Relax on new players

Forum for In-Game politics, relations, matters of justice, and other in-game topics.

Relax on new players

Postby campercamper » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:59 pm

I keep trying to get groups of people to join the game but what filters 99% of them out is something so basic. They don't know the mechanics of the game so it takes a little time of messing around. The first thing for any experienced player is to be ready for the cold. You got a LOT of people getting frozen right away when coldsnap comes. Or is already there. They don't have a chance to learn the game. I feel this is a major barrier for new players. Having it removed or changed so that it really only effects humours would be a great idea but that doesn't matter any more because the devs are gone.
campercamper

Re: Relax on new players

Postby Chrumps » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:13 pm

Man, cold is so much easier now. It used to suck even more and it took full year to get basic updates to make holding torch, holding warm stones and standing near a fireplace to remove cold effects.
Chrumps

Postby Taipion » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:48 pm

- You can carry 2 lit torches and run around naked in the coldest of coldsnaps
- You can craft basic gear without even leaving the tutorial area
- You can craft more gear (crowfeather cape, frontiermans duster) within minutes of walking around gathering stuff (dried timber rattler hides in stumps, crow feathers from crows)

How to make cloths while still in tutorial area:
- learn whittling for spinning tops (best TnN)
- learn patchwork & rags (basic cloths)
- learn weaving (gets you 2 woven reeds instead of 1 when weaving reeds)
- learn acute tree harvesting for novice toolbelts
- gather myrtle oak leaves -> craft toolbelts -> make rags from toolbelts -> as many rags as you need to craft all the newbie cloths (rags also count as fibres)
- make cloths (jute pants/shirt/cap)
- use your starter cloths as coat (fits coat and shirt slot) after making a shirt
- for shoes, just collect autumn grass for hay for haybale shoes, there's enough in the tutorial area (mostly southern part)

There's a very comprehensive wiki, there are people to ask, and even without that it's not all that difficult,
if you fail coping with the temperature mechanics already, you are better off not playing Salem.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby campercamper » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:49 pm

Taipion wrote:- You can carry 2 lit torches and run around naked in the coldest of coldsnaps
- You can craft basic gear without even leaving the tutorial area
- You can craft more gear (crowfeather cape, frontiermans duster) within minutes of walking around gathering stuff (dried timber rattler hides in stumps, crow feathers from crows)

How to make cloths while still in tutorial area:
- learn whittling for spinning tops (best TnN)
- learn patchwork & rags (basic cloths)
- learn weaving (gets you 2 woven reeds instead of 1 when weaving reeds)
- learn acute tree harvesting for novice toolbelts
- gather myrtle oak leaves -> craft toolbelts -> make rags from toolbelts -> as many rags as you need to craft all the newbie cloths (rags also count as fibres)
- make cloths (jute pants/shirt/cap)
- use your starter cloths as coat (fits coat and shirt slot) after making a shirt
- for shoes, just collect autumn grass for hay for haybale shoes, there's enough in the tutorial area (mostly southern part)

There's a very comprehensive wiki, there are people to ask, and even without that it's not all that difficult,
if you fail coping with the temperature mechanics already, you are better off not playing Salem.

Im talking about new players who are starting to try this gamw out. Don't look at how easier it has gotten. Look at how a lot of people leave in the first 3 hours of playing just because of something so small. Yeah you can say because of that they wouldn't be able to cope with anything else that is hard. But hyperthermia with the way it is isnt hard its just annoying and unecessary.
campercamper

Postby Amnezia88 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:04 pm

campercamper wrote:stuff

Isnt, or better, wasnt this game all about discovery? Finding things out on your own through trial and error, testing things?
What Im trying to say is that people who come here (new) and expect the game to hold their hand (like all the other games do these days :x ) are in for a big surprise, or actual none because they're incapable of figuring things out on their own. Sad, many such cases.

So you get hypothermia as a new player. What does a player that's looking for a challenge do? He will try everything to discover what is needed to defeat the cold, either by browsing the forums, browsing the skillbars and checking what he might need, might even try to ask some people that you see in town, we have a goddamn wiki that chews everything out for you. You solve the problem at hand and you move on to the next mystery.

A player that isnt capable of this and leaves within 3 hours is a player that doesnt belong in a game like this, you'll run into alot more problems and difficulties than hypothermia, you'll be a ragequitter in the making. The tutorial you get when you make a new character is more than enough..maybe even too much. It's a hardcore mmo and I do pray it stays that way
..probably will since devs are awol
Nobody is innocent, there are merely varying levels of guilt.
Amnezia88
Customer

Postby Ronch » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:09 pm

I felt the same way as you did Camper, when I first started playing the game as a solo player fresh to all this awesome game has to offer determined players.

Basically, I'ma going to tell ya the same thing that was told to me when I raised this issue on these forums a week or two after I began playing.
I rejected all of the polite and logical replies, even resented them at first.

The core logic of those replies could all be summed-up into one phrase for me now.
It's harsh, the reply is harsh but honest, logical, and the reality when boiled down:

The game isn't for everyone, it's harsh that's for sure. ;)
Reviresco wrote:I log into this game and have fun.
Ronch

Postby Taipion » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:42 pm

campercamper wrote:Im talking about new players who are starting to try this gamw out. Don't look at how easier it has gotten. Look at how a lot of people leave in the first 3 hours of playing just because of something so small. Yeah you can say because of that they wouldn't be able to cope with anything else that is hard. But hyperthermia with the way it is isnt hard its just annoying and unecessary.

About EVE, the devs said once: "EVE is not meant to look like a dark, harsh world, EVE is meant to be a dark, harsh world".

Salem is, after all, imbalanced raiding or not, an open world sandbox mmo with open pvp, open loot and permadeath,
nothing you "own" is perfectly safe at any time anywhere in the game, and there are many ways to die permanently, and people who will help with that if you don't manage to do it yourself,
and it would be wrong to give a false impression early on, the game already looks too much like a happy little farmville (unless you look closely at your chars face^^).

About hypothermia mechanics, and also madness mechanics:
Yes, they are not perfect, they lack depth and meaning in some parts, and they could be much, much better with a little more thought to it, but they serve their purpose.

If any, the game should offer more things to kill you within the first few days of your Salem-experience, which would make that feeling all the better if you manage to survive through all that.
Yea, more don't starve in Salem would be good, but there is a huge problem in implementing things that make it harsh on newbies within their first few days without breaking the game for more experienced players or simply adding more mindless chores.

TL;DR:
If you quit after 3h of Salem due to freezing to death,
hypothermia did a perfect job at what it's meant to do.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Chrumps » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:45 pm

Yeah, In case you did not get message in the above posts, this clip should help you understanding what fun in Salem is meant to be.
Chrumps

Postby campercamper » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:27 am

Lol some people got angry. I already predicted that a lot of this would be said. Im trying to say several players I tried to introduce to the game are a little touchy when first starting like any other new player. Im trying to say what I have found is that a lot of players I introduced didn't want to get into it because of hyperthermia freezing their character instead of a humour hit. Meaning you gotta go through the character creation and tutorial you just did all over again. Filtering this person out from playing. They might come back later like A LOT of people do but it causes this main issue. probably why there are mostly vets here. Whoever left the "im new" comment. Ive been playing off and on since 2012 im trying to point out how such a little part of this game is filtering out new players by a good deal. Ones that would deal with the bs that comes later and a good number wouldnt quit over their character dying. Its literally one little thing that could be changed to help revive this game a tiny bit.
campercamper

Postby Amnezia88 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:09 am

If only there was a way for these new players to find out what to do.
It doesn't have to be that hard.
Nobody is innocent, there are merely varying levels of guilt.
Amnezia88
Customer

Next

Return to House of Burgesses