Salem Loyalty Appreciation Stuffz

A forum for Store-based announcements.

Re: Salem Loyalty Appreciation Stuffz

Postby Nektaris » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:49 pm

iamah wrote:I'm thinking shining things, auras, things that make the character shine in the crowd...

- character auras
- speed mounts that can only be used in providence (white unicorn, giant cat, speedy turtle, flying super hero cape, flying carpet)
- unique emoticons or TF2-like Actions with sounds and whatnot

exclusive animations and sounds you could unlock in the store, they give no advantage but still make for a lot of fun while in Providence... those little MMO parties that happen in the cities would become much nicer to watch and participate :D

Completely out of lore. Salem is inspired from anglo-american and kinda gothic traditions and Tim Burton settings and mood (Nightmare before Christmas).
oleanna wrote:It's a part of the game. Stealing stuff with larceny or with brain is a way like an other !
Nektaris

Postby Kandarim » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:05 pm

yes, a golden top-hat is definitely in-lore.
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby iamah » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:14 pm

oh boy, I forgot how "hardcore" Salemites are, nevermind that suggestion... keep adding golden gooses and wishpooshes for lore sake
iamah

Postby Nektaris » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:23 pm

Kandarim wrote:yes, a golden top-hat is definitely in-lore.

iamah wrote:oh boy, I forgot how "hardcore" Salemites are, nevermind that suggestion... keep adding golden gooses and wishpooshes for lore sake

I think you both need to understand the difference between lore and reality.
oleanna wrote:It's a part of the game. Stealing stuff with larceny or with brain is a way like an other !
Nektaris

Postby Lusewing » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:34 pm

What Nektaris is trying to explain is that something like a Wishpoosh or golden top hat is in keeping with the myths, legends and clothing of the time period and setting Salem is taking place in. There is a lot of creative freedom in the setting, which is good, but adding things that are too out of place will just make the world feel like a mishmash of tropes like many MMO's today.
Do not argue with idiots, for they will pull you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Lusewing

Postby Kandarim » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:28 pm

which is, in my opinion, already the case for the golden tophat. The golden geese and wishpoosh are perfect though, fits in with the monster hunting theme.
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby iamah » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:59 pm

I understand perfectly you want a fitting theme, tho this strictness strikes me as a "no fun allowed" mentality one can stretch here and there to fit their fancy... Bunny Darko Mask ? oh, that's ok... that other thing no... whatever, the prices are a bit high for my currency anyways, I wouldn't be able to buy that much...
iamah

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:14 pm

That was jorbs, I think, and has been in as long as the March Hare. Besides, isn't Lewis Carrol or Cthulu a bit "too new" for a 17th century setting?

I think the lore is more about folk lore monsters with a bit of obscurity and low fantasy rather than the typical "elves and dragons" high fantasy. From what I can tell, the whimsical and down right scary both could have a place here, even if the reference is to a recent movie or a fable from 500+ years ago. Throughout development with Seatribe, Salem never aimed to be historically accurate, and I wouldn't expect it now, either, either with Mortal Moments.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby DarkNacht » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:02 am

Something can be anachronistic but still fit the feel of the game, white unicorn, giant cat, speedy turtle, flying super hero cape, flying carpet would just be too silly, the gold top hats are silly enough. Besides this is Salem if we are going to add absurd random garbage to the game it should be jorbs **** monster.
DarkNacht

Postby Scilly_guy » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:18 am

So there were quite a few suggestions that I felt sounded a bit too pay to win, I have faith that JC wouldn't do that but why do people think of suggesting it. Anyway, I don't usually buy stuff so my opinion probably doesn't count for much. As for stuff fitting in, I'm with Kandarim on that hat.
Scilly_guy

PreviousNext

Return to Store Updates & Competitions