events that had recently transpired.

"Let's go in and get warmed up. Then we'll talk."

4. Reconciliation
I had lived alone for a long time.
Far too long: I had grown accustomed to the tools of my trade being strewn all about the room.
But when the fairy doll caught my eye as I entered, I panicked slightly.
Most of the objects in sight could easily be mistaken for everyday tools: near everyone had a cauldron, and the broom was a common sight in any household.
I hoped Lizzie would look at the doll collection and simply see the eccentricity of a long-time hermit.
No well-meaning pilgrim would know a children's doll from a fragility doll, or notice the difference between a madsquirrels charm and a native dreamcatcher.
Yet Lizzie managed to dash all of my hopes with a single exclamation.

"Is that a pentacle inscribed in your silver bowl?", she asked me.

I was about to respond in the negative, but right then the glint in her eyes caught mine.
She was toying with me!
If she knew what a pentacle was, she had probably identified all of my other implements as well.

"Do you know how eerily close you got with your remark earlier?
My clothes did get thrown off the cliffs in Providence.
Only, I was still in them.
The townsfolk found me out, and I let them believe they managed to kill me.
That way, everyone is better off."

I was still struggling with the revelation that little Lizzie was a witch herself, but then her words reached through the daze.
"You managed to pull off a weight charm? Just like that?
That's amazing!"

"Why thank you! But I had quite a bit of time to prepare. For all their zeal, the people in Providence are not exactly the swiftest ducks in the pond."

"Still, a weight charm is an incredible piece of witchery! I don't think I would be able to pull it off!"

5. Ending
We conferred over the specifics of the charm for a bit before we both caught ourselves looking deep into eachother's eyes.

"So. How do we continue from here?"
Lisbeth was the one that spoke the words, but they mirrored my thoughts exactly.

The words caught in my throat as she took the initiative before I had the chance to do anything.
Her kiss took my breath away, and then some.
I could feel SOMETHING draining out of me as her lips lingered on mine.

Darkness crept slowly from the corners of my vision.
As it slowly clouded my whole world, I remembered a tale my mentor had once told me.
Of how the witch queen drained the life out of witches to prolong her own life.
At the time I had simply dismissed it as a tale to keep me in line.
A way to instill some fear in much the same way hydrukeys and argopelters kept small children in check.

My final sight -- the last thing my eyes ever were to see -- was a set of bright green eyes ominously burning in the encroaching darkness.

And in the hopes that this will be counted in the same submission:

TLDR, a poem
Booming and crashing, burning and bashing.
Rainstorms flashing; tree limbs trashing.
Pilgrims hiding, biding, abiding.
Returning home; all the while chiding.

Strangers to friends to companions
inadmissable becomes unanticipated becomes desireable
fables to fears to menace
green becomes black becomes quiet
Kandarim
Customer

Postby Cerise » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:26 am

Wow! That is very good storytelling!
Cerise

PreviousNext

Return to Store Updates & Competitions