Bug fixes: Purity

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Bug fixes: Purity

Postby TheBatman » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:44 am

lol @ the "we're only two people!" excuse. salem can be pretty much recreated entirely in minecraft using a couple mods with far, far, far less development time and resources (mods dont have cash shops). the reason why salem is unfinished and full of terrible design decisions is simply because you're incompetent when it comes to game design - nothing more, nothing less.

you guys seem to be capable programmers but its very obvious that any programming talent is being held back by a severe lack of game design know-how. you seem to have Notch syndrome - its where your ego is so massive that you cant see past it to find the flaws in what youre doing and any time someone tries to point them out you get butthurt and defensive about it. minecraft also had this problem until mods started coming out and notch came to the realization that he wasnt nearly as talented as he thought he was. as such he ended up hiring someone else and passed off development to them. the game exploded in popularity afterwards and now they're all making millions.

so... whats the difference? minecraft was developed by a single person with no funding at all and even in beta it was more "complex" and "enormous in scope" than salem currently is. you have twice the manpower from the start plus funding from paradox (at least until they realized you were a lost cause and bailed) and yet you struggle to break 200 concurrent players. permadeath salem-style minecraft mods have tens of thousands of players so it's not an issue of nobody wanting a permadeath crafting game, either. at some point youre going to have to realize the problem is you.

either that or you simply want your work to continue being shoddy (and i cant image anyone would put so much time into something without caring for it). everyone currently playing is doing so because we see the potential haven/salem have. why cant its own developers?

do you care more about making a game for yourself and loftar? or do you care about making a game for your playerbase/fans? because you're currently doing the former and i think you'd be happier (and wealthier) if you did the latter instead.

ps - you dont have to apologize to me for any harsh remarks, as i wont apologize for mine. i dont like you so its only fair that you dont like me, either. however i think we both want this game to be more than it currently is and i say what i say because of that.
TheBatman

Postby jorb » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:47 am

TheBatman wrote:lol @ the "we're only two people!" excuse. salem can be pretty much recreated entirely in minecraft using a couple mods with far, far, far less development time and resources

So why are you here instead of in your improved minecraft recreation full of talent and win?
jorb

Postby jwhitehorn » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:49 am

jorb wrote:@ Chief & D-Dawg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZvarRe-XVQ

Chief PeePooKaKa
MM Tribe
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
jwhitehorn

Postby TheBatman » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:22 am

jorb wrote:
TheBatman wrote:lol @ the "we're only two people!" excuse. salem can be pretty much recreated entirely in minecraft using a couple mods with far, far, far less development time and resources

So why are you here instead of in your improved minecraft recreation full of talent and win?

for the same reason why im going to the carribean this summer instead of someplace nicer like french polynesia - ive already been to the latter. more is not always more and better is not always better if you feel youve already gotten all something has to offer.
TheBatman

Postby Tonkyhonk » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:00 am

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby iamah » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:05 am

The good side of this is players care about Salem enough to commit a lot of energy and then rage about it. I hope the devs realize this and don't get too bummed about it.

If you Salem player want a small game that doesn't make millions to progress, you better give a positive feedback, post your opinions nicely and maybe the next time the devs sit down to work they will be motivated to create instead of bummed down by raging comments.

The good thing is Salem manages to engage players so much they go crazy sometimes. It's strange but maybe Salem should start thinking in ways of easing the psychological drain that makes players break down. I have no idea if its possible or how, though.
iamah

Postby Champie » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:39 am

iamah wrote:It's strange but maybe Salem should start thinking in ways of easing the psychological drain that makes players break down. I have no idea if its possible or how, though.

Agreed, but some speculate that Jorb would perish without the constant flow of tears to nourish him :)

Perhaps Jorb needs to work on extracting higher purity tears rather than a greater quantity of low grade tears. Not only would these higher purity tears give him great strength, but they would eliminate the player rage penalty for too many low grade tears.

In other words, perhaps Jorbtar need to redesign the tears mechanic to make the game less psychosis inducing.

This is just an idea spun from your comment. It doesn't help that some players act out the same kind of destructive manipulation found in real world political, financial, legal, religious, and social institutions. Maybe Salem is a sociological experiment designed to see if the players can be forced to demand their owns tears just like marketing and advertising tries to sell ourselves to ourselves?

Meanwhile, there are players who are happy to play in a hole in Providence after the thrill of a hill lost its appeal.
Champie

Postby twram » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:54 am

Both loftar and I also come with a side-order of lazy

Shocked
twram

Postby Banok » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:22 am

Pls go back to playing minecraft batman and refrain from making anymore posts that stupid. minecraft has absolutely no complexity, its an incredibly simple game, and no matter of mods will make it anything like salem. your mention of "permadeath" makes me laugh, there is not even 1 days worth of progression in that game to lose.
Banok

Postby naosnule » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:53 am

darnokpl wrote:
darnokpl wrote:
jorb wrote:Top five list of all humours.

Blood
Phlegm
Yellow Bile
Black Bile

How about make list like this accessible all the time just like server status http://login.salemthegame.com/portal/state ?

Updated every 24 hours... so if someone will try to do something nasty with biles people will let you know very fast:)
Do I have to write something that makes you guys angry to have simple yes/no/possible "soon"/gtfo? :cry:

mib_q0wx5g: Oh and before darnok starts annoying me again, would it be easy for you to implement an automatic "check" like server status for the highest biles on the server?
loftar: I already have that.
loftar: That's how we checked the humours as reported in yesterday's announcement thread.
mib_q0wx5g: Could you make it public like the server status?
loftar: No.
naosnule

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements