Restart

Forum for In-Game politics, relations, matters of justice, and other in-game topics.

Re: Restart

Postby Darwoth » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:07 am

game is going themepark, has been since it was acquired by the new folks. ride out the final days of the game you enjoyed and settle old scores while it lasts because it will soon be unrecognizable. however if like most here you enjoy kiddie titles like runescape, conquer etc then fret not as you will probably enjoy the new version better as it continues to be dumbed down in order to cater to morons and zergs.
Darwoth

Postby Tamasin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:09 am

JohnCarver wrote:There are just too many items that are used to make inspirationals, or that we wish to have inspiration gain to them, that do not have a purity grind attached to them. We do not want a system where you do not use, want, or seek out an inspiration simply because there is no purity grind associated with that object. We also have no intention of adding purity and a purity system to every object in the game.

When considering these facts above its becomes quite clear there is no compromise to the situation that doesn't leave it in a broken state. Surely we wish we could come up with fun unique purity grinds for the thousands of items in the game. We also wish we had the time and resources to come up with fun and unique purity grinds for the thousands of more items we wish to add to the game. IN the end though, the burden of being handcuffed to adding things simply because 'we don't have a way to add purity on item XYZ yet' is not something we accept. We also don't accept adding items that have no purity and 'dealing with a system for them later'. The beetle is a perfect example. A last minute thing we decided to throw in the game which we really like. If purity on inspirationals was a thing instead of adding that in on the final days of development the process would have been:

*How do you get purity on the Grub?
*Should the purity of the grub transfer to the Beetle?
*Should you feed the beetle to give him purity like a worm?
*How fast does that beetle need to eat?
*Would anybody actually go through the work to raise the purity on this beetle?
*How can you retain the purity on future beetles once you study the most pure beetle? Should they spawn to keep the purity of the beetle going?

Again, its not that there wouldn't be a way. There just isn't a way with our current resources that I can justify the next 6 months finding creative ways to keep purity on ever little inspirational that in the end will most likely still be unbalanced anyway as players find the 'purity system' that is most easily exploited and just push those inspirationals anyway.

In conclusion, we feel the game has, and will have, more than enough clever ways for you to advance and maximize items. Having the ability to add a new inspirational every week without the headaches described above is just too important to us to burden this system with what we feel is an unnecessary complication.

Thankyou for explaining. I guess I'll just go cry. The grubs and beetles are really cool.
Tamasin
Customer

Postby Trenial » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:38 am

Darwoth wrote:game is going themepark, has been since it was acquired by the new folks. ride out the final days of the game you enjoyed and settle old scores while it lasts because it will soon be unrecognizable. however if like most here you enjoy kiddie titles like runescape, conquer etc then fret not as you will probably enjoy the new version better as it continues to be dumbed down in order to cater to morons and zergs.

We'll be happy to accomadate you in Realm Zero, Darwoth. ¦]

All the sandbox Ultima you can handle.

Until December, lets enjoy our theme park why we still got it.
jwhitehorn wrote:It's too bad you're so politically connected
you would have made a great brave

TENT WIDTH

This area, is my area. No squatting allowed.
Trenial

Postby Darwoth » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:46 am

well you told me you were going to give me a test/alpha account but never did, send me details if you get around to it.
Darwoth

Postby jesi » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:13 am

Darwoth wrote:game is going themepark, has been since it was acquired by the new folks. ride out the final days of the game you enjoyed and settle old scores while it lasts because it will soon be unrecognizable. however if like most here you enjoy kiddie titles like runescape, conquer etc then fret not as you will probably enjoy the new version better as it continues to be dumbed down in order to cater to morons and zergs.

I agree with this. The game is becoming all about random drops a la Runescape or any of a gazillion other kiddie titles. That and the ability to study an inspirational multiple times without a significant enough penalty, combined with the potion system and the ease of raising silver, has really dumbed down the proficiency raising mini-game.
aptson wrote:
when i make posts on the forums i expect people to spell it out for me because i am new . .
jesi

Postby Trenial » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:29 am

Darwoth wrote:well you told me you were going to give me a test/alpha account but never did, send me details if you get around to it.

I'll PM you instructions as to not provoke the Meow.
jwhitehorn wrote:It's too bad you're so politically connected
you would have made a great brave

TENT WIDTH

This area, is my area. No squatting allowed.
Trenial

Postby ImpalerWrG » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:57 am

JohnCarver wrote:Surely we wish we could come up with fun unique purity grinds for the thousands of items in the game. We also wish we had the time and resources to come up with fun and unique purity grinds for the thousands of more items we wish to add to the game. IN the end though, the burden of being handcuffed to adding things simply because 'we don't have a way to add purity on item XYZ yet' is not something we accept. We also don't accept adding items that have no purity and 'dealing with a system for them later'.

I'm quite glad to hear that purity is coming off Curios (btw why dose everyone call them Inspirationals, Inspiration is what is consumed when you use them, the complete opposite of what the word Inspirational means).

My hope is that we get a handful of profession specific mini-games that allow us to make 'better' items with better being expressed in different ways for different item classes, the farming system with it's crop tiers is the best system so far, because it has the best encapsulation of it's complexity. A farmer has to know about influence raising, crop rotation, growing phases of pumpkins etc etc. All I need to know as a buyer is Oat < Rye|Barley < Wheat. Imagine a Carpentry system or a Metal smiting or Cooking system that were each just a deep but still unique and able to scratch the crafting itch for many different players.

Purity and the earlier H&H system of quality was terrible on encapsulation because it just piped input numbers to output numbers, not only did it take no craft specific knowledge on the part of the player, but it was also responsible for driving all grinding backwards into the input source to the point where controlling the best clay pit or water source meant all your stuff was superior.

That you see purity as a design straitjacket is very encouraging, I would encourage you too look at how to replace Purity on food with something more food specific and which has a better interaction with Gluttony mini-game then the current across the board multiplier on bile points. Expanding the Variable food effects looks to have potential.
ImpalerWrG

Postby alagar » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:38 am

ImpalerWrG wrote:
JohnCarver wrote:Surely we wish we could come up with fun unique purity grinds for the thousands of items in the game. We also wish we had the time and resources to come up with fun and unique purity grinds for the thousands of more items we wish to add to the game. IN the end though, the burden of being handcuffed to adding things simply because 'we don't have a way to add purity on item XYZ yet' is not something we accept. We also don't accept adding items that have no purity and 'dealing with a system for them later'.

I'm quite glad to hear that purity is coming off Curios (btw why dose everyone call them Inspirationals, Inspiration is what is consumed when you use them, the complete opposite of what the word Inspirational means).

Because this is not havem? Also crafft > inspirationals.
REMOVE STALLS!
alagar

Previous

Return to House of Burgesses