A Brave New Salem

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: A Brave New Salem

Postby Claeyt » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:36 am

Binks wrote:It's totally Yourgrandmother!

It's not but I still think it might be MM. They have several Unity coders that are members.
jorb wrote:(jwhitehorn) you are an ungrateful, spoiled child

As the river rolled over the cliffs, my own laughing joy was drowned out by the roaring deluge of the water. The great cataract of Darwoth's Tears fell over and over endlessly.
Claeyt

Postby Binks » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:42 am

Claeyt wrote:

It's not but

No it's YGM get **** on. Gif is the conformation
Binks

Postby Champie » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:50 am

Binks wrote:
Claeyt wrote:

It's not but

No it's YGM get **** on. Gif is the conformation

If this is anybody other than jorb then this is the stupidest bunch of ***** I have ever witnessed. If this is jorb, as I contend, then it is ***** brilliant. THIS is a hardcore game, separating the truly weak minded from the strong thinkers.
Champie

Postby Tamasin » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:52 am

I have another question please!

Will you be changing the way we raise purity of crops and other items at all? And if so how.
Tamasin
Customer

Postby Binks » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:55 am

Champie wrote:If this is anybody other than jorb then this is the stupidest bunch of ***** I have ever witnessed. If this is jorb, as I contend, then it is ***** brilliant. THIS is a hardcore game, separating the truly weak minded from the strong thinkers.

Weren't you hating on Jorb constantly lately? Now your on his nuts again?
Binks

Postby Greb » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:05 am

Welcome! I hope you manage to fix this game, thanks!
Greb

Postby JohnCarver » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:05 am

Tamasin wrote:I have another question please!

Will you be changing the way we raise purity of crops and other items at all? And if so how.

Yes, we consider purity to be a very relevant part of the end-game and we consider the end-game thus far to be hugely non-functional or non-existent. Those who have been able to claw their way through the steep learning curve find themselves rewarded for a matter of months before quickly running out of things to do.

Currently the various items will be less dependent on each other. We would by lying if we said we didn't enjoy the grand scope and ambition that was a purity system where every item could have unique implications and effects on every other item. In reality, we do not feel that the balance necessary to achieve such a system is the appropriate allocation of effort. It is our goal to "roll out" purity in more meaningful ways in smaller but complete circles. That is to say you will be able to get object A to slowly and steadily rise in purity while other items in the game may still yet flounder in no real way to advance them until we reach that system in the development cycle. In the end, we hope to have Purity on most of what you recognize to have it today, just different systems in which you will raise it for different industries.

Oh, and we are not a fan of purity on structures. Breaking your stuff to build better stuff never sat right with us. We are not opposed to an "upgrade" system but for now are leaning towards the abandonment of structure purity. We don't like the idea of one player gaining 60% seeds and then immediately voiding the early-game grind for other purity pursuers. This means we are strongly looking into the pros and cons of field purity as a way to mitigate crop purity to be solely dependent on transferable goods.

Greb wrote:Welcome! I hope you manage to fix this game, thanks!

Me too!
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Champie » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:07 am

Binks wrote:
Champie wrote:If this is anybody other than jorb then this is the stupidest bunch of ***** I have ever witnessed. If this is jorb, as I contend, then it is ***** brilliant. THIS is a hardcore game, separating the truly weak minded from the strong thinkers.

Weren't you hating on Jorb constantly lately? Now your on his nuts again?

Clearly you weren't paying attention. I've called out jorb on his poor performance related to community relations. I think this is a response to the community - a massive troll by jorb orchestrating a fake takeover by a naive, inexperienced and egotistical company that feeds you all the ***** stuff jorb things we want from him. The funniest part is I just want to jorb to not engage in drive-by douchebaggery in the forums. However, this troll is ***** amazing! It gives us all the ***** nonsense game developers try to sell supporters without any of the actual proof that they have a ***** clue to do anything but make rules.

See, this troll reflects jorb's perception of the critical community in Salem. It is a work of art. Jorb demonstrates that he is an artist, he has the resume and hard proof right in front of our eyes. I totally get the message - the grass is not greener on the other side - jorb and loftar are professionals and they have proven themselves as developers, as far as I am concerned. However, I think jorb could be a little bit more giving to a community that wants to grow but feels the devs don't care enough to give us a few more tools to make that happen while they work on Haven 2.0.
Champie

Postby Tamasin » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:11 am

JohnCarver wrote:
Tamasin wrote:I have another question please!

Yes, we consider purity to be a very relevant part of the end-game and we consider the end-game thus far to be hugely non-functional or non-existent. Those who have been able to claw their way through the steep learning curve find themselves rewarded for a matter of months before quickly running out of things to do.

Currently the various items will be less dependent on each other. We would by lying if we said we didn't enjoy the grand scope and ambition that was a purity system where every item could have unique implications and effects on every other item. In reality, we do not feel that the balance necessary to achieve such a system is the appropriate allocation of effort. It is our goal to "roll out" purity in more meaningful ways in smaller but complete circles. That is to say you will be able to get object A to slowly and steadily rise in purity while other items in the game may still yet flounder in no real way to advance them until we reach that system in the development cycle. In the end, we hope to have Purity on most of what you recognize to have it today, just different systems in which you will raise it for different industries.

Oh, and we are not a fan of purity on structures. Breaking your stuff to build better stuff never sat right with us. We are not opposed to an "upgrade" system but for now are leaning towards the abandonment of structure purity. We don't like the idea of one player gaining 60% seeds and then immediately voiding the early-game grind for other purity pursuers. This means we are strongly looking into the pros and cons of field purity as a way to mitigate crop purity to be solely dependent on transferable goods.

wow :D

this is really exciting!

FIELD PURITY omg please yes
Tamasin
Customer

Postby Binks » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:21 am

JohnCarver wrote:We have 6 compensated developers who have been actively sitting and taking part in our round-table discussions and who will greatly impact the decisions and future of the title.

Will we get to meet the rest of the team? Or will only you and totallymeow be talking directly to the community? One thing I liked about Jorb and Loftar is they talked to the average player on an almost daily basis.
Binks

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements