Game Development: A Fortunate Providence

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Re: Game Development: A Fortunate Providence

Postby Hardsun » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:27 pm

H&H mining system is superior - much more details and layers plus veins looks much more logical and dont make mines 100% source of infinite high-Q metal - probably just because Salem mining was never actually finished. Hopefully they will take best from both games and stick with developing this last game. While i do like Salem potentian and basics more (and graphics wise of course - this one important as i think it takes A LOT of time to make this for new game, time that can be spent on developing systems we have already), i still feel H&H has more details and polishing in some game systems - be it mining or others. On the other hand farming and cooking in Salem are more complex and intresting then H&H ones (we need cheese ! :D ) Boards could be intresting but now its more of time-sink.
I would prefer they would stick with Salem development but since bad start it looks impossible to lure many new players ingame - and thats the only thing capable to make mmo alive - it cant be only 300 H&H hardcore veterans. In most mmos hardcore gamers generate most intresting dramas and inspiration for other 90% of players. The reality is those 90% that makes world alive, while being inspired by hardcore gamers deeds, actually cant or dont wish to do same - but still they do need something to dream of.
ps: I wonder what would eve-online look like if CCP would start new game every 2 years... and i do remember eve-online of 2004 and the difference is huge compared to 2014. And usually it was better to read about big dramas/great battles then to actually take place in one due to technical issues or metagaming - still those deeds did a good motivation and provide stuff to talk about for others.
Hardsun

Postby Inotdead » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:55 pm

Potjeh wrote:There's a reason they removed Ring of Brodgar from Haven. Teleporting around like that makes distance meaningless, and thus prevents interesting things from happening, like traveling merchants or roads.

Distance is meaningless in Haven anyway. You can fast travel with full inventory and while holding stuff, even more so once you get your crossroads running. People use fast travel to trade most of the time, pretty much the same way we use it in Salem.

Hardsun wrote:H&H mining system is superior...

I like your post. ;)
Claeyt wrote: I'm not saying it's right or justified that they steal or sell drugs or murder cops I'm saying that that's exactly what you would do if you were poor and desperate and Black.
Inotdead

Postby Potjeh » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:54 pm

Yeah, and Loftar didn't implement crossroads and idol port because he doesn't like it in Haven. Too bad Boston makes both games work the same at the end of the day.
Potjeh

Postby Inotdead » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:19 pm

Potjeh wrote:Yeah, and Loftar didn't implement crossroads and idol port because he doesn't like it in Haven. Too bad Boston makes both games work the same at the end of the day.

Ah, okay, I can see how Boston becomes a questionable idea if you want to get rid of fast travel completely. That makes sense.
Claeyt wrote: I'm not saying it's right or justified that they steal or sell drugs or murder cops I'm saying that that's exactly what you would do if you were poor and desperate and Black.
Inotdead

Postby Guyapollo » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:20 pm

Inotdead wrote:
Dallane wrote:
If you actually think that the constant harassment people get from trading, rampant scaming, barrel jackers, harassment from MM that you are on the list, nonstop spam from bidas about the latest person thats undercutting him, ****** is a sin against the gods is good then there is something wrong with you.

We should be the ones to make a central location for socializing instead of being coddled by paradox.

Also there ARE other means to socialize with the community. The fact you apparently don't know where to go for this means you aren't using boston like you say you are.

Aright, point taken ;) Still it's not always that bad.

Potjeh wrote:It is. Barter stands FTW :mrgreen:

I actually like the stands. But I think I like Salem's centralized hub a bit more.

Okay, what if we had a central area, but you could only fast travel once you reach a specific skill or build a specific construction or may be both? And you would build your own stands there, but only a limited amount (i.e 1) pro village is allowed or somethng like that?
What I mean is that we could probably make Boston good with a bit of thinking.

OR
Instead of handing the town to the players, it starts as noting and you can buy plots of land from and NPC (so they can have a little protection on investment) and we do with the capitol what we want. Hell we could even elect a Mayor (or Governor) that can higher guards. (kind of) like it was IRL.
All they have to give us is a Venture Hall, where the banker and mailman stand, and maybe their cash stall.

Make the vender stalls a recipe and the plots for the vender stalls manageable by the Governor

edit: for got the last part
Guyapollo

Postby Hardsun » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:27 pm

Intresting idea btw. That could lead to at least one really BIG town in game with player owned shops and other structures. Pretty safe inside and around town but probably not so safe to travel to :D
Probably bussiness and trading center with some crafting emphasis... Would be nice to see envoiroment wilds being more dangerous to survive, still lucrative in tems of profit - currently the risk is more or less all the same except darkness may be.
The main problem with current Boston teleport system is alt trading, alt moving stuff itc - we need to either limit this ability (1 time per irl day ?), or leave alts more like shopkeepers in Boston. Or turn it off completelly - but people would need some transportation system to actually deliver their goods to Boston - be that big rivers where they can use barges or wagons with bulls (or anything else that would allow mass transportation of goods and wont take 5-6h of simple running ... and probably we will have some nice opportunity for pvp and robbing merchants :twisted: )
Hardsun

Postby alloin » Mon May 26, 2014 3:09 pm

jorb wrote:And I looked, and behold a pale horse.

Horses ?
jorb wrote:all I see is misplaced machismo and a lot of very cheap talk. ^^

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

Postby saffgee » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:57 pm

Revelation 6:8 I believe; the pale horse of pestilence ! :o
saffgee
Customer

Previous

Return to Announcements