The web weaves many theories

Forum for In-Game politics, relations, matters of justice, and other in-game topics.

The web weaves many theories

Postby rodneymillerpca » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:25 pm

Greetings,
During the long voyage to Providence I read up on Salem. On the web there are many theories that are not true.
1)It is hard to establish a homestead. FALSE Took me only a few hours to earn enough to purchase a Writ of Homesteading from Benjamin Bryberry.
2)It is hard for a new colonist to make money. FALSE I average about 50 coins an hour just foraging. Now add in a career like hunting, fishing, mining, farming, cooking, and so on you really got it made.
3)It is hard to understand the skills, proficiencies, artifacts, and inspirationals. FALSE If you need the help reading is fundamental down on the homestead. http://salemwiki.info/index.php/Main_Page
4) You can go nuts in in a new Colony. TRUE
Image
Youth are our best investment. Invest in them wisely to yield the best return.
rodneymillerpca
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:43 am

Re: The web weaves many theories

Postby Ronch » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:58 pm

Agreed 100%, and more too.
I picked up the game over a year ago, but didn't start playing it back then because of what I "heard" about the game.
When I did finally start playing a month ago, none of the stuff that I "heard" was even remotely true about this charming game.

I think a lot of negative publicity is because it is or was an independently developed game, and the powers that be in the industry don't like the idea of independence in any shape or form. Those powers that be are willing to go as far as paying folks to hype or publish negative (lies) reviews about this awesome game.

It's a cruel World, but it is charming game's like Salem that folks can play and get lost in for a few hours at a time that makes the ugly parts of our real World bearable/tolerable. :D
Reviresco wrote:I log into this game and have fun.
User avatar
Ronch
 
Posts: 438
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:46 am

Re: The web weaves many theories

Postby MaxPlanck » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:03 pm

I'm sorry but reading the wiki in lack of understanding doesn't make it not hard to understand the game as a newbie. It is quite the opposite and makes the newbies stay newbies because they get carried by the wiki and eventually turn into carebears who can't think for themselves when it comes to new innovating ideas regarding game mechanics and strategems.

It is also the reason why towns who have many ppl don't actually know the game at all except for the few things they are tasked/interested in from whence they join and sorry to say but a jigsaw puzzle weakly joined together by the fact that they "fit" will fall apart much faster than a masterwork of art drawn in whole and in one piece.
User avatar
MaxPlanck
Customer
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 3:20 pm

Re: The web weaves many theories

Postby Dallane » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:06 pm

Ronch wrote:I think a lot of negative publicity is because it is or was an independently developed game, and the powers that be in the industry don't like the idea of independence in any shape or form. Those powers that be are willing to go as far as paying folks to hype or publish negative (lies) about this awesome game.


That is total crap. This game was once under Paradox. Salem is a extremely niche game that has almost no instant rewards and many harsh penalties with lessons to be learned. There is a bit of trial and error along with researching mechanics. Most people don't enjoy things like this at all. I don't think the game has had any true media exposure in the last 3-4 years.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
User avatar
Dallane
Moderator
 
Posts: 15029
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:00 pm

Re: The web weaves many theories

Postby Ronch » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:13 pm

Dallane wrote:That is total crap. This game was once under Paradox. Salem is a extremely niche game that has almost no instant rewards and many harsh penalties with lessons to be learned. There is a bit of trial and error along with researching mechanics. Most people don't enjoy things like this at all. I don't think the game has had any true media exposure in the last 3-4 years.

Although your point about the game falling into a specific niche category is correct and on target.... you are quite naive about the motivation behind the game's negative hype.
(which is what this thread's subject is about BTW) ---> negative hype about this game.
Reviresco wrote:I log into this game and have fun.
User avatar
Ronch
 
Posts: 438
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:46 am

Re: The web weaves many theories

Postby Nsuidara » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:02 pm

Dallane wrote:I don't think the game has had any true media exposure in the last 3-4 years.

https://clips.twitch.tv/JazzyObeseNightingaleKAPOW
\(*o*)\ Praying in the JC Church may reduce the time for update /(*o*)/

Marketplace APP
Calculator Sets
Shop by Nsuidara
User avatar
Nsuidara
Customer
 
Posts: 1971
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:50 pm
Location: Poland

Re: The web weaves many theories

Postby rodneymillerpca » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:50 am

Ronch wrote:
Dallane wrote:That is total crap. This game was once under Paradox. Salem is a extremely niche game that has almost no instant rewards and many harsh penalties with lessons to be learned. There is a bit of trial and error along with researching mechanics. Most people don't enjoy things like this at all. I don't think the game has had any true media exposure in the last 3-4 years.

Although your point about the game falling into a specific niche category is correct and on target.... you are quite naive about the motivation behind the game's negative hype.
(which is what this thread's subject is about BTW) ---> negative hype about this game.


Both very good points. I oddly have three Paradox titles I am very attached too. I had no idea until reading a few old posts here they are or where involved. Trial and error are a big part as well. Correct on the topic negative hype. I have read a bit. I wanted to post about here so if someone was interested it would correct that hype. I also wanted to add a bit nutty twist. :lol:
Youth are our best investment. Invest in them wisely to yield the best return.
rodneymillerpca
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:43 am

Re: The web weaves many theories

Postby gustavohvg » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:45 am

This game is more difficult than 99,9% of the games that more than 300 people plays.

This alone should be a point to simplify some new-player mechanics
Main char: Alcabitus
User avatar
gustavohvg
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:46 am
Location: Brazil


Return to House of Burgesses

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests