Development Roadmap

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Development Roadmap

Postby alprice » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:47 am

Yes you went too far on the clothes. :D you haven't been there when someone slots that last item and it breaks. Duck and cover!!
Embie is my name :P
alprice

Postby Dammit » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:27 am

Indeed I have not yet gotten that far in my game play experience so I can not truly comment on the toughness or failure of such slots. Probably since I have no clothes to slot, or probably profs to slot with I would be wasting my time..
Dammit

Postby Feone » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:53 am

Darwoth wrote:tools should absolutely have durability, if anyone beyond a week into the game is having trouble supplying themselves with iron they are doing it wrong.

I agree on the durability. Metal tools should last a while, but they should break nonetheless.
Feone

Postby alloin » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:20 am

alprice wrote:Yes you went too far on the clothes. :D you haven't been there when someone slots that last item and it breaks. Duck and cover!!

I vote for a durability on clothing TBH

There nothing more to do if you have all best in slot items, having durability is a good thing, even if the owner can repair said durability with another item.
jorb wrote:all I see is misplaced machismo and a lot of very cheap talk. ^^

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

Postby Dammit » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:28 am

alloin wrote:
alprice wrote:Yes you went too far on the clothes. :D you haven't been there when someone slots that last item and it breaks. Duck and cover!!

There nothing more to do if you have all best in slot items, having durability is a good thing, even if the owner can repair said durability with another item.

That's what I was thinking, but I have not yet achieved that accomplishment of even slotting 1 thing into 1 item. I just had diarrhea of the mouth and thoughts.
Dammit

Postby Horis » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:28 pm

Dammit wrote:
alloin wrote:

That's what I was thinking, but I have not yet achieved that accomplishment of even slotting 1 thing into 1 item. I just had diarrhea of the mouth and thoughts.

Easy compromise. Slotting fails less or not at all, and clothes wear off. you don't need slotting failure if you have durability.
Horis

Postby alprice » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:18 pm

No idea is a bad idea. I just laughed when I ready your post. I understand the durability concept and the need for repair. Snake Skulls are rare and when slotted as a last item and it goes in, I sure don't want to lose said clothing.
Embie is my name :P
alprice

Postby nonsonogiucas » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:16 pm

alprice wrote:No idea is a bad idea. I just laughed when I ready your post. I understand the durability concept and the need for repair. Snake Skulls are rare and when slotted as a last item and it goes in, I sure don't want to lose said clothing.

Someone already mentioned that having durability doesn't exclude the possiblity to have the ability to repair such items.
Also your point doesn't make a lot of sense because of pvp and permadeath... you will lose every item, regardless of durability.
I was lucky...
nonsonogiucas

Postby Inotdead » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:21 pm

Darwoth wrote:tools should absolutely have durability, if anyone beyond a week into the game is having trouble supplying themselves with iron they are doing it wrong.

I'll take it a bit further and say, that everything should have durability / expiration date.
Swords get dull, clothes become tattered and food gets spoiled - it's only logical.
Claeyt wrote: I'm not saying it's right or justified that they steal or sell drugs or murder cops I'm saying that that's exactly what you would do if you were poor and desperate and Black.
Inotdead

Postby loftar » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:41 pm

Inotdead wrote:Swords get dull, clothes become tattered and food gets spoiled - it's only logical.

Per se, this is true, and Jorb and I have often nourished such plans, not least that of fresh food getting spoiled after some time.

The reason we have opted against it thus far (though I'm still not apodictically opposed to it) is because of the experiences we have had of similar mechanics in Haven, such as from the time when decay on structures was always active, even on claims. With such mechanics, it's often a pain to log in after some minor time of inactivity and notice all the decay around you and realize the boring upkeep you'll have to go through to restore entropy.

The mechanic we currently consider most viable in terms of perishable food is to differ between fresh and conserved food, like the difference between a freshly-cooked Sunday Steak on the one hand and dried fish on the other hand. As long as there are steady-states in the system, I suspect it might still be a fun mechanic, but we haven't been sure enough to dare try it.
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements