April 19th EXTENDED Downtime

For Announcements of Hotfixes and Server Downtime. Check here first if the Server is down.

April 19th EXTENDED Downtime

Postby JohnCarver » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:15 am

Bad news,

Somebody decided to do something that the server was not expecting while being constricted by a Questzalcoatl. Because of this they managed to put their character in an awkward 'state'. Because at the point of crashing there is a character who appears to be in a 'state' in which the server doesn't like to recognize it has 'crashed' while exporting all the data to be rebooted. The 'problem' with this type of thing is when the server crashes during the 'terminate' functions all the 'data' at the point of crash goes into limbo. I am then left with two options.

#1: Restore the integrity of the data (typically comparatively time consuming and difficult)

#2: Do a character and map tile restore from backups (rolling back all characters and maps 2-6 hours).

I hate to do it given that we were having record breaking population numbers, HOWEVER, I do think it is the best thing that we wait until business hours tomorrow (~8 hours) and allow the integrity of the data to be salvaged. If for any reason I am able to get it up and running before that I will certainly let you know but for now that seems to be the state of things.

As always, we are down for 8+ hours I will see about post-mastering y'all a gift for the downtime.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Re: April 19th EXTENDED Downtime

Postby Rubberduckbandit » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:17 am

Take the entire day if you need, Salem is like a nice fine silky smooth lady, and this down time is her slipping into something nice, but she is taking her time doing it, yeah that's definitely it.
Rubberduckbandit

Postby Michael » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:19 am

JohnCarver wrote:Bad news,

Somebody decided to do something that the server was not expecting while being constricted by a Questzalcoatl. Because of this they managed to put their character in an awkward 'state'. Because at the point of crashing there is a character who appears to be in a 'state' in which the server doesn't like to recognize it has 'crashed' while exporting all the data to be rebooted. The 'problem' with this type of thing is when the server crashes during the 'terminate' functions all the 'data' at the point of crash goes into limbo. I am then left with two options.

#1: Restore the integrity of the data (typically comparatively time consuming and difficult)

#2: Do a character and map tile restore from backups (rolling back all characters and maps 2-6 hours).

I hate to do it given that we were having record breaking population numbers, HOWEVER, I do think it is the best thing that we wait until business hours tomorrow (~8 hours) and allow the integrity of the data to be salvaged. If for any reason I am able to get it up and running before that I will certainly let you know but for now that seems to be the state of things.

As always, we are down for 8+ hours I will see about post-mastering y'all a gift for the downtime.

#3 WIPE PROVIDENCE SERVER
Michael

Postby trungdle » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:57 am

Rubberduckbandit wrote:Take the entire day if you need, Salem is like a nice fine silky smooth lady, and this down time is her slipping into something nice, but she is taking her time doing it, yeah that's definitely it.

Dammit I knew I shouldn't date Salem the momment she said she likes shopping. Waiting sucks man.
You thought I quit.
trungdle

Postby Thor » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:14 am

Aye, take your time instead.
saltmummy wrote:You sad sad little man, my heart weeps for you. Better not go outside or your thin, tissue paper like skin might spontaneously rupture while your fragile sensibilities violently shatter spraying salt and urine all over the street.
Thor

Postby sephiroth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:19 am

I think a wipe would help bring in more players snd maybe dome olds ones back. I know people who would play if u were planning to wipe
sephiroth

Postby JohnCarver » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:21 am

sephiroth wrote:I think a wipe would help bring in more players snd maybe dome olds ones back. I know people who would play if u were planning to wipe

There is no planned wipe. There will most certainly NOT be a wipe simply to attract a bunch of quitters to come back who quit in the first, all so that they can quit again when the server is a few months old while the true veterans and playerbase are forced to 'start over' to appease some flavor of the month gamers.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby trungdle » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:22 am

sephiroth wrote:I think a wipe would help bring in more players snd maybe dome olds ones back. I know people who would play if u were planning to wipe

That vision have been denied times and times again. I would say they are very clear on that.
You thought I quit.
trungdle

Postby Stoner » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:14 am

JohnCarver wrote:
There is no planned wipe. There will most certainly NOT be a wipe simply to attract a bunch of quitters to come back who quit in the first, all so that they can quit again when the server is a few months old while the true veterans and playerbase are forced to 'start over' to appease some flavor of the month gamers.

This is good to hear. I know many who would only come back for a few months get bored and leave screwing over the community they are with (or the town they own).
Good to hear you guys have constant backups to just roll back too. There is alot to be said about MM for that reason.
Last Chance Gaming

ts120.light-speed.com:8311
Stoner

Postby Nikixos » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:30 am

JohnCarver wrote:There is no planned wipe. There will most certainly NOT be a wipe simply to attract a bunch of quitters to come back who quit in the first, all so that they can quit again when the server is a few months old while the true veterans and playerbase are forced to 'start over' to appease some flavor of the month gamers.

I lol'd because that's what H&H 've been doing.
Wipes And quiters = Expeditions, tybye
Image Image
Nikixos

Next

Return to Hotfix Announcements