A Brave New Salem

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: A Brave New Salem

Postby Procne » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:58 am

Why no purity on inspirationals? That's one of the reasons to raise purity. If purity stays for gluttony only then I will probably completely drop it off, as I rarely glutton - there's no point if someone doesn't PvP.

No purity on structures? So clay, metal, wood purity will be gone too?
Procne

Postby JohnCarver » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:17 am

Our main issue with Purity on inspirationals is the extreme modifiers make some inspirationals far too powerful compared and contrasted to others and you quite simply stop making certain inspirationals because "They cannot be made pure". Now of course we could simply lower the modifier on Purity to be so small that even a 100% inspirational of this or that doesn't become the spammable insp of choice, however, that doesn't seem fun.

Inspirationals will have adjustments to their points via another mechanism that we feel is easier controlled, balanced, and adds more fun than to simply see 80% lovers lockets that knock the socks off any other insp. in terms of raw points awarded. It should also be noted that in the August patch the way you gain inspirational points is being adjusted to be less punishing while still discouraging the spamming of the same thing over and over.

Purity will be for Gluttony, Tools, Animal Husbandry, Water & future systems we deem viable for the mechanic. Trying to make purity do and effect anything and everything is exactly what we believe led to a path where it became unfinished and overly complicated for most players.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Bearcub » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:39 am

JohnCarver wrote:Trying to make purity do and effect anything and everything is exactly what we believe led to a path where it became unfinished and overly complicated for most players.

Of course it's complicated but what is the reason to make it too simple (how the game with permdeath could be simple?! :P ). I'd rather see the purity on the smelter than making 0% lockets- people would still have a chance to rise the metal q(if it's soft cap). From your current words I remember the joke about WOW and that wasn't funny the same as now :( I agree that some inspirationals are easily got rid after a while, but because of its simplicity it's very useful in the beginning and after, e.g. taste of the new world still needed if you lack a few points.
Trade is the first step to the diplomacy.
Diplomacy is a tool for unification.
Then be honest with your customers to make new bonds!
Bearcub

Postby Thor » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:48 am

If you are planning to nerf ore purity, I suggest you replace high purity lockets with more craftable C&D inspirationals.
Most of high end C&D inspirationals are hard to obtain:
- WSS, it makes no sense to study this since you can slot or sell it with a high price.
- Foetid Ooze, a RARE drop on RANDOM chance.
- Brick of Fallen Sodom & Gomorrah, RANDOM chance again.
- The Golem of Prague, indirectly on RANDOM chance via digging + there is not much need to dig since the ground is relatively flat anyways compared to the previous world.
saltmummy wrote:You sad sad little man, my heart weeps for you. Better not go outside or your thin, tissue paper like skin might spontaneously rupture while your fragile sensibilities violently shatter spraying salt and urine all over the street.
Thor

Postby JohnCarver » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:56 am

What about thornbush flowers! ¦]
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Thor » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:58 am

JohnCarver wrote:What about thornbush flowers! ¦]

Oh god you are so mean :lol:
saltmummy wrote:You sad sad little man, my heart weeps for you. Better not go outside or your thin, tissue paper like skin might spontaneously rupture while your fragile sensibilities violently shatter spraying salt and urine all over the street.
Thor

Postby Procne » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:49 am

Having come from HnH I'm used to everything having quality and me being able to improve it over time. So I'm reluctant to let it go. Obtaining better quality resources, improving quality of infrastructure and finally all consumables was fun. By removing purity from structures and inspirationals you get rid of a mechanic considered as core by many HnH veterans. So I hope you know what you're doing. I don't know anything about this new system, but I think it should still allow improvements over time.
Procne

Postby Potjeh » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:23 am

Yeah,I'm not sold on that either.
Potjeh

Postby Kandarim » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:58 pm

I thought the whole point was to move more to a grind that can be performed in-base, rather than a grind that needs to be done by wandering (i.e. mine prospecting, purity foraging, ...), so wouldn't that fit in with what you are asking?

edit: oh, re-reading I noticed JC spoke about removing purity from some items. I feel this shouldn't be done either, if anything more stuff needs purity (all buildings and tools and so on, as far as I am concerned). If it's too complicated for people they can always ignore it (like I am doing currently with the produce purity while waiting for the update :) )
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby neored9 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:01 pm

Purity inspirations broke the old world. Certain people had over 1000 Stocks. I don't think that fits in with JC's idea of late game or high end skills.
neored9

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements