A Brave New Salem

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: A Brave New Salem

Postby Tylan » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:03 am

What is your intention with implementing a system of witchcraft into the game? And, if you do still intend to release such a system, what is your prospective time table?
jorb wrote:you fat-fingered, trigger happy nabbly-boos.

We write as a defense against the void, against the unknown that is the other side of death.
-C. Leland
Tylan

Postby JohnCarver » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:04 am

Claeyt wrote:I'm excited by this news JC buty I'd like to see examples of other titles you guys have developed. Do you guys have a web site we can visit to see your games or development styles or forum styles.

Great Question. Our Websiteis currently akin to that of your previous overlords wesbite. It is temporary, but the more polished product has taken a back-seat to the more pressing matters that is and are a working game in need of love and attention. As for previous projects, you won't find anything with any official release or final build. Up until this point we have simply dabbled in various platforms, the latest being based on the Unity engine and being themed around Spirits that when successfully consuming other players would "absorb" their essence and thus increase their power. When the opportunity to be a part of Salem presented itself, we immediately re-evaluated our direction and decided that our energies and capital may be better suited and invested into something far closer to Release yet still firmly heading in the same direction as us. That is to say, Salem was akin to the game we always wanted to finish building, so we decided there was no value in reinventing the wheel.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Brego » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:05 am

I believed until recently that Salem never die
My hopes were justified.
Thank you
Madness
I would change everything in places, but to madness, I do not have enough strength
""I Love TRIBE ""
Tha Biddas "Dream Crusher"
Brego

Postby Claeyt » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:12 am

JohnCarver wrote:
Claeyt wrote:I'm excited by this news JC buty I'd like to see examples of other titles you guys have developed. Do you guys have a web site we can visit to see your games or development styles or forum styles.

Great Question. Our Websiteis currently akin to that of your previous overlords wesbite. It is temporary, but the more polished product has taken a back-seat to the more pressing matters that is and are a working game in need of love and attention. As for previous projects, you won't find anything with any official release or final build. Up until this point we have simply dabbled in various platforms, the latest being based on the Unity engine and being themed around Spirits that when successfully consuming other players would "absorb" their essence and thus increase their power. When the opportunity to be a part of Salem presented itself, we immediately re-evaluated our direction and decided that our energies and capital may be better suited and invested into something far closer to Release yet still firmly heading in the same direction as us. That is to say, Salem was akin to the game we always wanted to finish building, so we decided there was no value in reinventing the wheel.

You'll have to understand our skepticism. I just checked out your website and it's basically empty. Have you ever published a game before? The Chief who's the leader of the MM tribe (Merciless Midgets game guild) has stated repeatedly that he'd like to buy Salem and develop it. I can't believe that he would actually have those Forum rules in place tho so I really really hope you're for real. I'd like to check out some of your other game dev work.

How many dev's do you have?

What country are you based in?

Where will the servers be hosted from?

Can you give us a hint as to any other stuff you've worked on?

Who else besides you is at Mortal Moments.
jorb wrote:(jwhitehorn) you are an ungrateful, spoiled child

As the river rolled over the cliffs, my own laughing joy was drowned out by the roaring deluge of the water. The great cataract of Darwoth's Tears fell over and over endlessly.
Claeyt

Postby JohnCarver » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:14 am

Tylan wrote:What is your intention with implementing a system of witchcraft into the game? And, if you do still intend to release such a system, what is your prospective time table?

Thank you, great questions.

We intend to implement WitchCraft and find it a fundamental mechanic of Salem. We will not deploy the launch until the system is implemented. It is perhaps a system a bit too large and a bit too complex to go into great detail but the general principle is that Witches hexes and curses currently involve a system of false-positives. That means that while there are certainly indicators that will make you want to believe you are cursed, there is also the possibility that you are experiencing little more than bad RNG. It is our hopes that this mechanic will create an ever-present feeling of paranoia as well as an increased amount of fun for the witch before her trickery is inevitably discovered.

It is a bit early to commit to solid time-tables at the moment. However, we very much dislike the idea of NO time-tables as well. The Project Time-Line for Salem has several major mile-markers that we currently reserve the right to move around as necessary, however, I can commit that we currently aim for one "Significant" patch each month, with 3 smaller patches between them to flesh out and expand on the existing systems.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Champie » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:18 am

JohnCarver wrote:
Tylan wrote:What is your intention with implementing a system of witchcraft into the game? And, if you do still intend to release such a system, what is your prospective time table?

Thank you, great questions.

We intend to implement WitchCraft and find it a fundamental mechanic of Salem. We will not deploy the launch until the system is implemented. It is perhaps a system a bit too large and a bit too complex to go into great detail but the general principle is that Witches hexes and curses currently involve a system of false-positives. That means that while there are certainly indicators that will make you want to believe you are cursed, there is also the possibility that you are experiencing little more than bad RNG. It is our hopes that this mechanic will create an ever-present feeling of paranoia as well as an increased amount of fun for the witch before her trickery is inevitably discovered.

It is a bit early to commit to solid time-tables at the moment. However, we very much dislike the idea of NO time-tables as well. The Project Time-Line for Salem has several major mile-markers that we currently reserve the right to move around as necessary, however, I can commit that we currently aim for one "Significant" patch each month, with 3 smaller patches between them to flesh out and expand on the existing systems.

This is some of the best satire I have read in a while. Please continue to share all the empty rhetoric we love to fall for!
Champie

Postby DarkNacht » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:29 am

So, when is the next wipe?
DarkNacht

Postby JohnCarver » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:33 am

Claeyt wrote:You'll have to understand our skepticism. I just checked out your website and it's basically empty. Have you ever published a game before? The Chief who's the leader of the MM tribe (Merciless Midgets game guild) has stated repeatedly that he'd like to buy Salem and develop it. I can't believe that he would actually have those Forum rules in place tho so I really really hope you're for real. I'd like to check out some of your other game dev work.

How many dev's do you have?

What country are you based in?

Where will the servers be hosted from?

Can you give us a hint as to any other stuff you've worked on?

Who else besides you is at Mortal Moments.

I'm well aware of the Chief and the Tribe that you speak of. Make no mistake, we have no intention of squelching their game-play through divine intervention. We also have no intention of the mechanics to continue where those in power and on top can live in the absence of fear. A scent, and the action of leaving one should be a calculated and carefully weighed decision each and every time it happens. Near as I can tell, this is not the case for your Tribe.

As for the questions.

Here is what we called Project:Mist. Never released. The Red glowy thing in the background is known as a GodStone and it essentially repels evil. There are only four of them in the map and each one glows a different color as its race living beneath them exhibited different traits. While I would love to talk about it for ages, the simple fact is we have abandoned in for the very real and very now opportunity of Salem Development.

We have 6 compensated developers who have been actively sitting and taking part in our round-table discussions and who will greatly impact the decisions and future of the title.

We are based out of the U.S.A. As such, Salem may now appropriately celebrate its independence.

Servers are currently maintaining at their current location. We have an active interest in modifying the status quo of server usage but we do not make it a priority. We have no interest in fixing that which is not broken over that which is.

The Corporate Structure at Mortal Moments Inc. is not one that I will go into open discussion here. I have appropriate level of incentive to lead this project and I hope that will be enough for you. If not, then there is little to be done about it.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Claeyt » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:38 am

It seems like you've played the game for awhile. Who were you in game and how much did you play it?
jorb wrote:(jwhitehorn) you are an ungrateful, spoiled child

As the river rolled over the cliffs, my own laughing joy was drowned out by the roaring deluge of the water. The great cataract of Darwoth's Tears fell over and over endlessly.
Claeyt

Postby jwhitehorn » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:40 am

DarkNacht wrote:So, when is the next wipe?

Wipe this **** and you will lose what little you have left or bought into.

Chief PeePooKaKa
MM Tribe
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
jwhitehorn

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements