Restart

Forum for In-Game politics, relations, matters of justice, and other in-game topics.

Re: Restart

Postby Trenial » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:10 pm

lachlaan wrote:
DarkNacht wrote:H&G takes a little more forethought and purity goods but Marchhares stuffed with purity bark and purity Ghost rider masks make it a cake walk.

H&G probably got such a huge bump in variety of inspirationals you can use. But only to add another nice one to the mix, argo beaks all the way! And if you're in a sticky enough situation already, hooves are pretty nice too.

Edit : I highly suggest using the inspirational table on the neutral wiki, the new efficiency guide is great for sorting out priorities when studying :)

My breakdown was the balance of time spent grinding one prof over another. I do not think H&G needs a buff, but rather some things need nerfed. Context was entirely on the basis that someone posited "all too easy noa, cry".
jwhitehorn wrote:It's too bad you're so politically connected
you would have made a great brave

TENT WIDTH

This area, is my area. No squatting allowed.
Trenial

Postby JohnCarver » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:32 pm

It seems silly for us to balance inspirationals while they can still wildly fluctuate based on which has which purity. Once we get purity off Inspirationals it should be much easier to make sure each professions is better balanced to each other.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Trenial » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:37 pm

JohnCarver wrote:It seems silly for us to balance inspirationals while they can still wildly fluctuate based on which has which purity. Once we get purity off Inspirationals it should be much easier to make sure each professions is better balanced to each other.

Exactly John, I did not mean to say you did someting and messed it up. I merely made an argument on the gtrounds that the game is by no means easier, and is a bit rough because things still needed fine tuning, which will come later down the road.
jwhitehorn wrote:It's too bad you're so politically connected
you would have made a great brave

TENT WIDTH

This area, is my area. No squatting allowed.
Trenial

Postby RonPaulFTW » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:43 am

JohnCarver wrote:It seems silly for us to balance inspirationals while they can still wildly fluctuate based on which has which purity. Once we get purity off Inspirationals it should be much easier to make sure each professions is better balanced to each other.

Will there be a replacement - or more inspirationals to make up the difference? Or do you think some of us have gotten too high in certain skills?
RonPaulFTW

Postby JohnCarver » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:03 am

RonPaulFTW wrote:
Will there be a replacement - or more inspirationals to make up the difference? Or do you think some of us have gotten too high in certain skills?

I am not particularly discouraged with the power curve of player prof or humors at the moment. I feel that the values acheived based on the active time of that account logged into the server are proportional and fairly close to what I would like to see. We will be adding new inspirationals with every patch, not necessarily because we feel the system demands it, but more-so because we just think new inspirationals are fun. The issue with purity on some inspirationals and not others is more of a problem where some high level skills require significantly less 'inspirational diversity'. We would like to make sure that players pushing the 'hundreds' are forced to gather at least 4-6 inspirationals per point and are not simply spamming some 90% locket or two.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby RonPaulFTW » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:13 am

Lockets are interesting bc they do require lots of initial effort and then are a highly inefficient inspiration when you want a particular skill.

I do think M&M would need several other replacements - some of the other locket profs too
RonPaulFTW

Postby JohnCarver » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:21 am

RonPaulFTW wrote:Lockets are interesting bc they do require lots of initial effort and then are a highly inefficient inspiration when you want a particular skill.

I do think M&M would need several other replacements - some of the other locket profs too

Yes,
We are quite aware that there are several holes in some prof. We are trying to make sure that when we add some nice higher level insp with each profession we tackle. I feel H&G is a lot less of a challenge after the last patch and with the next patch we should have the chef added and will be dropping in a fair number of new S&S inspirationals as well.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Tamasin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:31 am

This seems like a good time to voice my unhappiness over removing purity from inspirationals. While I agree that things like 90% lockets are no good, I feel that overall pure inspirationals add a lot of fun and enjoyment and as things are now, it's really only those that come from high pure mines that are a problem. I really like pure inspirationals! It's pretty cool finding something like an 8% smooth stone spawn outside the base, but the best thing is the ones that I can make myself. It increases the fun and satisfaction of the purity grind. As my tree purity has risen, it hasn't only been the more pure food I've been looking forward to- I've really enjoyed making pure bonsais, game boards, decorative woodcarvings etc. Yesterday someone was looking for cotton with purity matching his march hare hides. I like stuff like that.

Pure inspirationals are a cool part of the game in my opinion and i'll be sad to see them go. I understand that as purity changes in the future, more kinds of inspirationals may become so pure it's bad, like lockets. But do you really have to take it away altogether? Have you considered alternative solutions like maybe diminishing returns as purity increases? I'm also curious about what will happen to inspirationals which are also food, like ghost riders and devil's wort etc.
Tamasin
Customer

Postby DarkNacht » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:35 am

Tamasin wrote:This seems like a good time to voice my unhappiness over removing purity from inspirationals. While I agree that things like 90% lockets are no good, I feel that overall pure inspirationals add a lot of fun and enjoyment and as things are now, it's really only those that come from high pure mines that are a problem. I really like pure inspirationals! It's pretty cool finding something like an 8% smooth stone spawn outside the base, but the best thing is the ones that I can make myself. It increases the fun and satisfaction of the purity grind. As my tree purity has risen, it hasn't only been the more pure food I've been looking forward to- I've really enjoyed making pure bonsais, game boards, decorative woodcarvings etc. Yesterday someone was looking for cotton with purity matching his march hare hides. I like stuff like that.

Pure inspirationals are a cool part of the game in my opinion and i'll be sad to see them go. I understand that as purity changes in the future, more kinds of inspirationals may become so pure it's bad, like lockets. But do you really have to take it away altogether? Have you considered alternative solutions like maybe diminishing returns as purity increases? I'm also curious about what will happen to inspirationals which are also food, like ghost riders and devil's wort etc.

I agree, I like being able to find/make higher purity inspirationals with a little extra work. The bigger problem seems to be that metal purity breaks everything it touches.
DarkNacht

Postby JohnCarver » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:52 am

There are just too many items that are used to make inspirationals, or that we wish to have inspiration gain to them, that do not have a purity grind attached to them. We do not want a system where you do not use, want, or seek out an inspiration simply because there is no purity grind associated with that object. We also have no intention of adding purity and a purity system to every object in the game.

When considering these facts above its becomes quite clear there is no compromise to the situation that doesn't leave it in a broken state. Surely we wish we could come up with fun unique purity grinds for the thousands of items in the game. We also wish we had the time and resources to come up with fun and unique purity grinds for the thousands of more items we wish to add to the game. IN the end though, the burden of being handcuffed to adding things simply because 'we don't have a way to add purity on item XYZ yet' is not something we accept. We also don't accept adding items that have no purity and 'dealing with a system for them later'. The beetle is a perfect example. A last minute thing we decided to throw in the game which we really like. If purity on inspirationals was a thing instead of adding that in on the final days of development the process would have been:

*How do you get purity on the Grub?
*Should the purity of the grub transfer to the Beetle?
*Should you feed the beetle to give him purity like a worm?
*How fast does that beetle need to eat?
*Would anybody actually go through the work to raise the purity on this beetle?
*How can you retain the purity on future beetles once you study the most pure beetle? Should they spawn to keep the purity of the beetle going?

Again, its not that there wouldn't be a way. There just isn't a way with our current resources that I can justify the next 6 months finding creative ways to keep purity on ever little inspirational that in the end will most likely still be unbalanced anyway as players find the 'purity system' that is most easily exploited and just push those inspirationals anyway.

In conclusion, we feel the game has, and will have, more than enough clever ways for you to advance and maximize items. Having the ability to add a new inspirational every week without the headaches described above is just too important to us to burden this system with what we feel is an unnecessary complication.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to House of Burgesses