Should we have Decay on Tools and Clothing?

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Should Decay be implemented and how?

I think decay is a bad idea.
43%
I like decay on tools that causes them to become less effective when they 'break' and can be repaired.
10%
I like decay on tools that causes them to wear out as they are used and eventually disappear.
3%
I like decay on tools and clothing that causes them to become less effective when they 'break' and can be repaired.
18%
I like decay on tools and clothing that causes them to wear out as they are used and disappear, where 'use' for clothing means I'm logged on and wearing them.
0%
I like decay on tools and clothing that causes them to wear out as they are used and disappear, where 'use' for clothing means decay ticks taken only when I'm digging, chopping, being stabbed, etc.
26%

Total votes : 241

Re: Should we have Decay on Tools and Clothing?

Postby alloin » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:59 pm

JohnCarver wrote:What I am curious about and would like to see discussed is how you feel this all plays out when contrasted to fishing. Fishing poles wear out and have done so for awhile now. Do you feel this system would be horrible if implemented against other things? If so, should fishing poles have their wear removed? We are blessed by the fact that we do have at least one item already functioning in this nature and can look to that to see just how much we like or dislike that particular system.

The fishing pole is a perfect example of an estimate time on the wear on other tools.

I think it's perfect, except the fact you cannot repair it.
jorb wrote:all I see is misplaced machismo and a lot of very cheap talk. ^^

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

Postby Banok » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:48 pm

if you keep the current clothing system where alot of the best clothes must be bought with real money then clothing decay will be rather amusing.

But personally I would recomend that you take a leaf from TF2, and make all hats non combat items and purely cosmetic. then you can sell non craftable cosmetic hats with infinite durability, but make all combat related clothing craftable.
Banok

Postby Feone » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:58 pm

JohnCarver wrote:What I am curious about and would like to see discussed is how you feel this all plays out when contrasted to fishing. Fishing poles wear out and have done so for awhile now. Do you feel this system would be horrible if implemented against other things? If so, should fishing poles have their wear removed? We are blessed by the fact that we do have at least one item already functioning in this nature and can look to that to see just how much we like or dislike that particular system.

I detest the current fishing system.

Mostly how time consuming it is, along with the annoying rock-paper-scissor system.
Fishtraps are much more practical.

I avoid using fishing gear due to it's total annoyingness. Bit hard to say how much of a factor the wear is.
Feone

Postby Voltaire1512 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:06 pm

Feone wrote:I detest the current fishing system.

Mostly how time consuming it is, along with the annoying rock-paper-scissor system.
Fishtraps are much more practical.

What he said.
Voltaire1512

Postby Dallane » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:06 pm

Long as they don't break as fast as fishing poles. Even with a decent skill lvl you will go through a rod in a hour.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Jack » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:57 pm

I like the idea of items decaying with use. In most games, once you buy armor or clothes, that's it. There's no market anymore for that item because of the indestructibility of said garb.But with degradation through use, as is natural in the real world, items will need replacing, no matter how epic or pure they are. This means everyone will have to craft or know a craftsman to make them goods. Someone kills your talented craftsman friend? Say good bye to the snazzy equipment they whipped up for you once it wears out. What will you wear now? This makes murder even more heinous.

And it is on that note, I disapprove of
JohnCarver wrote:smelt[ing] tools back down and rag[ging] clothes into better goods.
I feel this would further entice players focusing on murder to steal the clothes off a dead man's back to see what riches lay within the fresh folds of starting gear.
Jack

Postby Ikpeip » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:07 am

Good evening,

I'm not certain on the decay, and in most things, the method of implementation would be crucial.

We do however need some sort of sink for tools and clothing - otherwise the constantly increasing supply will eventually saturate the market and destroy those economies.

Faithfully,

-PmP
Ikpeip

Postby Blood » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:37 am

For the Fishing tools maybe keep it a bit more realistic in terms of decay such as the basic rod atm should break alot faster because tbh its a bloody stick your using to catch sharks with :/. Thus when making higher level rods the wear goes down drastically depending on the quality of the materials used, its never sat well to me that i used iron bars and cloth to make a rod that has a very similar wear to a makeshift rod the effort for the materials vs wear doesn't balance out here. I can make a few dozen makeshifts before having iron and still last longer then making 1 normal rod.

I'll also add when you look into fishing perhaps look at upgrading the rowboat or letting us build one of those big ass ships in the docks to use as a home to go fishing out into deep sea to catch large amount of deep sea fishes.
Blood

Postby Brona » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:52 am

Blood wrote: letting us build one of those big ass ships in the docks

yes please
Brona

Postby RonPaulFTW » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:22 am

Brona wrote:
Blood wrote: letting us build one of those big ass ships in the docks

yes please

I talked about that here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9191
RonPaulFTW

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements