Nice Thing: Seasonal Stall

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Nice Thing: Seasonal Stall

Postby neored9 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:38 am

Bug squashing pays big time.

neored9

Postby Dallane » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:38 am

seksi
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Claeyt » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:40 am

The first Rose has been purchased and planted. Thank you John Carver.

Update: I just realized they used angled fences on the berry farms in town.

jorb wrote:(jwhitehorn) you are an ungrateful, spoiled child

As the river rolled over the cliffs, my own laughing joy was drowned out by the roaring deluge of the water. The great cataract of Darwoth's Tears fell over and over endlessly.
Claeyt

Postby dunehammer2014 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:00 am

10s/ pcs is too high. spiders r everywhere, one can easily hunt 16pcs of thm and boil then in a caudron, that will be 160s
dunehammer2014

Postby Brona » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:30 am

dunehammer2014 wrote:10s/ pcs is too high. spiders r everywhere, one can easily hunt 16pcs of thm and boil then in a caudron, that will be 160s

It takes a while to boil them doesn't it?
I like the fact that they are useful now. Also its temporary so this is a hunt em while you can thing I think.
Spiders are decently difficult to hunt too because of their web. Even if you one shot them you get webbed.
Brona

Postby JohnCarver » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:36 am

dunehammer2014 wrote:10s/ pcs is too high. spiders r everywhere, one can easily hunt 16pcs of thm and boil then in a caudron, that will be 160s

We tried to balanced them against beavers. You can currently and alternatively sail down the coast and kill packs for their skins very quickly. You can then dry them easier on racks that we felt boiling spiders would go as people traditionally have more drying racks than pots. After that is said and done you are getting 12s a beaver vs. 10s a spider. Perhaps we may be wrong, but we felt justified. If its a bit "too" rewarding, well, the stall is seasonal and, therefore, meant to be slightly above average returns if you choose to work towards the goods it is buying. So farm them while the going is good I suppose.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Claeyt » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:16 am

JohnCarver wrote:

We tried to balanced them against beavers in our mind. You can currently and alternatively sail down the coast and kill packs for their skins very quickly. You can then dry them easier on racks that we felt boiling spiders would go as people traditionally have more drying racks than pots. After that is said and done you are getting 12s a beaver vs. 10s a spider. Perhaps we may be wrong, but we felt justified. If its a bit "too" rewarding, well, the stall is seasonal and, therefore, meant to be slightly above average returns if you choose to work towards the goods it is buying. So farm them while the going is good I suppose.

10s is a fine price. I'd love to see deer hide be more with snakes and rabbits staying 4s. Variety is the spice of life.
jorb wrote:(jwhitehorn) you are an ungrateful, spoiled child

As the river rolled over the cliffs, my own laughing joy was drowned out by the roaring deluge of the water. The great cataract of Darwoth's Tears fell over and over endlessly.
Claeyt

Postby Feone » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:51 am

Claeyt wrote:
JohnCarver wrote:

We tried to balanced them against beavers in our mind. You can currently and alternatively sail down the coast and kill packs for their skins very quickly. You can then dry them easier on racks that we felt boiling spiders would go as people traditionally have more drying racks than pots. After that is said and done you are getting 12s a beaver vs. 10s a spider. Perhaps we may be wrong, but we felt justified. If its a bit "too" rewarding, well, the stall is seasonal and, therefore, meant to be slightly above average returns if you choose to work towards the goods it is buying. So farm them while the going is good I suppose.

10s is a fine price. I'd love to see deer hide be more with snakes and rabbits staying 4s. Variety is the spice of life.

Personally I'd say not so much the skin itself, after your biles are up a bit deer are really no harder than bunnies. Actually, bunnies are probably more annoying since they run away so fast.

However, I do think the leather system could use some upgrades. We have so many types of cotton, but only one leather. It could be a nice candidate for some easy variety. Add a few luxury leathers from specific skins with maybe a few more ingredients required in the tanning fluid, these could sell for a bit higher than the standard price at stalls. Seems like a fairly easy thing to add as a warmup project for the devs.
Feone

Postby JohnCarver » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:58 am

Feone wrote:Personally I'd say not so much the skin itself, after your biles are up a bit deer are really no harder than bunnies. Actually, bunnies are probably more annoying since they run away so fast.

However, I do think the leather system could use some upgrades. We have so many types of cotton, but only one leather. It could be a nice candidate for some easy variety. Add a few luxury leathers from specific skins with maybe a few more ingredients required in the tanning fluid, these could sell for a bit higher than the standard price at stalls. Seems like a fairly easy thing to add as a warmup project for the devs.

We want to open up various quality hides through additional unlocks in the Hunting & Gathering Prof. Tree. We have not yet carried that through to leather working and would love to hear community ideas on how the Leather system could be further explored. Other than just selling them for more money on the stall, why would you want better leathers? What would they do? How would they differ?
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Dallane » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:13 am

JohnCarver wrote:would love to hear community ideas on how the Leather system could be further explored. Other than just selling them for more money on the stall, why would you want better leathers? What would they do? How would they differ?

The problem is that the armor system isn't like other games. What the purpose of cloths that don't have any stats with them? In haven skins have a high value. Here not so much. Stats come in the form of artifice. Other then selling the stuff to npcs there isn't much use for skins. Other then maybe increasing the value of the skin what else could we do with quality on skin?
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements