Should we have Decay on Tools and Clothing?

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Should Decay be implemented and how?

I think decay is a bad idea.
43%
I like decay on tools that causes them to become less effective when they 'break' and can be repaired.
10%
I like decay on tools that causes them to wear out as they are used and eventually disappear.
3%
I like decay on tools and clothing that causes them to become less effective when they 'break' and can be repaired.
18%
I like decay on tools and clothing that causes them to wear out as they are used and disappear, where 'use' for clothing means I'm logged on and wearing them.
0%
I like decay on tools and clothing that causes them to wear out as they are used and disappear, where 'use' for clothing means decay ticks taken only when I'm digging, chopping, being stabbed, etc.
26%

Total votes : 241

Re: Should we have Decay on Tools and Clothing?

Postby nonsonogiucas » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:30 pm

Whenever someone talks about purity he seems to imply that higher purity should translate in a boost to every single attribute of an item.

I don't think that is absolute necessary. I will go as far as saying that it is not even always desirable.

Say item A has 3 different attributes, like speed, durability, rare drop chance for example.
If purity linearly ups all those 3 then it is no more than a "level" on the item, a purity 30 item is absolutely better than a purity 10. In this case there isn't much variety, there is no reason to use a purity 10 if you can afford a 30, so the main goal of the game easily turns into becoming able to afford the highest purity possible. And that in turn could turn into a grinding situation.

If instead purity affects the various attributes in different ways, so maybe it raises drop chance while lowering durability or the reverse, then you can easily see how:
1) there is more variety in what item A can accomplish, and variety is fun
2) it is likely that you will end up with different versions of item A to use in different situations, and more choices is generally also fun
3) you can't no more compare versions of item A in an absolute way, it is even likely that low purity item A would still remain a desirable choice for most mundane tasks

For example, when talking about durability of Axes, I would have the unpure version be the most durable or the most balanced one. A pure Axe could be a lot faster but also break sooner, or maybe have a higher chance of dropping cross shaped spliters while being slower (maybe even different effects based on purity element).
I was lucky...
nonsonogiucas

Postby Voltaire1512 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:34 pm

Icon wrote:How often irl do you have to "repair your axe?". I've been using the same one for over a decade and that ***** still hits like a champ.

That`s of course right. But for the purpose of this game I support that things wear down and disappear. I just would love to get rid of "breaking" stuff. Tinder Drills.
Voltaire1512

Postby Dallane » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:51 pm

Icon wrote:Well ***** it, may as well add in toothbrushes and shoelaces too, how bout an ass scratch meter that has to be tended too? Personally I think every 4 days I should have to craft a nail trimmer to trim my characters toenails, then it can decay and I have to make another one because its fun...

How often irl do you have to "repair your axe?". I've been using the same one for over a decade and that ***** still hits like a champ.

I've had to replace handles just due to rot or heavy use every few years.

I like having purity and decay on tools because once you make one its there forever. There is no market to improve the quality or make another unless someone else wants it. That drives the trade down to where ONLY iron has value and nothing else. Its boring 100%.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Icon » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:10 pm

I'm more opposed to decay on clothes than tools. Tools are easy to make, would just be annoying to have to stop to repair all the time. If we were going in a direction like that I would prefer to see tools with artiface slots for minor bonuses, +2 tree chopping, +1 purity to all items foraged, that kind of thing. Something to raise the value of the item than to make it worse and have to restore it.

Edit: keep in mind alot of us in this thread right now have been here over a year waiting on content that went deeper than pretty water and a hat pocket. Now here we are discussing more grind with no added content (no matter how slight a grind it may be). I would like to see addition rather than subtraction right now
Icon

Postby alloin » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:18 pm

Icon wrote:Well ***** it, may as well add in toothbrushes and shoelaces too, how bout an ass scratch meter that has to be tended too? Personally I think every 4 days I should have to craft a nail trimmer to trim my characters toenails, then it can decay and I have to make another one because its fun...

Would love all these things ingame, makes total sence for a game!

Icon wrote:How often irl do you have to "repair your axe?". I've been using the same one for over a decade and that ***** still hits like a champ.

I'm sure you haven't chopped over 100 tree's & 1000's of boards with your 'Aluminium' Axe. (referring to your 10 year marriage with it, not the material it's made of)

What does real life has to do with any of these suggestions anyway ?
Last edited by alloin on Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jorb wrote:all I see is misplaced machismo and a lot of very cheap talk. ^^

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

Postby Dallane » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:18 pm

Icon wrote:I'm more opposed to decay on clothes than tools. Tools are easy to make, would just be annoying to have to stop to repair all the time. If we were going in a direction like that I would prefer to see tools with artiface slots for minor bonuses, +2 tree chopping, +1 purity to all items foraged, that kind of thing. Something to raise the value of the item than to make it worse and have to restore it.

You are making bad decisions based on a mechanic that doesn't exist. Where did they say its going to break all the time?
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Procne » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:26 pm

Are you seriously using "realism" arguments for a gameplay mechanics in Salem? ^^
Procne

Postby TotalyMeow » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:49 pm

Just to clarify a bit, tools were going to wear out fairly slowly. We would be balancing it until we have a situation where the market doesn't get flooded with tools that no one wants.

Clothes decaying would happen slowly as well. Raiders can get a 'perfect' set of gear in a matter of several months. If that gear then irreparably decays in a matter of several months, they'll always have something to do to keep their clothing top of the line.

This isn't saying we don't intend to have clothes and tools reparable at all. Perhaps it will be possible to repair a set number of times, and if you have a high T&N repairing your clothes or a high S&E repairing your tools, you get more durability back.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby jesi » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:57 pm

TotalyMeow wrote:Just to clarify a bit, tools were going to wear out fairly slowly. We would be balancing it until we have a situation where the market doesn't get flooded with tools that no one wants.

Clothes decaying would happen slowly as well. Raiders can get a 'perfect' set of gear in a matter of several months. If that gear then irreparably decays in a matter of several months, they'll always have something to do to keep their clothing top of the line.

This isn't saying we don't intend to have clothes and tools reparable at all. Perhaps it will be possible to repair a set number of times, and if you have a high T&N repairing your clothes or a high S&E repairing your tools, you get more durability back.

This raises another question which I think is still on the point of whether there should be decay and if so what kind? Is the purpose of this or any mechanic to encourage social interaction or add more grind? If someone with higher T&N can do a better job repairing, then a player has the choice of raising their own T&N, whether with the main or an alt, or finding someone else. On the other hand, If I can repair my own tools and clothing without regard to proficiencies, but perhaps with great attention to purity materials, then the mechanic seems to be primarily grind-inducing.

Edit: removed latin abreviation to stay out of trouble.
aptson wrote:
when i make posts on the forums i expect people to spell it out for me because i am new . .
jesi

Postby Voltaire1512 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:00 pm

TotalyMeow wrote:Just to clarify a bit, tools were going to wear out fairly slowly. We would be balancing it until we have a situation where the market doesn't get flooded with tools that no one wants.

Thanks for the clarification. To be frank I think that "equipment wearing off" could be an interesting thing in combination with the "professions" you have on the roadmap. I like the idea, that a character may be "good at something" (whatever advantages this might bring in terms of production), but in all honesty I would like to see the ability to specialize ones character in a specific department right from day one instead of in the "endgame", that a lot of people do not reach due to lack of long-term motivation or frustration due to getting killed.
Voltaire1512

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements