EASTER RIDDLE HUNT!

Forum for In-Game politics, relations, matters of justice, and other in-game topics.

Re: EASTER RIDDLE HUNT!

Postby MaxPlanck » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:42 pm

Only reason I decided to put face in the dross instead of egg shell for that was cause you added the word "ugly" , oh well. ¦]
User avatar
MaxPlanck
Customer
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 3:20 pm

Re: EASTER RIDDLE HUNT!

Postby grapefruitv » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:27 pm

I would argue that torch should count as a correct answer, since 1. every other light providing item gives more than just sight and 2. "useful as being destroyed" is continuous time and it is best applied to burning of a torch than anything else listed, 3. though the "base" of a torch is not being destroyed, I would say that process of fuel burning could be compared to destruction figuratively, it is not any more metaphorical than calling honey gold.
User avatar
grapefruitv
 
Posts: 543
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:53 am

Re: EASTER RIDDLE HUNT!

Postby Heffernan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:29 pm

grapefruitv wrote:I would argue that torch should count as a correct answer, since 1. every other light providing item gives more than just sight and 2. "useful as being destroyed" is continuous time and it is best applied to burning of a torch than anything else listed, 3. though the "base" of a torch is not being destroyed, I would say that process of fuel burning could be compared to destruction figuratively, it is not any more metaphorical than calling honey gold.


but you cant destroy a torchpost and it cant be destroyed only run out of fuel.
User avatar
Heffernan
Top 10 Quarter
 
Posts: 7320
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:07 pm
Location: Marps Closet

Re: EASTER RIDDLE HUNT!

Postby grapefruitv » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:40 pm

Heffernan wrote:but you cant destroy a torchpost and it cant be destroyed only run out of fuel.

Can't melt honey into a gold bar either, can you? That's why I said figuratively :)
Or net/sifting pan as a tool that is not whole is not literal, since there is no such thing as "whole net", but it is correct.
None of the correct answers fit to this riddle 100% perfectly either, as fire starting things not only give you sight, they provide a "functional" kind of fire, i.e. heat, and candle is an inspirational, so it is again much more than just sight. All the correct answers are a compromise to the literal understanding of the riddles to some point, so I don't see why torch can't count as a correct answer, if sifting pan, egg shell or other stuff can.
User avatar
grapefruitv
 
Posts: 543
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:53 am

Re: EASTER RIDDLE HUNT!

Postby MarpTarpton » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:43 pm

grapefruitv wrote:I would argue that torch should count as a correct answer, since 1. every other light providing item gives more than just sight and 2. "useful as being destroyed" is continuous time and it is best applied to burning of a torch than anything else listed, 3. though the "base" of a torch is not being destroyed, I would say that process of fuel burning could be compared to destruction figuratively, it is not any more metaphorical than calling honey gold.


I disagree. After I was getting so many wrong answers I did my best to be very generous with the variants. Torches take fuel which is effectively destroyed but torches do not get destroyed, even figuratively, in their use, unlike the other options listed. You do not repair a torch to continue using it, you refill it. So, although a torch is useful as its fuel is being destroyed, that is the difference I chose to stick with.
Procne wrote: Devs have again proven that they dont give a crap about untalented and lazy players.
User avatar
MarpTarpton
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1061
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:32 am

Re: EASTER RIDDLE HUNT!

Postby Heffernan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:44 pm

grapefruitv wrote:
Heffernan wrote:but you cant destroy a torchpost and it cant be destroyed only run out of fuel.

Can't melt honey into a gold bar either, can you? That's why I said figuratively :)
Or net/sifting pan as a tool that is not whole is not literal, since there is no such thing as "whole net", but it is correct.
None of the correct answers fit to this riddle 100% perfectly either, as fire starting things not only give you sight, they provide a "functional" kind of fire, i.e. heat, and candle is an inspirational, so it is again much more than just sight. All the correct answers are a compromise to the literal understanding of the riddles to some point, so I don't see why torch can't count as a correct answer, if sifting pan, egg shell or other stuff can.


but honey is often referred as "golden Syrup" thats what marp was on about.
User avatar
Heffernan
Top 10 Quarter
 
Posts: 7320
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:07 pm
Location: Marps Closet

Re: EASTER RIDDLE HUNT!

Postby MarpTarpton » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:45 pm

Also, tangible does not mean "functional" and in this case, I meant things that are physically existent.
Procne wrote: Devs have again proven that they dont give a crap about untalented and lazy players.
User avatar
MarpTarpton
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1061
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:32 am

Re: EASTER RIDDLE HUNT!

Postby pestilence123 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:08 pm

This is strange that bloom works as an answer and dross no. Dross is incomplete, fragile (irl it is very fragile and friable) and ugly. Also dross absolutely nuisance, because you get it instead of bar, and the only option for dross is to use it as fertilizer. But bloom can be forged to wrought iron and no one uses it as a fertilizer.
pestilence123
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:15 pm

Re: EASTER RIDDLE HUNT!

Postby Reviresco » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:11 pm

Yay!

The only thing greater than this event was the winner! :D

Kidding, of course.

Also, ink-dipped quill is an extremely clever answer (I chose kite).
User avatar
Reviresco
 
Posts: 1194
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:49 pm

Re: EASTER RIDDLE HUNT!

Postby MarpTarpton » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:21 pm

pestilence123 wrote:This is strange that bloom works as an answer and dross no. Dross is incomplete, fragile (irl it is very fragile and friable) and ugly. Also dross absolutely nuisance, because you get it instead of bar, and the only option for dross is to use it as fertilizer. But bloom can be forged to wrought iron and no one uses it as a fertilizer.


Dross doesn't count because it's not "incomplete". When you have dross, it's done - a complete byproduct. Also, dross is not always fragile. Depending on how much of it you have, you either have a brittle flakey piece or a large rock-sized chunk that's similar to stone. However, it was really because dross is not "incomplete" that I could not count it as correct. Unlike dross, bloom really is incomplete and is only ever in the process of either becoming dross or becoming wrought iron literally as soon as it is birthed into existence. It is fragile (vulnerable, easily destroyed) because of its ephemeral nature - one wrong move and you've ruined it as, of course, no one sets off to make bloom intending to turn it into dross.
Procne wrote: Devs have again proven that they dont give a crap about untalented and lazy players.
User avatar
MarpTarpton
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1061
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:32 am

PreviousNext

Return to House of Burgesses

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests