A Brave New Salem

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: A Brave New Salem

Postby JohnCarver » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:45 am

Claeyt wrote:It seems like you've played the game for awhile. Who were you in game and how much did you play it?

You mean who am I. And how much DO I play it. We are firm believers you cannot develop a good game without playing it first-hand.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby DarkNacht » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:57 am

JohnCarver wrote:
Claeyt wrote:It seems like you've played the game for awhile. Who were you in game and how much did you play it?

You mean who am I. And how much DO I play it. We are firm believers you cannot develop a good game without playing it first-hand.

Yes, who are you?
DarkNacht

Postby Tamasin » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:01 am

I have a question

At the moment a lot of people are unhappy with gluttony and raiding
Could you please tell us anything about how these things may change?
Tamasin
Customer

Postby JohnCarver » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:13 am

Tamasin wrote:I have a question

At the moment a lot of people are unhappy with gluttony and raiding
Could you please tell us anything about how these things may change?

Great Questions. We feel the current build of Gluttony is an improvement in the way that it introduces more complexity, more educated food selections, and just general diversity in your cooking habbits. We feel that Gluttony was a very large step backwards in the sense that it created a timer in which you now have a very measurable amount of time before you can replace a deceased character and/or reach a targeted point of progression. We are not fans of the idea that you can mark a date on your calender and say to yourself "On this day I will be 125 Humours", knowing full well there is nothing you can do to advance or excel any faster than that.

As a result, our FIRST patch will implement a solution to this. We believe the solution is not in a roll-back and abandonment of the new system, or entire remake but a small tweak that will allow the dedicated player who wishes to invest more time than his peer, or the player who recently died and desperately wants to binge his way back to his previous strength, a way to do so. This way will be more difficult than if they were to wait out their F&F buff but it will still be doable.

As for Raiding we are not happy with that either but are less firm on our fix at this moment. The Raiding fix WILL NOT be in the first patch. We have several solutions, most of which DO include braziers running out of coal. SPOILER: Being able to access your Braziers in the future is probably a good idea, so will be keeping small batches of coal on hand to refill them in an emergency. But I expect the veterans to know I speak the truth when I say the system is broken far beyond that. The fix is a bit more tricky here and also has a larger risk associated with it. A poor implementation will leave players too exposed and quite frankly, we would prefer players to be too safe than in harms way while we get a more firm grip on the exact direction we wish to take.

Best I can say, is that if you are a raider who is frustrated at the system, I would encourage you to still advance your character as you should have opportunities once again in the future. If you are a peaceful player then I suggest you keep building defenses as you might not always be as safe as you once were. Keep in mind all of this will be countered by the very real fact that we anticipate scents to be a much more dangerous thing than they have been in the past so "hitting somebodies claim" will have more consequence in the form of retaliation and less consequence in the form of monotonous destruction.
Last edited by JohnCarver on Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Champie » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:14 am

jorb, very well played! I think I understand the message you are sending.

I don't want you and loftar to be this lame. It seems you feel that people, like myself who are being critical of your attitude toward the community, are asking for you guys to spew nonsense about dedication and principles and naive fantasies about features and balance. This is not the case. You guys are perfect the way you are! Keep doing what you are doing and I am sure you will have all the success that you pursue.

I only ask this of you guys: Please understand that you are both important to the whole community. It would be nice to get more interaction from you than just smack-downs.
Champie

Postby Tamasin » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:16 am

Thankyou JC i'm really, really really really happy to hear all that
Tamasin
Customer

Postby JohnCarver » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:16 am

I do not believe Jorb or Loftar have any desire to "abandon" you. It is my understanding they will be making a more formal message on the matter though so I will refrain from speaking for them.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Judaism » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:21 am

JohnCarver wrote:But I expect the veterans to know I speak the truth when I say the system is broken far beyond that.

Only a handfull of players have experienced raiding, you must be part of that small group to claim something like this.
JohnCarver wrote:Mortal Moments Inc. is not here to cannibalize the community or piece out the code. We are not here because we wish to institute pay to win models or PvE servers. Quite the contrary.
Judaism
Customer

Postby JohnCarver » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:29 am

Judaism wrote:
Only a handfull of players have experienced raiding, you must be part of that small group to claim something like this.

I played enough to realize what I could do last world and what I cannot do this world. While I appreciate you lumping me in as some elitist for what I feel was common knowledge, I never considered myself a raider.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Binks » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:33 am

JohnCarver wrote:
Judaism wrote:

I played enough to realize what I could do last world and what I cannot do this world. While I appreciate you lumping me in as some elitist for what I feel was common knowledge, I never considered myself a raider.

It's totally Yourgrandmother!

Beat you to it Dallane!
Binks

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements