A Brave New Salem

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: A Brave New Salem

Postby JohnCarver » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:22 am

RonPaulFTW wrote:Fields, Animals, and water all have fairly important roles I'm gluttony and thus humours. So it sounds like work in three distinct purity systems for the best gluttony results. I'm not opposed at all - just hoping to learn more about your game design thoughts.

I'm not convinced that the purity of water must be taken into consideration when calculating the value of foods. Fields most certainly would, and we are currently working on designs that allow for purity in Animals considering we don't want to leave the entire meat food group behind yet are skeptical that animals should be for nothing but higher purity meat I.E. Humors in the end.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby jesi » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:40 am

JohnCarver wrote:I'm not convinced that the purity of water must be taken into consideration when calculating the value of foods. Fields most certainly would, and we are currently working on designs that allow for purity in Animals considering we don't want to leave the entire meat food group behind yet are skeptical that animals should be for nothing but higher purity meat I.E. Humors in the end.

How could the purity of the water not be the most, or as, significant a factor as the purity of the soil in the pot? I understand this is not the real world but as I live in an area with lots of minerals in the soil and very hard water, and as a result cannot grow well many types of garden vegetables and flowers, while we are kings in wine production, I have a hard time understanding your reasoning.
aptson wrote:
when i make posts on the forums i expect people to spell it out for me because i am new . .
jesi

Postby Blood » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:37 am

With the purity of mines changing from what you said, does that mean a complete reset of all mines? and if so does that mean other metals can be found inside mines/gems? curious as im currently making my mine larger and it be nice to know if thats all wasted time and effort.
Blood

Postby JohnCarver » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:39 am

Blood wrote:With the purity of mines changing from what you said, does that mean a complete reset of all mines? and if so does that mean other metals can be found inside mines/gems? curious as im currently making my mine larger and it be nice to know if thats all wasted time and effort.

As far as we can tell thus far players will be rewarded quite nicely if they have larger and more sophisticated mines. That being said, its all still very much up in the air as we have only scratched the surface of the mining updates.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Cheena » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:18 am

Will mines connect with each-other now ? :mrgreen:
Trust your enemies more than your friends. Your enemies will never betray you.
loftar wrote:***** the treaty.

(Note: Citation is severely out of context.)
Cheena

Postby Thor » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:14 am

Cheena wrote:Will mines connect with each-other now ? :mrgreen:

YAY!
saltmummy wrote:You sad sad little man, my heart weeps for you. Better not go outside or your thin, tissue paper like skin might spontaneously rupture while your fragile sensibilities violently shatter spraying salt and urine all over the street.
Thor

Postby RonPaulFTW » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:31 pm

JohnCarver wrote:I'm not convinced that the purity of water must be taken into consideration when calculating the value of foods. Fields most certainly would, and we are currently working on designs that allow for purity in Animals considering we don't want to leave the entire meat food group behind yet are skeptical that animals should be for nothing but higher purity meat I.E. Humors in the end.

I agree Water is hard because there's not a clear way to allow players to influence its purity beyond the materials used to construct a well - and I think you have ruled out purity buildings elsewhere. On the other hand - water wars are a common theme in reality. I'd be ok with rare super pure water areas and wells that are the instigators of lots of fighting.

If tool purity is important - maybe the bucket used to draw water - or the bucket in the well has some effect. This would be similar to a purity fishing rod influencing the purity of the fish caught - otherwise you risk leaving that food group behind too.

There are lots of uses you can come up with for animals to provide power to various farming equipment, industrial machines, pulling carts etc... Maybe pure animals work faster.
RonPaulFTW

Postby Feone » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:20 pm

RonPaulFTW wrote:

I agree Water is hard because there's not a clear way to allow players to influence its purity beyond the materials used to construct a well - and I think you have ruled out purity buildings elsewhere. On the other hand - water wars are a common theme in reality. I'd be ok with rare super pure water areas and wells that are the instigators of lots of fighting.

If tool purity is important - maybe the bucket used to draw water - or the bucket in the well has some effect. This would be similar to a purity fishing rod influencing the purity of the fish caught - otherwise you risk leaving that food group behind too.

There are lots of uses you can come up with for animals to provide power to various farming equipment, industrial machines, pulling carts etc... Maybe pure animals work faster.

Water purity could also be taken literally.
Using some kind of refinery style process to take regularly found water and purify it. Perhaps well water could start out the purest, followed by river, followed by lake, followed by sea.
The more purification steps the purer the water.
Feone

Postby Horis » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:52 pm

Thor wrote:
Cheena wrote:Will mines connect with each-other now ? :mrgreen:

YAY!

Oh Boy! If we dig deep enough while mining can we reach the other side and end up in H&H?
Horis

Postby RonPaulFTW » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:13 pm

Feone wrote:Water purity could also be taken literally.
Using some kind of refinery style process to take regularly found water and purify it. Perhaps well water could start out the purest, followed by river, followed by lake, followed by sea.
The more purification steps the purer the water.

Well if the game wants to be somewhat accurate historically - boiling the water is about the only thing I can think of as a step in the purification process.
RonPaulFTW

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements