The Winds of Change

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

The Winds of Change

Postby jorb » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:07 am

Friends, Providentials, countrymen,

As you may already have noticed, the Winds of Change are again blowing hard -- no puns intended -- in the wonderful world of Salem, and loftar and I are thrilled -- which doesn't happen too often -- to share in the announcement today that we are, indeed, turning over the totality of Salem's development reins to Mortal Moments, their project lead John Carver, and the whole of the extended team he'll be setting up for the purpose of tackling this game full on! Imagine that, you will have a whole team working for you, rather than just us two idiots! :)

The dynamic duo that is the Seatribe team has, for the past year or so, been very plagued by an increasingly poor conscience over the state of Salem, and over our by now well demonstrated inability to properly juggle this ongoing responsibility with those becoming Haven & Hearth, our other MMO project, and both projects have as a result suffered from the bifurcation of our energies over the past year. As you may have noticed, our under-achievement with the last major Salem patch took a good deal of wind out of our sails, and eventually caused us to take the hard decision to focus material development almost exclusively to H&H, leaving poor Salem in its present state of disrepair, over which we have beat ourselves up far more than I think any of you ever could or would. All of this compounds to the joy and -- frankly -- relief, that loftar and I now feel at the prospect of turning over Salem and its future to a team and company that we are convinced will spare no dedication at turning this game around, and toward the bright future I have always remained convinced that it could and should have.

To those of you who appreciate what we do, and whatever qualities and vision we might have for computer game development, fear not! The deal between Seatribe and Mortal Moments implies both an ongoing partnership between us, as well as an extensive role in advicing and consultation on our part toward the new development team. Building an MMO requires at least some skill and know-how, and we will be there at every first step of the new team's way, to ensure that a smooth turnover of the many responsibilities, systems and all and sundries implied by a project of this scope happens. We, thus and also, very much hope to be able to continue to take active part and interest in the continued development of Salem, albeit from a slightly loftier vantage point than has perhaps hereto been the case. While our attention has at times been elsewhere, we have never lost neither hope nor love for this game, it's very unique setting, and the awesomeness of its lore and universe. We believe firmly that this new regime will infuse the game with a gust of new creative energies that will most hopefully allow it to finally reach above and beyond all of its potential.

Loftar and I would like to thank you all for sticking with us through good and bad times of Salem development. To all of you who still share our love and concern for the game we extend a very heartfelt gratitude. I know our attitude is ****** at times, but we really do like you, your dedication to our games, and we hope to see more of y'all both here and over at H&H, where we -- once Carver & co. are firmly in the driver's seat -- will be investing the majority of our time, with one loving eye always turned to this diamond still in the rough, and every lovely new facet of it that I am sure will soon begin to emerge. Over the course of our various negotiations, we have developed a very close and positive working relationship with John especially, and we have every confidence that he very much means the proverbial business, and very much shares in the fundamental aspects of our philosophy for what this game should eventually be. I have no fear that the positive aspects of the unique niche that this game has occupied will ever be abandoned.

Without further ado, I extend my warmest welcome to Salem's new Captain John Carver, and give a quiet toast to the game's new-found future, and loving adoptive family. I also thank Paradox for the time and energy they have given the project over the years.

Loftar and I will with this post gradually fade away from prominence here, but the future is brighter than ever. Thank you all so very much for everything you've given us. We are and remain humbled, and feel free to ask any and all questions that may remain!

Farewell, Salemmings! Know always that, in quiet moments -- when you look up at the squonks, witches, griefers, bagousers and injuns, or down with your dying face and tears in the mud -- the diune Godhead will still always remain with you, smiling.

We will meet again. <3

:)
jorb

Re: The Winds of Change

Postby Binks » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:08 am

Thanks for all that you have done Jorb and Loftar. With out either of you this game would of never ever come into existence. So I just wanna thank you for all the time you dedicated to this! I'm overjoyed to see you handed it over rather than let it die out. Thank you for giving the game another chance to succeed!
Last edited by Binks on Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Binks

Postby alloin » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:09 am

Interesting

Thanks for all what you have done for Salem so far :)

I'm hoping the best for Salem, off to work now, i'll have some reading to do when i'm back.
Last edited by alloin on Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
jorb wrote:all I see is misplaced machismo and a lot of very cheap talk. ^^

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

Postby Murphy » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:12 am

O_o omg wow

Thank you, jorb and loftar for bringing Salem to us and thank you so much for making the decision to let someone else into your project to prevent it from dying. You guys sure know how to surprise your communities!
The best luck to the both of you for your development on H&H and congratulations on making this wise decision.
Thanks so much for everything!
And welcome, JohnCarver and TotalyMeow, I'm looking forward to see where these your winds of change will bring us!
:')
Last edited by Murphy on Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Murphy

Postby Kandarim » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:13 am

Welp, big turn-around it is.
Thanks for clarifying - I'm interested to see where this will be going :)
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby Judaism » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:13 am

jorb wrote:You will have a whole team working for you, rather than just us two idiots! :)

You two idiots gave me my favourite game though.
JohnCarver wrote:Mortal Moments Inc. is not here to cannibalize the community or piece out the code. We are not here because we wish to institute pay to win models or PvE servers. Quite the contrary.
Judaism
Customer

Postby Champie » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:17 am

Judaism wrote:
jorb wrote:You will have a whole team working for you, rather than just us two idiots! :)

You two idiots gave me my favourite game though.

Just stupid enough not to realize that they were on to something brilliant.
Champie

Postby Ukhata » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:18 am

did you completely sell the game? or just a majority interest?
as in will you have NO ownership, say, stocks or somesuch of Salem later on?
and if so, why?
and if not why not?

just interested as it still is your baby as much as HnH is.
Ukhata

Postby Jalpha » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:23 am

nvr 4get

crai errytiem
Professor Gu Zhongmao wrote:These projects are beautiful to scientists, but nightmarish to engineers
Jalpha

Postby darnokpl » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:24 am

Smartest move since I joined salem :)
darnokpl

Next

Return to Announcements