Nice Thing: Seasonal Stall

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Nice Thing: Seasonal Stall

Postby Darwoth » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:17 am

other than the typical leather b is required for item a better leather makes better holsters/slings/sheaths/handles for weapons which could affect draw or swing times, better tack for horses that could affect speed, better backpacks that hold more, better clothes that have more slots, better sealed canoes that go faster, better shoes that could let you walk faster, climb better, swim longer etc, could be used as bait for other animal types (maybe you need bear skins to attempt spawning a rarer more agressive mob etc)
Darwoth

Postby Feone » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:21 am

JohnCarver wrote:
Feone wrote:Personally I'd say not so much the skin itself, after your biles are up a bit deer are really no harder than bunnies. Actually, bunnies are probably more annoying since they run away so fast.

However, I do think the leather system could use some upgrades. We have so many types of cotton, but only one leather. It could be a nice candidate for some easy variety. Add a few luxury leathers from specific skins with maybe a few more ingredients required in the tanning fluid, these could sell for a bit higher than the standard price at stalls. Seems like a fairly easy thing to add as a warmup project for the devs.

We want to open up various quality hides through additional unlocks in the Hunting & Gathering Prof. Tree. We have not yet carried that through to leather working and would love to hear community ideas on how the Leather system could be further explored. Other than just selling them for more money on the stall, why would you want better leathers? What would they do? How would they differ?

Hm, off the top of my head I can think of a few things it might be useful for:

1) Fancy clothing. Wether you tend to crops, explore the world or mercilessly slaughter newbies, everybody loves looking fabulous while doing it.
2) Perhaps add strips of leather as a high-grade substitute for certain fiber applications or other crafting where it makes sense. Canoes come to mind.
3) WooWooWands, if witchcraft is ever implemented perhaps a fancy version of the dowsing rod (March hare leather?) could seek out the malignant influence of hexes. With a degree of uncertainty, ofcourse.
4) Perhaps using higher grade fabric could increase the odds of artificing succeeding. I absolutely hate the current artificing RNG system though, I doubt reducing the failing rate would make it any more enjoyable.

Edit-

If horses are added, saddles would be a great application as well. Better leather could alter their appearence but perhaps also affect the maximum speeds the horse could move at. Perhaps the cargo capacity of a saddle (bags on it, etc) could be affected by the type of leather as well.
Feone

Postby wiatrak » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:54 am

Right now we've got the ability of slotting armors, still we have no stats for weapons! Taking some ideas from diffrent games:

1. Change a little bit the effects of artifacts and add stats to items! I'd say more complex window with informations about current item. Well we need more informations anyway, unless you've made a screenshot or wrote it down you can't be 100% sure what's the purity of the pot >.>

2. The stats:
-DURABILITY - the first and most wanted by me personally, if you use your clothes to fight or to work they are getting damaged, you can repair them but it costs(materials!) and you will always lose some % and finally destroy the item, this way more clothes will be needed and those best ones will be much harder to get.
-Attack DMG - well it is there but you have to count it and we've got only one type of weapon + some meele attacks
-Attack Protection - same.
-Attack speed - well it could be done in two ways, faster attack animation(the more skill you have the more fun it is), or reducing the cost of yellow bile so you can do more attacks

3. Apart of artifact let us work on our armors and weapons, allowing us to sharpen our sword and such at cost of durability(which can be repaired, but you need some materials for the upgrading process too!)

4. And we could always try to work on durability at a high cost and high risk(well for the unskilled ones ;>)

5. For the future, there was mentioned a witchcraft, attaching poison on your weapon would be fun in terms of having serum always with you.
wiatrak
Customer

Postby Kalliokamu » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:23 pm

Thanks a lot for small updates already!

Personally I would like to see craftable armor (leather armor, fibre armor, iron&copper armor). Also I would like to see sugar added as a plantable crop. With sugar you could either bake or distill a bottle of rum which would speed up the reduction for "fear" debuff but would have the "poisonous mushroom" effect for biles :). And still would love to see the player owned stalls added (or other means for selling products)..
Kalliokamu

Postby Bearcub » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:05 pm

1)Witchcraft must be implemented one day, people expect it from beginning as those amazing brooms were shown on the trailer long time ago. I agree about travel bags for horses, but broom as substitute could be a bit faster than the horse (like a row boat an canoe). So since canoe is already faster than boat then it's no need to make the faster canoe.
2)The better usage for different leather is armor (I don't think that giving the hp to each robe is the good idea as it won't so suit with artifacts - who'd like to lose WSS after several fights) but giving a substitute for hunters to make almost same great suit as from sea-island cotton (marchare leather and bearskin leather could be a very nice options).
3)Giving a special price or effect to deer skin is wierd cause deer is pretty easy to kill (while you could spend looong time for searching about beavers).
4)And as some new stuff finally made silk-spiders useful, why not to make some artifacts from that web? or may be it's about the 2nd option in my list. E.g. its preferable if people could fix broken slots in clothes (of course not with 100% chance). I'd even merge argopelter skin and that spider-web (to make it not too cheap) but give the price to pelter's skin (current is not about high benefit).
Trade is the first step to the diplomacy.
Diplomacy is a tool for unification.
Then be honest with your customers to make new bonds!
Bearcub

Postby JohnCarver » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:28 pm

Great ideas guys. Just a couple of things.

We realize the high demand for "Fixing" broken items. However, we also like the idea that you will make more than one of each item in your Salem career in the hopes of gathering that perfectly slotted item. If we were to implement a way to repair without a heavy consequence directly tied to it the system would rapidly digress to where a player makes one item, then simply repairs it over and over until perfection. Some may say the system is better but we much prefer the material sink to having multiple iterations of the same item floating out there in various broken qualities.

We like Saddlebags. We also like Bridles and Saddles.

We like new armors and new clothing models. Those things should be fairly trivial once our modeler starts cranking out the new art quickly to a format and to the specifics that Salem prefers.

We like more stats on swords.

Poison/Potion system is a several week commitment on our current development project timeline but we don't want poisons to be confused and/or mixed with WitchCraft. We would like those systems to remain separate.

We didn't think about sheathing your weapon. But we like it. Perhaps a way to have a sword ready to use but not immediately and always using one of your hand slots if you have a sheath. We will contemplate on this.

We recognize argos became less valuable with their silver price reduced. We plan on giving them a loot table that will provide appropriate incentive for you to kill them. (not just silver)
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby JohnCarver » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:27 pm

darnokpl wrote:Why would medicore player want to join salem few months after last wipe and play, while there are no-life having for example 800 biles and that new player after month can have only 80 biles.
----

The answer to this question is our most favorite and prized development idea! Unfortunately, its going to be a huge, big, fun and exciting concept not yet discussed in the world of Salem. As such, I'm not even allowed to talk about it openly until at least the Animal Husbandry patch hits.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Murutha » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:33 pm

JohnCarver wrote:
We realize the high demand for "Fixing" broken items. However, we also like the idea that you will make more than one of each item in your Salem career in the hopes of gathering that perfectly slotted item. If we were to implement a way to repair without a heavy consequence directly tied to it the system would rapidly digress to where a player makes one item, then simply repairs it over and over until perfection. Some may say the system is better but we much prefer the material sink to having multiple iterations of the same item floating out there in various broken qualities.

What i think most meant was not fixing broken slots or anything, but having clothing/gear wear just like a fishing rod, and such wear should be fixable using certain materials. That would mean that people with perfectly slotted gear still have to pay attention to their clothing if they don't want them to be distroyed.
Murutha

Postby Okocim » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:00 pm

Murutha wrote:
JohnCarver wrote:

What i think most meant was not fixing broken slots or anything, but having clothing/gear wear just like a fishing rod, and such wear should be fixable using certain materials. That would mean that people with perfectly slotted gear still have to pay attention to their clothing if they don't want them to be distroyed.

Imho letting to repair gear over and over wouldn't make a change. If we want to create item-flow limit the repairing ability.
For example, creating two bars, at the moment durability, and total durability. If 1st bar would go zero item would break.
While we'r using an item, 1st bar would be lowered and while we'r repairing the second bar goes down. If the second bar is zero we cant repair our item anymore.
Also there could be implemented a system for temporarily improve our stuff, lets say sharpening our weapon would add some of the deadly power to our sword, and polishing our armor would grant us some extra defense, but it would take some of the 2nd bar.
Okocim

Postby Feone » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:33 pm

I think another giant barrier to new players, one I havn't really seen mentioned here yet (though I may have overlooked it) is the complete lack of options to practise pvp.

Characters are enormously valuable, that alone makes any sort of fighting a risk, however it's not the only reason. You can't win with 0 pvp experience against people who do have it, making it not just risky but mostly pointless to even try.
Can't practise because it's too risky. It's too risky,partially, because we can't practise.

loftar wrote:
darnokpl wrote:Don't let characters to go offline at all, doesn't matter if he is criminal, fisherman, farmer, trader alt or just 5 biles noob alt, he should stay in game forever

For the record, Jorb and I have often considered this idea quite seriously for a long time, though mostly in the context of Haven. The main reasons we haven't implemented it are:
  • We find it too harsh for the noobs who don't have locked houses and walls and claims and whatnot. These players will be constantly stuck in the wilderness without even so much as high HP for defenses and will be culled mercilessly. I'm afraid it would be almost impossible to start the game without playing constantly until you have a claim and walls.
  • Pretty much regardless of the game's retention rate, the landscape would be littered with people who've stopped playing, which is quite ugly. This is triply problematic in Salem due to Boston.

If it weren't for those problems, we'd probably already have that.

Seeing how there is absolutely no defense beyond logging out when you're a newbie it's probably a bad idea for that reason alone.
Perhaps make it optional? Stick around online -> much faster cooldown reduction on that fed up debuff, also maybe quicker inspiration?
Feone

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements