What's in Store

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: What's in Store

Postby Kreek » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:23 am

royalcheesecake wrote:it would be awesome if you could purchase a way to design your own hat, choices of style, color and so on.

This. Puzzle Pirates style item creation would be intense. Each different color/style requiring different materials.
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.
Kreek

Postby Michael » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:47 am

I wouldn't be ok with having cash shop weapons (ex. the rapier and halberd) be stronger than the normal saber. if cash shop weapons out power the Spanish Saber then people would stop using that weapon altogether, creating a pay2win scenario. I am curious about how the community would feel about Bile raising Gluttony items though, along with other stuff to lessen the grind of Salem.

Also how do people feel about pre-slotted clothing being sold. Whenever i break the slot of cash shop clothing i feel like crying.
If they came pre-slotted, we would all have fancy looking and functioning clothing
Michael

Postby Dallane » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:00 pm

Michael wrote:I wouldn't be ok with having cash shop weapons (ex. the rapier and halberd) be stronger than the normal saber.

There should be multiple weapons made in game that could also be used in a pack. Say a swedish guard pack or something for the halberd.

All weapons should work differently and have both advantages and disadvantages along with different ways to fight with them.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby nonsonogiucas » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:39 pm

Michael wrote:I wouldn't be ok with having cash shop weapons (ex. the rapier and halberd) be stronger than the normal saber. if cash shop weapons out power the Spanish Saber then people would stop using that weapon altogether, creating a pay2win scenario. I am curious about how the community would feel about Bile raising Gluttony items though, along with other stuff to lessen the grind of Salem.

Also how do people feel about pre-slotted clothing being sold. Whenever i break the slot of cash shop clothing i feel like crying.
If they came pre-slotted, we would all have fancy looking and functioning clothing

I address this from the point of view of game loops. If a cash shop is used to change how a single smaller game loop unfolds making it shorter or simpler I'm ok (and I think everyone would be). If said item dramatically affects the "main" loop (land control) or any other long term loop (like char life as it is intended now) then it has the potential of becoming pay to win.

Also you should be able to misuse an item from the item shop so it isn't a "I win button" but just a nicer tool.

Example:
Pay for better inspirationals. Affects the smaller inner loop that is raising proficiencies making it simpler / faster (provided you use them well). You can still achieve the same through hard work.

Pay for better food. Affects a slightly bigger loop, raising humors making it simpler / faster (provided you know how to glutton). You can still achieve the same through hard work.

Pay for humor level increase. Directly affects character development loop in a way that makes a lot of the crafting useless (you don't have to craft foods, tables etc...) and at the same time it cannot fail. It is impossible to achieve the same progression speed through hard work so it is an "I win" button.

Pay for 5 days increased wall / braziers resistance. Directly affects pvp in a way that cannot be challenged by clever usage of current game mechanics, "I win" button.

If what Dallane suggests is to buy weapons that can otherwise be crafted then it is totally ok since the buyer is just skipping a single crafting loop per item. It wouldn't be ok if said items were better than anything else or remained to the kin after death.
I was lucky...
nonsonogiucas

Postby RonPaulFTW » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:59 pm

So how's the big Sweden dev powwow going? Are jorbtar chill?
RonPaulFTW

Postby Brona » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:21 am

RonPaulFTW wrote:So how's the big Sweden dev powwow going? Are jorbtar chill?

Yea what the ***** johnny boy? Where are the pictures of crazy swede parties and stuff?

Leads me to believe that you guys are having a "Private party". ;)
Brona

Postby JohnCarver » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:10 am

RonPaulFTW wrote:So how's the big Sweden dev powwow going? Are jorbtar chill?

Things are going well. So far the majority of our time has been spent with PDX. Less glamorous than discussions of sweeping game changes but just as important. With PDX massive experience and exposure in the industry we felt it to our advantage to make as many inquiries as possible and soak in as much of their valuable knowledge as we could. Our primary focus was an in-depth analysis of the details of the Salem Marketing plan, what worked, and what didn't. It is important to us that this title receives a solid marketing effort once it is in a launch-able condition. We fully understand that we are counting our chickens before they hatch by investing time in these areas. We like to think we are just extremely confident they will in fact hatch under our watch.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby alprice » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:21 am

Not sure if it's been mentioned but I wonder if y'all can please fix the way we browse through the Salem screenshots. It sux!! Probably an easy fix but a pain in the arse for someone like me who enjoys them and their captions.
Embie is my name :P
alprice

Postby JohnCarver » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:28 am

alprice wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned but I wonder if y'all can please fix the way we browse through the Salem screenshots. It sux!! Probably an easy fix but a pain in the arse for someone like me who enjoys them and their captions.

Fix exactly how? Just a better interface than clicking through them? I admit, I didn't use them too often so I'm a bit naive here if they are lacking.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Brona » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:33 pm

JohnCarver wrote:
alprice wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned but I wonder if y'all can please fix the way we browse through the Salem screenshots. It sux!! Probably an easy fix but a pain in the arse for someone like me who enjoys them and their captions.

Fix exactly how? Just a better interface than clicking through them? I admit, I didn't use them too often so I'm a bit naive here if they are lacking.

I think there could be a way to upload them to a Salem the game imgur account. They have a really nice layout and the screen shots could still contain their captions.

Not sure if this is something one would have to pay for as a business. I don't think this would be a top priority though. The current system is adequate at least in my opinion.
Brona

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements