Should we have Decay on Tools and Clothing?

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Should Decay be implemented and how?

I think decay is a bad idea.
43%
I like decay on tools that causes them to become less effective when they 'break' and can be repaired.
10%
I like decay on tools that causes them to wear out as they are used and eventually disappear.
3%
I like decay on tools and clothing that causes them to become less effective when they 'break' and can be repaired.
18%
I like decay on tools and clothing that causes them to wear out as they are used and disappear, where 'use' for clothing means I'm logged on and wearing them.
0%
I like decay on tools and clothing that causes them to wear out as they are used and disappear, where 'use' for clothing means decay ticks taken only when I'm digging, chopping, being stabbed, etc.
26%

Total votes : 241

Re: Should we have Decay on Tools and Clothing?

Postby Blood » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:30 am

RonPaulFTW wrote:
Brona wrote:
Blood wrote: letting us build one of those big ass ships in the docks

yes please

I talked about that here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9191

Yep i knew i read something like that before, your idea sounded great, makes me miss 1602.
Blood

Postby Scilly_guy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:03 pm

I haven't read the whole thread, only the first few pages, and I imagine this comment will get lost anyway, but for what its worth, I would support a mechanic that would only see a tool disappear after a long life (or lots of use by a low level character), and much like what Loftar said, but where they are still useable at 0%, for instance you can still use your 0% repaired metal axe but it will only be as good as a flint axe.
Scilly_guy

Postby Frakked » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:17 am

Decay will only add to grind.

Only PVP gear will be noticeable as a possible positive in game. Axe breaks... make another... shovel, pike, rod, etc... no big deal... but if your PVP gear breaks in PVP... you might be screwed. And the hassle of making the 'perfect' gear makes certain you can't replace it quickly... certainly not in combat.

While I voted decay is bad... even in RL- cloth loses its durability over time. Tool just need occasional maintenance. (Sharpened, etc.) Cloth, any cloth, fades, becomes 'holy', etc...

I think cloth gear should decay with use, require replacement, or lose it's bonuses just like fishing rod. Cloth shouldn't be repairable... and/or perhaps it should require patching by an Artisan (mechanic yet to be introduced)... while tools should have a much bigger durability rate.
Frakked

Postby Bearcub » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:58 pm

Frakked wrote:Decay will only add to grind.

Only PVP gear will be noticeable as a possible positive in game. Axe breaks... make another... shovel, pike, rod, etc... no big deal... but if your PVP gear breaks in PVP... you might be screwed. And the hassle of making the 'perfect' gear makes certain you can't replace it quickly... certainly not in combat.

While I voted decay is bad... even in RL- cloth loses its durability over time. Tool just need occasional maintenance. (Sharpened, etc.) Cloth, any cloth, fades, becomes 'holy', etc...

I think cloth gear should decay with use, require replacement, or lose it's bonuses just like fishing rod. Cloth shouldn't be repairable... and/or perhaps it should require patching by an Artisan (mechanic yet to be introduced)... while tools should have a much bigger durability rate.

No idea why people keep talking about real life.
If are talking about market, then of course the main focus on decay of tools (resmelting/repairing) cause sharpening more looks as a buff (like sharpen it before choping a couple dozens of trees). I don't believe that tools or clothes should lose its durability (I mean that it'd be impossible to repair it completely) and let it possible to e.g. repair admiral's uniform with another piece of sea-island close (whether it's just a sea-island cloth or something else, that's made of it).
I even see perspective of re-using those broken slots (a lot of people would stop slotting a new stuff after the first slot is broken) so instead of rags we could get 1-3 pieces after unpicking admiral's uniform.
Trade is the first step to the diplomacy.
Diplomacy is a tool for unification.
Then be honest with your customers to make new bonds!
Bearcub

Postby nonsonogiucas » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:46 pm

Bearcub wrote:If are talking about market, then of course the main focus on decay of tools (resmelting/repairing) cause sharpening more looks as a buff (like sharpen it before choping a couple dozens of trees).

When you put it this way it seems just an issue about names...
You could have a hatchet that when new is 100% efficient and broken is 40%, or you could have a hatchet that "normal" is 40% efficient and sharpened is 100%. It is practically the same item, just different names, in the first example the skill is "repair" in the second is "enhance".

I'm totally ok replacing this whole discussion with one about "possibility to enhance items". However that would probably also involve a global debuff of all items to compensate for the enhancing... again, same mechanic, different names.
I was lucky...
nonsonogiucas

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:58 am

I can name games where 100% of items are destructible and people are loath to move the most valuable from the place where they purchased them for this reason. Who wants to risk six months to a years work on one bad RNG?
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby alagar » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:03 am

Well, i was thinking, and since i'm a jew and love to trade most of my things, it will be better for me for the market and player interation people in need of new tools every time.

DO ET!!!!!!!
REMOVE STALLS!
alagar

Postby TeckXKnight » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:54 am

I'm of the opinion that tedious jobs are, in the long run, not fun. The first few times you deal with an item wearing out it's fine but when you're dealing with any sort of long term play, such as with an mmo, it becomes a chore which you garner no meaningful play experience from. When you tack on chores to accomplish every little task it becomes tedious. When lighting a fire involves making a dozen tinder drills, it's not fun. The same issue arises with all other tools for jobs. Replacing my wood cutting axe constantly is just a drain and the more I have to do that, the less I will feel like doing anything else.

Neither the economy nor the player are enriched through this mechanic, so what are you trying to accomplish with it?
TeckXKnight

Postby Procne » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:15 am

It might be ok if it was done in some fun, imaginative way.

I think the question asked here is wrong. It shouldn't be "should we have item decay", but "What do we want to achieve through item decay and how can we do it in a fun way". And it should be a question raised and answered by game designers.
Procne

Postby alloin » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:40 am

I only see people complain who never achieved endgame in Salem,
always the same excuse, THE GRIND THE GRIND THE GRIND !!! While they have never had a grind in the first place.
(Making tinder drills is a grind?????? ARE YOU ***** SERIOUS???)
Same people that think making an Axe in this game is ***** heavy endgame grind !!!

Have those people realised this game is NOTHING for them ?

Neither the economy nor the player are enriched through this mechanic, so what are you trying to accomplish with it?

- An itemsink, a moneysink and a storagespacesink
- It would make people make a choice of equipping their perfect set or not
- It would (not totally) stop endgame player from killing new players (since losing x% on my perfect set is not worth a 5/5/5/5 kill)
- It would make other items or people who are focussed on the 'repairing-skill' have a meaning
- It would keep softcore-themepark-players like you away from this game
- It could be a reason for people to buy (more) certain items from the cashshop
- It's a way to make more interaction between players
- It's better for the economy
- much much more...
jorb wrote:all I see is misplaced machismo and a lot of very cheap talk. ^^

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements