Should we have Decay on Tools and Clothing?

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Should Decay be implemented and how?

I think decay is a bad idea.
43%
I like decay on tools that causes them to become less effective when they 'break' and can be repaired.
10%
I like decay on tools that causes them to wear out as they are used and eventually disappear.
3%
I like decay on tools and clothing that causes them to become less effective when they 'break' and can be repaired.
18%
I like decay on tools and clothing that causes them to wear out as they are used and disappear, where 'use' for clothing means I'm logged on and wearing them.
0%
I like decay on tools and clothing that causes them to wear out as they are used and disappear, where 'use' for clothing means decay ticks taken only when I'm digging, chopping, being stabbed, etc.
26%

Total votes : 241

Re: Should we have Decay on Tools and Clothing?

Postby Potjeh » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:20 pm

I'd like to see a modification of the durability/integrity system with integrity being replaced by purity (assuming purity will matter for tools and clothes). So these things would never break completely, but they'd become less effective as they get older. The purity loss should of course depend on the proficiencies of the person doing the repairs, and on purity of tools where appropriate (a whetstone for sharpening axes and swords, for example).
Potjeh

Postby Denkar » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:58 am

loftar wrote:For the record, it should be said with regards to durability, that there isn't necessarily a strict dichotomy between tools becoming temporarily broken and repairable or breaking permanently.

An idea Jorb and I have played with is giving clothes a "current HP" and "max HP", where both are mutable. The Current HP would decrease with decay/use/wear/whatever, and when it reaches zero, the item "breaks" into an unusable but repairable state. When repaired, however, there is a certain fixed or stochastic, small or large decrease to the Max HP. Thus, you can repair an item many times over its probably rather long lifespan, and it only breaks permanently once the Max HP finally reaches zero. It would probably be coupled with some mechanic that lets characters with a high value in some proficiency repair items with much less permanent wear.

What would the advantages of that system be?

Personally, I dislike items with "max HP". They're temporary, so they never truly feel like I actually "own" them. It's more like I'm renting those items. It's understandable on certain items, such as armor -- it's realistic that they may get damaged to the point of no repair, as that's their purpose, to absorb damage. But on tools and weapons? I think you guys had the right idea when you designed the decay system on Haven (and I hope you don't change it for Haven 2).

I do understand the problems that appear when items are permanent -- as there's no other use for them and everyone has the best tools, their price starts deflating, to the point where everyone has them and defeats the purpose of being the "best" tools. However, if the "smelt down" function is introduced then those spare high quality tools wouldn't drop in value as they would simply be smelted down.
Denkar

Postby alagar » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:19 am

Just make high purity tools with better efficiency, pl0x.
REMOVE STALLS!
alagar

Postby ElManisero » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:31 am

Whyamihere wrote:
Icon wrote:Because there isn't enough grind already

Exactly what would be the point other than making another grind fest. What would be added by oh I cut down 10 trees now to make a new axe over and over again.
Established players would have the means to do this but what does it actually add but another step in a tedious process all ready.

+1
A man has vanished! Follow The Greenthumb Tales for mystery and merchandise!
ElManisero

Postby colesie » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:57 am

ElManisero wrote:
Whyamihere wrote:
Icon wrote:Because there isn't enough grind already

Exactly what would be the point other than making another grind fest. What would be added by oh I cut down 10 trees now to make a new axe over and over again.
Established players would have the means to do this but what does it actually add but another step in a tedious process all ready.

+1

Grind on top of grind...

Bots aren't exactly a glaring issue at the moment and that is mainly the reason for tools wearing out to begin with.
There is no point to decay aside from needless extra steps.

Decay from taking sword/gun damage on actual armor sure, but tools and other things seems to be taking it a little too far for what Salem currently is
Beep Boop Bop
My builds (Under Occupation)
Have you given haven a try? ◕‿◕
colesie

Postby Darwoth » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:58 am

anyone that is actually complaining about the prospect of having to make a new axe or shovel every few days is utterly hopeless.
Darwoth

Postby colesie » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:13 am

Darwoth wrote:make a new axe or shovel every few days

>implying
Beep Boop Bop
My builds (Under Occupation)
Have you given haven a try? ◕‿◕
colesie

Postby Okocim » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:56 am

Its natural that everything we use break.
The better the item is and the more skilled user the longer it would keep a good shape.

And i think it would help to keep the Salem trading live.
Bacause what's the purpose to buy second axe if u'v got one anyways if it's permament? so whats the point to even try to sell axe?

Durability system is a great idea imo and only thing to talk about should be how fast should it decay.
Okocim

Postby Greb » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:01 am

Okocim wrote:Its natural that everything we use break.
The better the item is and the more skilled user the longer it would keep a good shape.

And i think it would help to keep the Salem trading live.
Bacause what's the purpose to buy second axe if u'v got one anyways if it's permament? so whats the point to even try to sell axe?

Durability system is a great idea imo and only thing to talk about should be how fast should it decay.

Yes, it would help market, though depending on how long people can actually use the item, if its for months, then it does not do much to change prices.
Greb

Postby Darwoth » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:03 am

imo a tool should break every 8 or so hours of use given the amount of effort currently required to make one.
Darwoth

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements